What's new

Do You Wheel Anymore?

I'm still hanging on. I never get out anywhere near as much as I would like to anymore but I still enjoy it when I do. Sometimes, the wheeling is more tame than it once was and then other times it is still balls to the wall. So many people have migrated to SXS's and sold their heeps or buggies but I just can't get into them.

Yes, still wheeling on regular basis. Same rig (in various stages of modification) since 2001,

Haven't "wheeled" in at least 5 years, would rather take out either of the dirt bikes or the ATV to cover rough ground.

The DD ford raptor is plenty capable, but I don't want to have to work on it if something breaks.

I can definitely see the appeal of ATVs and SXS over a dedicated trail rig, but they are over 20K for most of them.

Yeah, I still wheel but not as much these days. I do a lot more camping/hiking these days. I still own 3 4x4s though

I have't been wheeling since 2013 we moved in 2014 house came with lots of projects and put up a pole barn also both still need some finishing here and there kinda never ending. We also had are first kid in 2016 and recently pickup a TJ to do some trails and camping with. I'm not sure on what to do with my first gen pickup I was single when I built it really didn't get to wheel it very long then life got busy. I'm planning on a few trips in the jeep this summer local places not much time for road trips

As often as I can, still upgrading my ol cj7. Had it since 05 and I upgrade what I break. Just got it a nice enclosed trailer that doubles as my tent. I'm more of a spectator. Been to a few races. KOH is the mecca. Never been, but I'm getting set up to be mobile af.

Haven’t in a while. Most of what I do now is to get to hunting or fishing spots. We like in south TX, so we can drive down PINS, but that’s the only really close thing.

-ish...

It has been an evolving hobby for us for the past 16 years (XJ on 32's up to two different rigs on 37's and tons). I sold the last rig right before the world went sideways in March, so for the first time in a decade and a half, I'm without a wheeler, and it feels odd.

But with the wife's health issues (spine/neck) not getting better and the addition of two kids, we are reevaluating how we get out into the woods. We are gravitating more toward destination/adventure wheeling rather than crawling. Which means that it was getting silly to driver the crawlers for 14+ hours, to go run on fire roads in the mountains when her CRV would do about 90% of the stuff we were doing.

So once I figure out what's going on with my job, we'll likely build something much more comfy/efficient for our long distance exploring (Ex: XJ on 31's with lockers), and if the resources are there, build something much more trail orientated for when I want to go be dumb. ...cuz the dumb is still there, and I really miss climbing stupid stuff :grinpimp:

Long winded way to say we're out of it for now, but shooting to get back into it sooner than later. We'll see if that happens like I hope it will. If not, we're hiking every weekend, so we're still getting plenty of woods time in!

Yes, I'm actually "building" my samurai with the hopes of having it ready for a few runs this summer. Still not as much as I'd like to go, but I'm not giving it up anytime soon.

Been doing a lot of dispersed car camping trips in Arkansas with my wife and some friends this year, I'm pretty sure my Power Wagon has gotten more trail miles than the samurai :laughing::laughing:

Sold my shit 4 years ago.

Bought a Bro-Lite short course Ranger. Was fun until the series fell apart. That truck is about to be parted and scrapped.

Downhill mountain biking has been my escape lately.

Not really anymore.

TJ is my daily driver and I use it to get me to the spots I need for wildlife photography. Definitely not real wheeling.

Click image for larger versionName:	11293.jpegViews:	0Size:	710.0 KBID:	4642

Lil Bob wheeling last time with a group.....I actually drive that as my main vehicle with 35s generally....hoping the b2 will be used more often.

never been much for organized wheeling. My Back is Fawked, and I have gotten myself into some bad situations lone exploring. Need new winch for sure. I was getting my fix doing recovery for many years but I am rarely home the last 5 years..

I am back to a point where everything i own needs work and physically I am very limited. First time I have really wondered if I would be having to stay on the roads. I guess it will hinge on what my son wants to do.

I put the bronco 2 back together and he seems interested in that now. Been up my wallet for a 1000 rzr the last year till he was rowing through the gears in the b2.

So I have some hope to struggle along.

