What's new

DRIVESHAFT TECH IN CHIT CHAT WANTS: 74'' 7K RPM

xr-nut

GROUP W BENCH
Member Number
Loc
BFK. Bum Fuck Kansas
Like the title says, looking for a long drive shaft that can handle 7k rpm or higher.

Car is a 2000 silverado long bed truck.

I have contacted one custom driveline shop, they told me I cannot build one for those numbers. If I want a 2-piece they will do that. They will build a 5'' aluminum at 74 3/4'' but say I am limited to 6k rpm.

Any leads for a different answer? :laughing:

From their website

1718723321008.png

Critical Speed Chart – Precision Shaft Technologies Custom Driveshafts

Maybe it's just not a good idea though?

Carbon shafts are awesome too but if it's not needed I think I'd rather not have one.

thats who i called. I just dont like the answer I was given. :lmao:

:shaking:

Call The Driveshaft Shop. Their motto is "We specialize in the impossible" They can help you out....

Last edited:
or gears

he probably ain't getting much use outta first gear anyways
since you brought it up. current gear is 3.73. it only makes 500hp at the tires. it hooks up really well with the 275/50 tires. I have a 4.10 rear Im thinking about putting in. bench racing it, I'm thinking it might get me a few more mph in a mile.(?) get up to speed quicker and hold overdrive longer, pull overdrive better. currently 145 in the mile, would like to break 150.

since you brought it up. current gear is 3.73. it only makes 500hp at the tires. it hooks up really well with the 275/50 tires. I have a 4.10 rear Im thinking about putting in. bench racing it, I'm thinking it might get me a few more mph in a mile.(?) get up to speed quicker and hold overdrive longer, pull overdrive better. currently 145 in the mile, would like to break 150.
wrong direction
go with 3.08s or thereabouts

Because why?
Well looking at that chart it might be marginal at that length, and I assume there are downsides to using a CF shaft, they are not near as tough as a aluminum or steel in regards to handling, road debris etc.

And they ain't cheap...

Call The Driveshaft Shop. Their motto is "We specialize in the impossible" They can help you out....

I have a call into action machine, waiting on a return call with details. I'll call them next. thanks

Yea yer gettin long for what you are doing.

Pretty much get the 5" shaft an ease it past 6k and see what happens. Or I'm thinkin you oughtta start looking at carbon

wrong direction
go with 3.08s or thereabouts
For sure, I understand that. Maybe if I was running land speed 2 to 3 miles. But in just one mile......again, my thoughts are to pull harder to OD then longer and harder in OD. maybe I am thinking about it wrong.

Yea yer gettin long for what you are doing.

Pretty much get the 5" shaft an ease it past 6k and see what happens. Or I'm thinkin you oughtta start looking at carbon
see above. they (pst) told me no on the carbon, too much heat.

so the issue is the 6k rpm. In 3rd at 6k Im running 115ish. I need to get to 140 (tech speed) for the road race. sustained speed in the high teens to lows 20s. Im not mathing to see what the rpm is, but it has to be higher than 6k. waiting on call back from engineer at one of the shops mentioned above.

Im currently running those numbers with the OE drive shaft. If you read and believe the internet lore, those are rubber lined. Speed separates the rubber from the aluminum resulting in bus loads of nuns and infants perishing. :eek:

Do you know where the engine makes power? Assuming the 275/50 is for a 16" rim and you have a 0.75 over drive, with 3.73s you should be at about 5100 rpm at 145mph. A change to 4.10's will raise you to 5600rpm.

or pull in direct instead of OD and slow the driveshaft down by a lot
also lose less power through gearing up the speed then back down again

Top Back Refresh