What's new

Dead Pool - 2021

Lee William Aaker (September 25, 1943 – April 1, 2021)[1] was an American child actor, producer, carpenter, and ski instructor known for his appearance as Rusty of "B-Company" in the 1950s television program The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin.

Early years[edit]​

Aaker's mother, Mrs. Myles Wilbour,[2] was the owner of a dancing school in Los Angeles.[3] (Another source says that she "ran a children's theatre academy" and that when Aaker was 4, she had him "singing and dancing at local clubs.")[4]

Film[edit]​

On television as a young child, he started appearing uncredited at the age of 8 in films such as The Greatest Show on Earth (1952) and High Noon (1952).[1] He quickly moved to featured status by the end of that year.

He showed talent as the kidnapped Indian "Red Chief" in a segment of the film O. Henry's Full House (1952) and another kidnap victim as the son of scientist Gene Barry in The Atomic City (1952).

In 1953, he co-starred in the John Wayne western classic Hondo (1953) as the curious blond son of homesteader Geraldine Page.[1]

He also appeared in other film styles such as the film noir thriller Jeopardy (1953) with Barbara Stanwyck, the horse opera drama Arena (1953) with Gig Young, and the comedies Mister Scoutmaster (1953) with Clifton Webb and Ricochet Romance (1954) with Marjorie Main.

Television[edit]​

In 1953-54, Aaker was among the many child actors who auditioned for the role of "Jeff Miller" on the original 1954 Lassie series, which later aired as Jeff's Collie. That role went to Tommy Rettig. Two weeks later, Aaker won the role of "Rusty" on The Adventures of Rin-Tin-Tin, co-starring James Brown (1920–1992) as Lieutenant Ripley "Rip" Masters.[1] Aaker and Rettig were friends, and both shows were popular with audiences. The two actors and the two star dogs appeared together in a photograph used on the cover of the July 2, 1955 issue of TV Guide.[3]:236

Later years[edit]​

Aaker told a newspaper reporter that when he reached the age of 21, he was paid a $10,000 lump sum (equivalent to $82,400 in 2019) by the studio that produced Rin Tin Tin "and he spent the rest of the '60s traveling around the world 'as sort of a flower child.'"[5] Unable to find work as an adult actor, Aaker got involved as a producer and later worked as a carpenter.[1]

Personal life[edit]​

In the late 1960s, Aaker was married to Sharon Ann Hamilton for two years.[4] He resided in Mammoth Lakes, California, for many years and was the first adaptive sports instructor for Disabled Sports Eastern Sierra at Mammoth Mountain.[1] According to Paul Petersen, an advocate for former child actors, Aaker experienced poverty towards the end of his life, and also struggled with substance abuse. Petersen said Aaker died near Mesa, Arizona, on April 1, 2021, and was listed as an "indigent decedent". Petersen was arranging Aaker's burial.[6]

Recognition​

It is sad the way hollywood treated the kids back when

British actress Helen McCrory who was on the "Peaky Blinders" show & starred in "Harry Potter" films, died from cancer at 52-

British actress Helen McCrory who was on the "Peaky Blinders" show & starred in "Harry Potter" films, died from cancer at 52-

Helen Elizabeth McCrory OBE (17 August 1968[1][2] – 16 April 2021)[3] was a British actress. After studying at the Drama Centre London, she made her stage debut in The Importance of Being Earnest in 1990. Other stage roles include playing Lady Macbeth in Macbeth at Shakespeare's Globe, Olivia in Twelfth Night and Rosalind in As You Like It in the West End.

McCrory portrayed Cherie Blair in both The Queen (2006) and The Special Relationship (2010). She also portrayed Françoise in the film Charlotte Gray (2001), Narcissa Malfoy in the final three Harry Potter films, Mama Jeanne in Martin Scorsese's family film Hugo (2011), Clair Dowar in the James Bond film Skyfall (2012), Polly Gray in Peaky Blinders (2013–2019), Emma Banville in Fearless (2017), and Kathryn Villiers in MotherFatherSon (2019)

MILF-factor: 100,000% :smokin::smokin::smokin:
Yep.

