What's new

debate time - mountain lion deterrent

Yeah they scare the crap out of me. I feel like I’m always being watched. I know they would rather eat a deer, but still spooky

The way/method he was backing up was only motivating the lion to approach closer. That is how prey reacts.

Have any of you seen a Mountain Lion in the wild? I've seen tracks and scat but never an actual lion, and I've been in lion country since I was in Boy Scouts. We have quite a few Bobcat around here and they are not so shy and are seen on a pretty regular basis.
Kitty sees us...
We don't see Kitty..
At least in my experience.

O.P.
Sounds like Yer buddy is going to use a 22 to notify mother nature of his demise.

If he only wants the gun for noise he should be happy with a track and field starter pistol.

Or a set of sleigh bells tied to his shoe laces or pant cuffs. Won't stop a cat but everyone else will know a cat is in the area by the frenzied jingling...

I suggested that as well and or an air horn.

The only problem with air horns is people buy those little buggers that are only good for a couple seconds of noise.

Hound hunters have shot alotta stuff out of trees with small caliber guns.

That said a 22 isnt my idea of a defense gun.

Your buddy needs to go shoot a couple of those lil pistols before he buys one. Might surprise him

Yep, an old friend of my dad was a hound hunter, he always said he only took a .22 with him out in the boonies and he had killed quite a few cats. Said they were pretty soft and fragile. The only exception to the .22 rule was when they were chasing bear.

I was only a kid back when he used to stop by our house, so :confused::confused::confused:

The way/method he was backing up was only motivating the lion to approach closer. That is how prey reacts.

100%. He should've stood his ground, maybe even a careful, but deliberate advance on the cat.

That said, who knows what we all would do in the situation until we're in the situation. I do know how I handle big dogs that are aggressive and it is right back at them.

38+p will drop a mountain lion thats staring you down right now with a properly placed chest shot.... at least from 10-15 yards

As I posted earlier in the thread, yes. It was a Tom in his prime and he could have been on me in the blink of an eye. I was both awe struck at his build and how insignificant I was in the setting. At that distance, no small caliber will stop an attack fast enough. It is one thing to kill a stationary predator and another when it's running at you.
Not calling bullshit, just curious how you were able to determine sex.

Not calling bullshit, just curious how you were able to determine sex.

You know whats NOT in this picture ? :flipoff2:
A-female-Mountain-Lion-as-seen-from-behind-by-Jinx-McCombs.jpg

i think the FN 5.7 can defeat most all soft body armor, atleast they used to. i guess it would depend on the round you are using. obviously, through a pistol you lose some velocity, but there's no way a bear skull would be able to stop 5.7 rounds within 40-50 feet.

2,000 feet per second would do the trick, i think.
I love mine.

As Colion Noir says, "It's a 22 on PCP and crack."

38+p will drop a mountain lion thats staring you down right now with a properly placed chest shot.... at least from 10-15 yards

What ever happened with your creature problem ? I don't recall the details but you had a post about slaying some animal on or crossing your property.

What ever happened with your creature problem ? I don't recall the details but you had a post about slaying some animal on or crossing your property.
Isnt really a problem for me but my neighbors are loosing sheep weekly. Looks like a large male mountain lion on thier cams but I havnt seen it.

Last edited:
So what I didn't know is he was talking about 22 Win Mag rounds, not 22LR. When I looked up the LCR Ruger only shows it in the 22LR not the 22Mag. But I do see some reliability issues with the rimfire rounds due to them unseating from the cylinder when bumped or inverted?

Anyways he didn't have much luck at the gun shops, they kept trying to push fullsize or the Keltech PMR.

So what I didn't know is he was talking about 22 Win Mag rounds, not 22LR. When I looked up the LCR Ruger only shows it in the 22LR not the 22Mag. But I do see some reliability issues with the rimfire rounds due to them unseating from the cylinder when bumped or inverted?

Anyways he didn't have much luck at the gun shops, they kept trying to push fullsize or the Keltech PMR.
I have an lcr but carry this, its only slightly larger but holds 6 instead of 5 rounds and he can shoot light 38sp if he wants or 357.

jUst for shits n giggles i posed the question to total gf, she was born and raised in the mountains with her parents being sherrifs for 10-15 years.

She said oh absolutely fucking not. If the gun needs to be fired at all it will be AT the cat with intent to kill it and no way would it something that small.

of course regs are heavy on the side of caution but I did recall over the weekend that legal handguns to hunt big game require 500ftlbs of muzzle energy.

Top Back Refresh