Last edited:
so far this year i have spent 9 days solo wheeling in jv. was a freaking blast.... the rig needs a bit of repair still but I'm probably going to go again for a quick trip and see what gives.

Nope, I only wrench on the vehicles I need to keep running to get us to work. Thinking about putting the Jeep up for sale.

Building guns and Armour for reenactment these days.

Not so much. Nothing hardcore for sure. Sold my buggy over 10 years ago and put together dirt road pounder XJ. I might drive it back and forth to work once a week. It sees dirt maybe an embarrassing 3 -4 times a year. Got way into mountain biking and running. Just recently sold our old tent trailer and purchased a New 23 foot travel trailer. A couple of other projects take up space in the garage, a 1968 MGB, Kids bikes, guns, hunting and fishing stuff and everything else to keep all the addictions running.

Yep. In my 60's and still wheeling as much as I can. My biggest limitation is most of my friends don't want to go as often as I do and I don't fit in with the younger crowd. I typically wheel out of state 4-5 times a year and in state close to once a month. (although with Covid it's been reduced this year) I really enjoy harder stuff and with a pretty decent crawler, the mild stuff got boring so we picked up a second Jeep for mild stuff and it doubles as my daily driver to keep miles off my tow rig.

I can definitely see the appeal of ATVs and SXS over a dedicated trail rig, but they are over 20K for most of them.

Yeah, the only way I could make that make sense for me is if I lived somewhere like Moab where there were tons of trails to ride and I could also drive it on the street.

i sold off my last rock crawler last week. but i still have my 97 lexus with ele lockers that i end up engaging every time i go up my driveway in Colorado. and i'm taking the grand kids out next week for a bunch of trail riding. but i have really been wanting to build a rock bouncer/mega truck. i have all the shit laying around, but i have to do my driveway first.

Haven't gone wheeling in 6-7 years I think. I used to DD something I could wheel and get out almost every weekend to some degree. I traded the last dd/wheeler for a Mustang, everything I've had with 4 wheel drive since then has either been too big/nice/incapable to hit trails in.That and every time I went it seemed like there were more and more belligerently drunk asshats to worry about.

I'd like to get back into it but I lack the funds for the time being, restoring clapped out dirt bikes takes up most of my free time and money.

Last edited:
Does raving around on the beach a few times a year count?

I have a wheeler, but don’t get to go out as much as I like. I plan on fixing that problem

I sold the buggy because the family just wasn't into it, they are way more into the boat and dirt bikes. I do still have a mildly built TJ that I inherited from my dad. Even if I use it once a year Ill keep it.

Yup, heading to Moab in a few hours. We’ve got coyote canyon reserved for Saturday . Probably run big balls. Sucks balls that bfe is closed. Pic in my avatar was taken at the entrance to upper helldorado. Was supposed to go to sand hollow a month ago. Canceled by covid.

Define "wheel"

If your surrounded by pavement then I sorta get it, but if you live in "never plow" land, then yeah, I wheel. Four to six months out of the year if your not in 4wd with lockers, your not going home.

Now, recreational wheeling ? Oh hell yeah. Kinda odd I suppose, but you have your "everyday rigs" that you just sorta drive, just so happens that allot of that time is in 4 wheel drive. Funny as fuck, my ex-inlaws always questioned the "big tires" sort of thing.............but then again they questioned roll cages tied to into the frame also, but I digress. Yeah, I run a built 4x4 because I really don't like walking home, and that's my daily driver.

Other than mud, I love to wheel. Granted, you have to deal the "mud" season every spring and fall, but I HATE it. We have that shitty ass clay that is impossible to ever get completely washed off. A couple of play 4x4's, well, 4 that are currently running. The high hood does not count. Purely for sand. Allot of chrome, polished SS, sand paddles f/r, and a pristine body. So it ONLY goes out when it is warm and sunny. Candy ass, I know.

Other than the road bikes (motorcycles) everything is a 4x4, only one is not running detroits f/r, that's the 2018 F150. Some sort of flaky ass switch on the dash to "lock" the rear diff, but I would not bet my life on it.

Lockers, big ass winches F/R, and yeah...........welcome to living where you piss off the back porch, raise hell at 3:00am while burning slash and test your new handloads outside the shop door.

Top Back Refresh