Screenshot_2021-04-17 Helen McCrory.png

Cousin it died
Felix Anthony Silla (January 11, 1937 – April 16, 2021), also credited as Felix Cilla, was an Italian-born American film and television actor and stuntman, known for his recurring role as the costumed character of "Cousin Itt" on television's The Addams Family, with the voice usually provided by Anthony Magro (1923–2004). Silla also appeared in many other classic character roles.[2][3]

Biography[edit]​

Felix Silla was born in the small village of Roccacasale, Italy. He trained as a circus performer, came to the United States in 1955, and toured with the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus. His multiple talents as a bareback horse rider, trapeze artist, and tumbler brought him to Hollywood, where he became a stuntman, starting with the Gig Young-Shirley Jones vehicle, A Ticklish Affair. His best-known roles are Litvak, the maniacal, miniature Hitler who menaces George Segal in The Black Bird (his favorite role), and Cousin Itt on the TV show The Addams Family. He was also responsible for the physical performance of the robot Twiki in the TV series Buck Rogers in the 25th Century,[3] a role for which the voice was supplied by Mel Blanc or Bob Elyea. In part due to his short stature of 1.19 m (3 ft 11 in), he often doubled for children in such movies as The Towering Inferno, The Hindenburg, and Battlestar Galactica. Between movies, he frequently appeared in Las Vegas and Reno night clubs with his own musical combo, The Original Harmonica Band.[4]

His most famous role was television's Cousin Itt on The Addams Family. The character was not part of Charles Addams's original comic, but was introduced in the television series by Addams Family producer David Levy, debuting in the 1965 first season episode "Cousin Itt Visits the Addams Family", and appearing in a total of 17 episodes over the course of the show's two seasons.

Silla provided the voice of Mortimer Goth from The Sims 2, the best-selling video game of 2005. He also played one of the hang glider Ewoks in the film Return of the Jedi, and had a small role in the indie film Characterz.

Alma Wahlberg who starred in Wahlburgers(?) & mom to 9 children(Mark, Donnie, etc) passed at 78-

Alma Wahlberg who starred in Wahlburgers(?) & mom to 9 children(Mark, Donnie, etc) passed at 78-

Alma Wahlberg, Mother of Mark, Donnie Wahlberg, Dies at 78​

Alma Wahlberg, the mother of entertainers Mark and Donnie Wahlberg and a regular on their reality series “Wahlburgers," has died.

By Associated Press
|
April 18, 2021, at 2:18 p.m.

U.S. News & World Report
Alma Wahlberg, Mother of Mark, Donnie Wahlberg, Dies at 78
More
The Associated Press

FILE - In this Sunday, Jan. 16, 2005, file photo, Mark Wahlberg, executive producer of the HBO series "Entourage," and his mother Alma pose at the HBO party after the 62nd Annual Golden Globe Awards, in Beverly Hills, Calif. Alma Wahlberg, the mother of entertainers Mark and Donnie Wahlberg and a regular on their reality series "Wahlburgers", has died, her sons said on social media Sunday, April 18, 2021. She was 78. "My angel. Rest in peace," Mark Wahlberg tweeted. (AP Photo/Lisa Rose, File) THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
By LINDSEY BAHR, AP Film Writer
Alma Wahlberg, the mother of entertainers Mark and Donnie Wahlberg and a regular on their reality series “Wahlburgers,” has died, her sons said on social media Sunday. She was 78.

“My angel. Rest in peace,” Mark Wahlberg tweeted.
Donnie Wahlberg posted a longer tribute to his mother on his Instagram account.
“It’s time to rest peacefully, mom,” Donnie Wahlberg wrote. “I love you, miss you, thank you and will celebrate you, today and always.”
No information was given about the cause, date or location of her death. Donnie Wahlberg often posted about his mother on his accounts and in July updated his fans on her health, writing that she “didn’t remember much and was often confused but somehow she was still Alma.”
The Boston-born mother of nine became a household name thanks to her appearances on the A&E series “Wahlburgers,” about the family’s burgeoning burger chain.
“She made no apologies for who she was, but never put herself above anyone else. She kicked our butts if we messed up, kicked anyone else’s butts if they messed with us. Taught us right, made us pay the price when we were wrong,” Donnie Wahlberg wrote Sunday. “She was the epitome of the word grace.”
He also included a video of them dancing at his wedding to one of her favorite songs, “If I Could” by Regina Belle. He wrote that she danced to that song at each of her children’s weddings, but at his own, he surprised her by having Belle there to perform it live.
On the “Today” show in 2018, Alma Wahlberg opened up about her parenting and how hard it was early on. “I invented the craziest meals,” she said. English muffin pizzas were among her creations to feed her hungry lot.
More than a few of her children went on to great successes and fame. Her son Paul Wahlberg, who is the chef behind the namesake burger chain, also named the Alma Nove restaurant in Hingham, Massachusetts, after her.

