What's new

Do You Wheel Anymore?

I try to go as often as possible. We currently have a very mild 96 4runner (33s, rear locker and winch) which does a lot of dirt time year round. It's getting slider this week and going to add to the skid plating that I bought.

I have a 1 ton 90 4runner but lost it in the 2018 camp fire. I tried a beater sidekick, but it just constantly breaks. Nothing like a Toyota or samurai. Even dipped my my toe in the :rainbow:sxs:rainbow: world when I was working constantly and had more time than money.

Now I'm back to collecting parts for a real crawler. I think the front axle and tcase from my burnt rig are rebuildable. I've been slowly adding parts to the pile. Just need to decide what to put them under. I definitely don't want another 4 door rig, too heavy.

I don't get out wheeling near a much as a few years ago. In what little i have, it seems those side x side ATVs have become far more popular than built, slightly modified, or ratty "who give a crap if it gets flopped" Jeeps and the like. I hope these screaming little annoying SxS rides aren't the future of so called wheeling.

Yes, but it's been a little while. Building a new rig now, guess I should make a build thread. Hoping to have this one ready to roll for Trail Hero this year. I make a point of taking the kids wheeling, camping, etc., when I can. Good family time kind of things.
​​​​​

Does dirt backroads at Ag farms count as wheeling?

Still awaiting to SAS the 4Runner-

I busted my rig up pretty good in August of 18. I spent months collecting parts, Parts I wanted not needed...

Finally got the rig all back together after about 16 months and have gone legit wheelin 1 time. Done a few recoveries.

After all was said and done I should have just abandoned the redo and focused on the new chassis.

Thousands spent on stuff that wont be reused in the new build.

During all of this I have traded a few different rigs and can't seem to just leave anything alone and drive it, hell I traded a SAS project that I was spending money on for a YJ that I am driving now that I have already bought One Tons for.

I need more focus and time:laughing:

Do you wheel anymore? Haven't in close to 5 years now.
If not, when did you quit? About 5 years ago when I sold my RZR to build a garage.
Why did you quit? Took a new job away from family and friends. Was to hard to try and get people to commit to a time and day to go. So sold the RZR so I could fund my new garage.
Think you'll ever get back into it? I would like to get another SxS at some point. I do miss getting out in the woods with friends. Do have some friends that have recently gotten SxS so might be the spark to get something else.

..as much as I can.
Last year we ran 2 international competitions, 6 national and 6 regional. All between May and October so it gets to be plenty wheeling.

Rec-wheeling gets to be more rare when you're racing..

Not in a decade... but I will again, soon.

The ex- was horrible with finances, and it got to the point that I had to sell the 4Runner along the way. I never picked up another toy for offroad, and concentrated on trying to fix my own financial world. In the end, Bankruptcy was the only way forward.

These days, I am in a much better place, although the new lady doesn't appreciate the finer side of offroading. Yet. She's been once in her life back in the day as a passenger, and they scared the shit out of her along the edge of a cliff. Not exactly the type of wheeling for a newcomer to the activity.

I now have a beat-down FJ62 that I am fixing/building for a true offroad toy. The body is already shot, so there's no worries there. Hopefully in a couple years (I have several projects on my plate at once), I can take her somewhere to explore nature, forest roads, and 4x4 trails in it, and she'll learn to enjoy that time off the beaten path enough to move on to more technical trails with her. If not, I'll do the technical trails with a friend and his FJ instead.

photo510.jpg

I try to run the Rubicon AT LEAST 3 times a season....

With my wagon being such a PITA to pass the commie CA smog, it has been a challenge to get up there as much as I would like though. The last few times, I took my kids Willys.

Still wheel as much as I can. Kiddo turned 10 yesterday and getting him into it as I go. He’s already able to drive my manual trans Tracker on logging and mining roads. The virus is cramping my style but still sneaking out.

Nope. Parted out the truck in 2012-13ish and haven't been able to afford another since. Freshly divorced from the leach I'll likely be able to build another this year.

Haven't had a trail rig in many years. All my wheelin friends sold their shit and I don't wheel by myself so I sold mine. I am however hitting some trails in my buddys new Rubicon and other buddys SxS this Saturday.

Yes, do quite a bit of wheeling these days, will do more as they start opening the areas up after this BS lockdown.

The interesting part for me is instead of a big built rig with lockers and doublers etc, I've been wheeling a pretty dang stock JK on 33s with open diffs for almost a year and a half now, so it's been a learning curve on how to drive a small tired open diff'd 4x4 all over again. Just got 35s, waiting on a lift to show up, so it'll get a little bigger, but not much.

Haven't wheeled since I sold my samurai which was about 2 years ago. I've got 2 young kids, a house to fix, and a business to run which means my wants and hobbies are all fucked. I'm thinking of finding an old flat fender to fix up to make a daily driver and trail bitch tho.

