What's new

Damage an auto by rolling in gear engine off?

Squamch

Canadian
Member Number
Loc
republic of Vancouver island
Starter died on my beater 4runner, way out in the bush. In an attempt to bump start it I put it in first and rolled 2km downhill. Truck had 500,000km when I got it 4 or so years ago.
New starter in, it moves just fine, but makes an awful clattering noise. I dropped the trans, and with the trans out the engine purrs like a walrus.
Torque converter rattles when I shake it, but the internet says thats normal.

What are the odds I broke something rolling it in gear like that?

Did it actually bump start? Thought that didn’t work for autos

No, but I was a solid 60km from reception, solo, so I was willing to try.

The fluid came out without sparkles, I'll drop the pan tomorrow and see if there are any bits or pieces immediately obvious.

I was gonna try to spin the trans with a drill today but the input shaft nose is slightly over 1/2" diameter. May try to do something janky with a rubber bushing inside a hole saw tomorrow to get a grip on it.

Sounds like someone is about to pay the tax for not knowing how the parts of his rig works. How are you gonna make the input spin without the front pump spinning to apply the clutches/bands? They make bump start kits for the GM power-glide to do this on drag cars that don't have a starter. The kits let you apply external pressure (I assume you're supposed to use oil but I bet air works in a pinch).

In an auto-trans "engine off" is no different than neutral. It doesn't matter what position the valves/solenoids are in if there's nothing to supply fluid/pressure.

I've towed shit dozens of miles in neutral at speeds up to 55ish without issue. I'm surprised you broke anything. I would expect it to just not start. I guess Toyota Reliability strikes again.

Did it actually bump start? Thought that didn’t work for autos

It works only after you roll it long enough to friction weld something to something else causing the input to be connected to the output. :laughing:

Last edited:
Sounds like someone is about to pay the tax for not knowing how the parts of his rig works. How are you gonna make the input spin without the front pump spinning to apply the clutches/bands? They make bump start kits for the GM power-glide to do this on drag cars that don't have a starter. The kits let you apply external pressure (I assume you're supposed to use oil but I bet air works in a pinch).

In an auto-trans "engine off" is no different than neutral. It doesn't matter what position the valves/solenoids are in if there's nothing to supply fluid/pressure.

I've towed shit dozens of miles in neutral at speeds up to 55ish without issue. I'm surprised you broke anything. I would expect it to just not start. I guess Toyota Reliability strikes again.

It works only after you roll it long enough to friction weld something to something else causing the input to be connected to the output. :laughing:

Man, you are one supercilious ****.
I get it, you dribbled out of your mom knowing everything about everything. Sadly, I didn't. I admitted up front that I haven't fucked with an auto at all before. I've never needed to. I was way back in the bush, I was reasonably sure it wouldn't work, but figured I'd try.
As for your insatiable need to justify your hate of toyota...it has over half a million km on an auto trans, I'm surprised it still works at all:laughing:.

Hey, where's your build thread anyway? What do you wheel? Everyone knows you got diddled in a toyota, so what do you actually like as far as a wheeler?

Last edited:
Well fuck. I tore the whole thing apart, saw nothing obviously broken, had the torque converter rebuilt, swapped in a known good pump...

And it still makes a terrible clattering noise.

Motherfucker.

I think I have a 5 speed in the back of the shop somewhere, so I guess I need a clutch pedal and a bit of plumbing.

Well fuck. I tore the whole thing apart, saw nothing obviously broken, had the torque converter rebuilt, swapped in a known good pump...

And it still makes a terrible clattering noise.

Motherfucker.

I think I have a 5 speed in the back of the shop somewhere, so I guess I need a clutch pedal and a bit of plumbing.
well huh, you'd think it would have been obvious if it was making a clattering noise. like a loose whatever or a cracked doo-hickey.

was there glitter or chunks in the pan?

I fuxored a sprag on my NAG 1 by doing that. Had to roll with the engine off and did not think about shifting the transfer case in neutral.

What are the odds that it's the crank?

I have seen them break in just the right way that it'll still start and run.

How did the flex plate look? No cracks around the bolt holes?

well huh, you'd think it would have been obvious if it was making a clattering noise. like a loose whatever or a cracked doo-hickey.

was there glitter or chunks in the pan?

None at all.

What are the odds that it's the crank?

I have seen them break in just the right way that it'll still start and run.

I bolted the starter in place and flashed it up without the trans installed and it ran smoothly and quietly, including revving.

How did the flex plate look? No cracks around the bolt holes?

No cracks or wallowing out of the holes.

Does it have a torque converter shield or cover? Maybe it's rubbing?

so I guess I need a clutch pedal and a bit of plumbing.
Didn’t catch what year your 4Runner is, but if it’s a 2nd gen and you actually decide to go with a manual trans, we’ve got an extra brake / clutch pedal assembly you can have. You’d just have to cover shipping.....

Didn’t catch what year your 4Runner is, but if it’s a 2nd gen and you actually decide to go with a manual trans, we’ve got an extra brake / clutch pedal assembly you can have. You’d just have to cover shipping.....

It's a 92, where abouts are you located? I'm in Canada so shipping might be nasty.

San Jose, CA. But shipping wouldn’t matter if it’s a 92. Everything we’ve got is for 2nd gen trucks / 1st gen runners. Sorry man....

early 727 and PG and some others come to mind.

This thing has the goofy partly integral t case, what's the chances the noise is coming from the rear of the unit?

I was going to reply, if you think rolling it in gear will damage it youre a doofus, but it seems I am the doofus. Would have never gueased it might hurt something. :homer: cool thread.

I was going to reply, if you think rolling it in gear will damage it youre a doofus, but it seems I am the doofus. Would have never gueased it might hurt something. :homer: cool thread.
At low speeds I would be surprised it would hurt something. OP was it in low range?

Had to flat tow my auto accord from pa to vt, idled it in N the whole way as H recommended only 50 miles and 35 mph.

Man, you are one supercilious ****.
I get it, you dribbled out of your mom knowing everything about everything. Sadly, I didn't. I admitted up front that I haven't fucked with an auto at all before. I've never needed to. I was way back in the bush, I was reasonably sure it wouldn't work, but figured I'd try.
As for your insatiable need to justify your hate of toyota...it has over half a million km on an auto trans, I'm surprised it still works at all:laughing:.

Hey, where's your build thread anyway? What do you wheel? Everyone knows you got diddled in a toyota, so what do you actually like as far as a wheeler?

Whatever you do....Do not point out that he isn't right about something.

Especially the really obvious stuff.:lmao:

Top Back Refresh