“People know me as being the mother of famous children, and although this fact has brought many gifts into my life and has afforded me opportunities that may never have been possible otherwise, there is a whole lot more to my story than most people know,” Alma Wahlberg said in an interview with Boston’s WCVB-TV in 2018. “I’ve lived with alcoholism and abuse; struggled with poverty and experienced great wealth; lost so many that I’ve loved; struggle to raise nine children, and I love them more than anything else; watch them suffer, learn and come out on the other side; lost myself; found myself, again and again; and kept moving forward, no matter what.”
Alma Wahlberg is survived by eight children. Her daughter Debbie died in 2003.

I know it's a bit late, but I don't remember reading about him last year, Ian Holm

Sir Ian Holm Cuthbert CBE (12 September 1931 – 19 June 2020), known as Ian Holm, was an English actor. Beginning his career on the British stage as a standout member of the Royal Shakespeare Company, he later transitioned into a successful and prolific screen career portraying a variety of both supporting and leading characters, earning critical acclaim and many accolades in the process.[1][2]

Holm won the 1967 Tony Award for Best Featured Actor for his performance as Lenny in The Homecoming and the 1998 Laurence Olivier Award for Best Actor for his performance in the title role of King Lear. He was nominated for seven BAFTA Awards, winning Best Actor in a Supporting Role twice for The Bofors Gun (his film debut) and Chariots of Fire. His latter performance as athletics trainer Sam Mussabini was also nominated for an Academy Award.

His other well-known film roles include Ash in Alien, Mr Kurtzmann in Brazil, Francis Willis in The Madness of King George, Father Vito Cornelius in The Fifth Element, Mitchell Stevens in The Sweet Hereafter, the voice of Chef Skinner in Ratatouille, and older Bilbo Baggins in The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit film series.

Sunday Burquest, a contestant who beat breast cancer to compete on "Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X" has died from esophageal & ovarian cancer at 50-

Sunday Burquest, a contestant who beat breast cancer to compete on "Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X" has died from esophageal & ovarian cancer at 50-

Survivor's Sunday Burquest Dead at 50​

Nick Caruso
Sun, April 18, 2021, 1:51 PM·2 min read

90f8f9a33fa40db8c6655d692d2a53e9

The Survivor family has lost another castaway: Sunday Burquest, a contestant from the Millennials vs. Gen X season, died Sunday of esophageal and ovarian cancer. She was 50 years old.
Burquest, who was a pastor when she appeared on the competition series, announced her diagnosis last June, sharing that the cancer had spread to her lymph nodes and ovaries. Doctors had given her just months to live.

Suck it bigun.

Should be a sad day around these parts. :lmao:

Full story here. Walter Mondale, Ex-Vice President and Champion of Liberal Politics, Dies at 93

Walter Mondale, Ex-Vice President and Champion of Liberal Politics, Dies at 93​

Under Jimmy Carter, he was the first V.P. to serve as a genuine partner of a president. His own run for the top position ended in a crushing defeat.