Going to take the 100 up and find some trails near Shaver or Bass lake today. Having 2 little kids and a wife means that days in the cruiser are more common than days in the YJ.

I'm in a Facebook based 4Runner group, and go do some dirt roads occasionally but no real rockcrawling.

Still have my old '97 TJ but haven't "wheeled" in years. A big part of that is how overcrowded the Front Range of CO trails are in recent years. Honestly, I never was much of a true "wheeler". I wheeled to get deeper into the backcountry to camp, fish, hike, etc. the hell away from people. So now that everyone and their brother has a very capable JK straight off the dealership lot and Google at their fingertips to find all the trails that used to just be local knowlege, well... it just fucking sucks.

Not like I started out wheeling... It was a common occurrence to find the hardest trails to all the cool fishing spots years ago. Now I am more into the getting out and camping/ mild wheeling. Slower paced and just as enjoyable. I may build a little sami down the road, but am having to much fun with the current set up.

Got rid of the last jeep last year. Around here most of the more advanced trails are closed or ATV only. Most of the "offroaders" and nothing more than overlander - so advanced car campers. Went on a few trail rides 2 years ago and there would be some random asian family in a minivan digging up ferns while everyone had lifted jeeps. Really showed that none of that crap is needed.

Got a TDI wagon now and go on just as many dirt roads and what passes for trails around here. Going to toss a skidplate and maybe some tiguan springs, end up with a subrauish thing that gets 40mpg. I care more about exploring and having something cheap enough to go whereever and haul camping/kayak/diving/guns/etc. Might build a little teardrop style camper soon.

There is a decent offroad park just down the road, but it seems to mostly be ATVs/SxSs. Maybe if all my other hobbies stop needing money I can buy one 😆

I cut my jeep in half right after KOH 2019, so haven't wheeled it since. I did have a buddy convinced me to go beat on the tow rig a little this last fall though.

R6Ww8gYh.jpg

I actually used to wheel almost every week back in high school and college until paying for broken parts got to be too expensive. Then I realized I could take a dirtbike and get to most of the places I wanted. I was happy with that until we had a kid. Then all of a sudden I realized I couldn't just throw him on a moto and take him all the cool places I wanted for a number of years, so I decided to get back into 4 wheels and remembered how much I love it.

I get out in the woods at least once a month. I go on an organized trail ride every Father's Day with a group from work and have been to 7 of the last 8 KOH. Couple trips with son in law in the razrs and to the Oregon dunes now and then.

I like to say i do but the rig has had a blown engine since September. Been riding the dirt bike a lot and got into the hard enduro scene so pretty much hit the same trails.

Not like I started out wheeling... It was a common occurrence to find the hardest trails to all the cool fishing spots years ago. Now I am more into the getting out and camping/ mild wheeling. Slower paced and just as enjoyable. I may build a little sami down the road, but am having to much fun with the current set up.

Yep, learned my lesson when I overbuilt a CJ-7 through HS. Locked fullsize axles front and rear, built 350, TH350 transmission, twin sticked D300, sprung-over with 2" lift springs on 38s. After they shut down Tellico, there was nothing within hundreds of miles to provide the slightest challenge. Sold it and bought the current TJ, slapped on a 2" coil spacer lift and 31s and had a blast. When I moved to CO, I sawzalled the front fenders to fit 33s and everything else is still bone stock. Had a blast. When you build an extreme rig, you need extreme trails. Keep it mild and you can have fun everywhere while only not being able to run the extreme trails. It's an easy decision of a trade-off IMO unless you live somewhere like Moab where there are plenty of extreme trails out your backdoor because at the end of the day, you're gonna be running the trails an hour or two from your backdoor 90% of the time anyway.

Yep, learned my lesson when I overbuilt a CJ-7 through HS. Locked fullsize axles front and rear, built 350, TH350 transmission, twin sticked D300, sprung-over with 2" lift springs on 38s. After they shut down Tellico, there was nothing within hundreds of miles to provide the slightest challenge. Sold it and bought the current TJ, slapped on a 2" coil spacer lift and 31s and had a blast. When I moved to CO, I sawzalled the front fenders to fit 33s and everything else is still bone stock. Had a blast. When you build an extreme rig, you need extreme trails. Keep it mild and you can have fun everywhere while only not being able to run the extreme trails. It's an easy decision of a trade-off IMO unless you live somewhere like Moab where there are plenty of extreme trails out your backdoor because at the end of the day, you're gonna be running the trails an hour or two from your backdoor 90% of the time anyway.

Eggzactly! :D

Yep, not as much as I would like. Too much other shit going on.

I haven't wheeled in a long time, and to be honest I don't know if I really ever did by most folks standards. In 2005 I found a site with mostly like minded folks while looking for some basic tech... I've just been hanging around since then.

Top Back Refresh