00mondale-walter1-articleLarge.jpg

00mondale-walter1-articleLarge.jpg

Walter F. Mondale in 1983. “My whole life, I worked on the idea that government can be an instrument for social progress,” he said in 2010. “We need that progress. Fairness requires it.”Credit...George Tames/The New York Times
By Steven R. Weisman
April 19, 2021Updated 9:30 p.m. ET
Walter F. Mondale, the former vice president and champion of liberal politics, activist government and civil rights who ran as the Democratic candidate for president in 1984, losing to President Ronald Reagan in a landslide, died on Monday at his home in Minneapolis. He was 93.
Kathy Tunheim, a spokeswoman for the family, announced the death. She did not specify a cause.
A son of a minister of modest means, Fritz Mondale, as he was widely known, led a rich public life that began in Minnesota under the tutelage of his state’s progressive pathfinder, Hubert H. Humphrey. He achieved his own historic firsts, especially with his selection of Representative Geraldine A. Ferraro of New York as his running mate in 1984, the first woman to seek the vice presidency on a major national ticket.
Under President Jimmy Carter, from 1977 to 1981, Mr. Mondale was the first vice president to serve as a genuine partner of a president, with full access to intelligence briefings, a weekly lunch with Mr. Carter, his own office near the president’s and his own staff integrated with Mr. Carter’s.
In a statement released on Monday night, Mr. Carter wrote: “Today I mourn the passing of my dear friend Walter Mondale, who I consider the best vice president in our country’s history. During our administration, Fritz used his political skill and personal integrity to transform the vice presidency into a dynamic, policy-driving force that had never been seen before and still exists today.”

Throughout his career, Mr. Mondale advocated an assertive and interventionist role for the federal government, especially on behalf of the poor, minority groups and women.

“I’m a liberal or a progressive,” he said in an interview for this obituary in 2010. “I didn’t use the ‘liberal’ word much, because I thought it carried too much baggage. But my whole life, I worked on the idea that government can be an instrument for social progress. We need that progress. Fairness requires it.”
He furthered that cause during his 12 years representing Minnesota in the United States Senate, where he was a strong supporter of civil rights, school aid, expansion of health care and child care, consumer protection, and many other liberal programs. In 1974, he briefly explored running for president.

mondale-walter-adv-obit-slide-87GQ-articleLarge.jpg

mondale-walter-adv-obit-slide-87GQ-articleLarge.jpg

Mr. Mondale represented Minnesota for 12 years in the Senate. Mr. Mondale, second from right, was on hand when President Lyndon B. Johnson signed an open housing bill in 1968.Credit...Associated Press
Two years later, Mr. Carter, a former Georgia governor, wanted someone experienced in Washington when he chose Mr. Mondale as his running mate. Before joining the ticket, Mr. Mondale got a promise that he would have a close working relationship with Mr. Carter, with influence on policy, noting that he had seen Mr. Humphrey marginalized in that post by President Lyndon B. Johnson in the turbulent 1960s. Mr. Humphrey, a political mentor and fellow Minnesotan, urged him to accept the offer.

At the White House, Mr. Mondale was a leader of the administration’s liberal wing, frequently clashing with Southern conservatives as he argued for affirmative action and more help for the unemployed and other spending programs as the economy soured.
He was sharply at odds with the president in 1979 as energy prices spiked and lines at gasoline stations stretched around the block. Mr. Carter had decided to address the turmoil in a televised speech to the nation from the Oval Office about what he perceived to be a “crisis of confidence” in the American spirit. Mr. Mondale not only advised against the speech; he was “distraught” when he heard the plans for it, Mr. Carter later wrote.
In his memoir, “The Good Fight,” published in 2010, Mr. Mondale called the episode “the only serious falling out that Carter and I had in four years.” The address — known as the “malaise” speech, though that word was never used — was followed by the firing of several cabinet members and a plunge in Mr. Carter’s approval ratings, from which the president never recovered.
The Carter administration used Mr. Mondale for foreign assignments and for building domestic support for its foreign policy initiatives. His rapport with Prime Minister Menachem Begin of Israel helped bring about the peace treaty between Egypt and Israel negotiated by Mr. Carter at Camp David in 1978. Mr. Mondale then helped sell the treaty to the American Jewish community.
He also generated support in Congress for the Panama Canal Treaty and for nuclear arms negotiations with the Soviet Union.
“You can divide every vice president in American history into two categories: pre-Walter Mondale and post-Walter Mondale,” former Vice President Al Gore said.

Mr. Carter chose Mr. Mondale as his running mate in 1976. He was the first vice president to serve as a genuine partner of a president.Credit...James Garrett/New York Daily News Archive, via Getty Images
Having lost some internal arguments on domestic matters, Mr. Mondale remained loyal and stumped the country for Mr. Carter against a liberal challenge for the party’s nomination in 1980 by Senator Edward M. Kennedy of Massachusetts.

Mr. Kennedy assailed the administration’s budget cuts and deregulation of energy prices, but Mr. Mondale argued that liberals and conservatives alike needed to face up to the dangers of mounting deficits, which many economists said were stoking inflation.
He hammered the same theme running against Mr. Reagan in 1984, warning that deficits resulting from the Reagan tax cuts in 1981 also had to be reduced, in part by tax increases that he said were inevitable no matter who won.
“Let’s tell the truth,” he declared in his nomination acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention in San Francisco, referring to the need to tackle deficits. “Mr. Reagan will raise taxes, and so will I. He won’t tell you. I just did.”
The convention applauded his candor, but the Reagan camp pounced, gleefully portraying Mr. Mondale as favoring tax increases while the economy was surging. The Reagan campaign countered with an ad proclaiming that a new “morning in America” had dawned, and Mr. Reagan was swept back into office easily.
Mr. Mondale got less than 41 percent of the popular vote and lost every state except his native Minnesota, adding only the District of Columbia to his win column. (After his re-election, Mr. Reagan did end up raising some taxes.)
A rangy, square-built former college football player, roughly six feet tall, Mr. Mondale could appear formal and stiff in public. “I’m not good on TV,” he once said. “It’s just not a natural medium for me.”

Mondull is gone damn I thought he kicked the bucket years ago!
I wonder if he'll get a full DC funeral, with expresidents sleeping through the recitation of his multitude of acomplishments!

Mondull is gone damn I thought he kicked the bucket years ago!
I wonder if he'll get a full DC funeral, with expresidents sleeping through the recitation of his multitude of acomplishments!
You know it will be a gushing from Chuck, Nancy, Maxie and the rest of the kids that looked up to him.

Jim Steinman who wrote/produced huge hits for MeatLoaf, Air Supply, Celine Dion and Bonnie Taylor has died at 73-

Musician/Rapper Gregory Jacobs known as Shock G/Humpty Hump of "The Humpty Dance" song & helped start careers for hip hop artists with his Digital Underground. Let's note that Shock G helped produced Tupac with his first solo single "I Get Around" & first solo album "2Pacalypse Now", now dead at 57-

Musician/Rapper Gregory Jacobs known as Shock G/Humpty Hump of "The Humpty Dance" song & helped start careers for hip hop artists with his Digital Underground. Let's note that Shock G helped produced Tupac with his first solo single "I Get Around" & first solo album "2Pacalypse Now", now dead at 57-
Damn.

Came to post this. Sad month for the rap world

Motorcycle Legend Dick Mann dead at 87-

bigun need more info :beer:
Here ya go lad.
This is a hard one unlike actors and others this cat lived in the real world.
Wiki gives you the facts but there are others out there that will tell you more about the man behind the simple races he won and the way he changed the sport. I can recommend the book "Racer The Story Of Gary Nixon" will give you an idea what the barnstorming racers life was like.
Because of the 10,000 word limit I had to cut out everything about his frame designs, early life, life after he retired, awards...

This is one I truly mean Vaya Con DIos, and thank you for the memories

Dick Mann​

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
Dick Mann (June 13, 1934 – April 26, 2021) was an American professional motorcycle racer. He was a two-time winner of the A.M.A. Grand National Championship. Mann was inducted in the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America in 1993, and the Motorcycle Hall of Fame in 1998.[1] He was one of the few riders to ride motocross and Observed Trials as well as dirt flat tracks, TT (tourist trophy) and road racing.[2]
Mann was the second-winningest rider in AMA Grand National Series history with 24 national victories.[1] His career on the pro circuit spanned the early 1950s to the mid-'70s.[2] He was known for being one of the most talented and versatile riders, and for wearing a cheap straw hat while working on his motorcycle.[3]

Racing career[edit]​

1960s[edit]​

In 1963 Mann won his first AMA Grand National title.[1] He had five podium finishes. He clinched the title by winning on September 21 Ascot Park in Gardena, California.[2]

Mann continued to win races and place high in the points standings before his next title eight years later.[2] He also helped pioneer motocross during that time, and raced in several motocross races in the 1960s and early 1970s.[2] He represented the United States in the Trans-Atlantic Match Races.[1] The series faced little-known American racers against Great Britain's well-known pavement riders.[2]

1970s[edit]​

Mann started the decade with one of the biggest wins of his career.[2] He won the 1970 Daytona 200, a race that he had not won in fifteen attempts.[2][5] Mann beat former world champion Mike Hailwood, and rising stars Gene Romero and Gary Nixon.[2][6] It was the first win by Honda in an AMA national,[1] and it happened at the series' premiere event.

In 1971 Mann won his second Grand National title on a BSA.[4] He became the oldest series champion in the history of the series.[2] He won the 1971 season opener at the Houston TT. He won his second Daytona 200 in the second race of the season. The win earned him a spot on the May 1971 cover of the AMA magazine. Mann also won road races at Pocono Raceway and Kent, Washington.[2] He was named AMA's Most Popular Rider of the Year in 1971.[2] Mann became the first rider to win motorcycle racing's career Grand Slam by winning in Grand National on mile, half mile, TT, and road racing circuits.[2]

Mann won races in 1972.[2] His final win was at Peoria, the site of his first win.[4] He was competitive in 1973, and finished in the Top 10 in points at age 40.[2]

Mann retired in 1974.[2] He had raced in 240 nationals, and he finished in the Top 10 in points in every season except one between 1957 and 1973.[2]

In 1975 Mann returned to his trail riding roots. He competed on the United States International Six Days Trial team (now the International Six Days Enduro) on the Isle of Man, earning a Bronze Medal on an OSSA 350.[2][4]

Al Schmidt legendary audio engineer, dead at 91.

Al Schmitt, Engineer-Mixer Who Won a Record 20 Grammys, Dies at 91​

By Chris Willman
Plus Icon
AP499858880401-e1619540601930.jpg

Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP
Al Schmitt, one of the most revered engineers and producers in the annals of the music business, died Monday at 91, his family confirmed. No cause of death has been given.
Schmitt received more Grammys for engineering — 20, not including his separate Latin Grammys and a National Trustees Award — than anyone else in his field. In 2015, he received an even more rarefied honor for an engineer-mixer, becoming the first to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Among his most recent projects were Willie Nelson’s “That’s Life,” released in February, and Diana Krall’s fall 2020 release “This Dream of You,” which he and Krall put together from sessions they worked on with the late producer Tommy LiPuma.

Highlights in his discography included Steely Dan’s “Aja” and Ray Charles’ “Genius Loves Company,” marking just two of the 10 occasions on which he received the Grammy for best engineered recording or best engineered album (non-classical). In the case of “Genius Loves Company,” a duets album that was Charles’ swan song, Schmitt also shared in its Grammy win for album of the year, as well as sharing record of the year honors for Charles’ single, “Here We Go Again.”

Schmitt won 20 Grammys out of 36 nominations, according to the Recording Academy website. His last two Grammy wins, in 2012-13, came for working with Paul McCartney on his album of standards, “Kisses on the Bottom,” and its “Live Kisses” home-video sequel.
The more than 150 gold or platinum records that bore his name in the credits included recordings by Henry Mancini, Sam Cooke, Frank Sinatra, Natalie Cole, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Miles Davis, Josh Groban, Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson.
Schmitt’s family posted on his Facebook page Tuesday afternoon. “Al Schmitt’s wife Lisa, his five children, eight grandchildren, and five great grandchildren would like his friends and extended recording industry family to know that he passed away Monday afternoon, April 26. The world has lost a much loved and respected extraordinary individual, who led an extraordinary life. The most honored and awarded recording producer/engineer of all time, his parting words at any speaking engagement were, ‘Please be kind to all living things.’ … He was a man who loved deeply, and the friendships, love and admiration he received in return enriched his life and truly mattered to him. A light has dimmed in the world, but we all learned so much from him in his time on earth, and are so very grateful to have known him.”
“Gonna miss you bad Al Schmitt!” tweeted Steve Lukather of Toto, whose multiply Grammy-winning “Toto IV” afforded Schmitt another of his wins for best-engineered recording. “Loved you since 1977 and there will never be another… Today sounds a lot less good.”
Journey’s Steve Perry paid tribute on Facebook, calling him “one oof my biggest heroes in my life.”

“Al Schmitt was the guy,” said Alan Elliott, a producer who had been working with Schmitt on preparing a project. “He helped define the sound of Los Angeles — the cool of Mancini and Cal Tjader, the joy of Sam Cooke, the swag of Elvis in Hollywood, the swing of Sinatra, and when Paul McCartney and Bob Dylan wanted to sound like their heroes, they worked with Al Schmitt. He was a joy to be with, always humble and ready, and we all will miss his genius as well as his decency.”

“So sorry to hear about Al Schmitt,” tweeted Greg Kurstin, one of the most successful contemporary producers. “Such an honor to get a chance to work with him. What a legend.”
Wrote songwriter Diane Warren, “Legend. Mensch. So many people and animals are devastated today. Mix in Power, Al Schmitt.”
Harvey Mason jr., the Recording Academy’s chair & interim president/CEO, called him “a true legend” who left “an indelible mark on the recording industry. We are forever grateful for his contributions as a founding member of the Recording Academy’s Producers & Engineers Wing and to the art and craft of recorded music. We send our love and condolences to his family, friends and collaborators.”
Schmitt was the primary subject of a 2016 documentary, “The Art of Recording a Big Band,” recorded at Capitol Studios, where he did much of his work.

Although most of his career was devoted to engineering and mixing, Schmitt also had a successful run as a producer. After first producing a collaboration between Paul Horn and Lalo Schifrin in 1965, he went on to produce four Jefferson Airplane albums, including “Volunteers,” and efforts for Hot Tuna and Papa John Creach. He was a producer or co-producer on Jackson Browne’s classic “Late for the Sky” and Neil Young’s cult favorite “On the Beach” as well as several albums by Al Jarreau before reverting to what became his most familiar roles.
A sampling of the other hundreds of albums he engineered, mixed or did double-duty on, in reverse chronology: Leslie Odom Jr.’s “Standards” (2020), Dylan’s “Triplicate” (2017) and “Fallen Angels” (2016), Alexandre Desplat’s “Secret Life of Pets” score (2016), Michael Buble’s “Christmas” (2011), Josh Groban’s “Illuminations” (2010), Barbra Streisand’s “The Movie Album” (2003), Krall’s “The Look of Love,” Sinatra’s “Duets” (1993), Natalie Cole’s “Unforgettable: With Love” (1991), George Benson’s “In Flight” (1977), Steely Dan’s “FM” single, Streisand’s “The Way We Were” (1974), Browne’s “For Everyman” (1973), Linda Ronstadt’s “Don’t Cry Now” (1973), Sam Cooke’s “At the Copa” (1964) and a solid run of Henry Mancini score projects in the late ’50s and early ’60s, including “Peter Gunn,” “Breakfast at Tiffany’s,” “Hatari” and “Mr. Lucky.”
At a 2014 Recording Academy event for the producers and engineers wing where Young was being honored, the rocker paid tribute to Schmitt, saying, “He’s the father of what’s going on here, and he’s still here. He has staying power. And he was recording the way that I want to record now.”

Schmidt had turned 91 on April 21 and posted thanks to his friends then on a Facebook account he kept active up until the day before his death. “I want to thank everyone for you warm birthday wishes. I wish I could hug everyone of you. Much love,” he wrote.

Said Patrick Kraus, UMG’s senior VP of recording studios and archive management: “We mourn the loss of our dear friend, Al Schmitt, and celebrate the life and legacy of one of the most accomplished engineers and producers who ever walked into a recording studio. Al worked with iconic artists on some of the biggest albums of all time. The list of his accomplishments – from Grammy Awards and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame to gold- and platinum-certified records – is long and distinguished. It’s hard to imagine Capitol Studios without Al at a console, dialing in a mix, catching up with one of his many friends or lighting the place up with his smile and laugh. He will be deeply missed.”

Top Back Refresh