What's new

Daily Doubler Build - 96 Ranger

I've read your rangerstation build thread probably too many times. It really has inspired my RBV addiction. Thanks for sharing it.

I followed you on Pirate. But it was great to read the summary and see that it's still a project.

I also have followed your build thread. Your rig was one that inspired me to build mine. It was cool hearing your story on the total offroad podcast.

This thing is awesome. I've been following this build for YEARS.

Thanks for chiming in guys. Glad to have you along for the ride.

We headed back over to the Badlands for a day trip last Sunday. A couple guys were arriving a bit later in the morning, so a few of us decided to do a quick loop before the rest of the group arrived.

Storms rolled through earlier in the week which left a sheet of ice covered by a couple inches of snow. Some portions of trail were crazy slick. I was following DMANbluesfreak, who had just slid down a big hill. Assuming my truck would follow in his tracks, I pointed the nose downhill and initiated the slide.

My front end jumped out of the rut and I slid right into a massive tree about 3/4 of the way down the hill. All of the energy went through my driver side front corner. Broke the bumper (one broken weld, one broken tube), pushed the fender back, and the tree caught the tire shearing my high steer arm right off of the knuckle.

Luckily I never cut the steering arms off of my knuckles. DMAN hooked me up with a long shank TRE that we ran to the knuckle, did a tape measure alignment in the parking lot, and I drove it home.

20220220_104609_Original.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

2022-02-23 15_16_02-Window.png

2022-02-23 15_16_12-Window.png

IMG_0974.JPG

2022-02-23 15_15_36-Window.png

The drive home was uneventful, thankfully. I've already been junkyard hunting and started stripping it down last night. Luckily the inner fender is still intact.

2022-02-23 15_16_26-Window.png

My core support has been in bad shape for a while and I planned to replace that soon anyways. I already have a fresh one in the shop. I'll pick up a pair of fenders (without holes for flares), a header panel, and turn signals then I should be ready to rock again. Half of the bumper will need rebuilt too, of course.

Any advice for color matching / painting panels? Looks like the local yard has a clean tan Ranger that I can steal all of these parts from.

I decided to nix the idea of painting off-color panels and spent my time hunting down color matched parts. It took a couple lengthy trips, but I was able to snag a header panel from a junkyard and a pair of fenders from a guy in a Ranger group. Total win.

With parts on hand, I dove in to the sheet metal work. I suspended everything bolted to the core support and cut the old one out. Spot weld cutter FTW.

IMG_1687.JPG

Weld-through primed everything, clamped it up, and burned it in.

IMG_1711.JPG

Bolted the core support to the frame with fresh bushings and sprayed everything with semi-gloss black. Then I re-built the bumper exactly the same as it was before. :flipoff2:

IMG_1734.JPG

IMG_1735.JPG

Chopped the fenders and got them bolted up. Don't mind the black paint drip from the previous owner - it came off easy.

IMG_1731.JPG

Then moved on to the steering stuff. Extracted the studs from the knuckle, cleaned up the mating surfaces, and threw it together with fresh studs.

IMG_1713.JPG

Found out my passenger side TRE was bent as fawk from the hit, so I reamed a parts store joint and swapped that on. The tie rod is fresh with two new joints now.

IMG_1716.JPG

Tape measure alignment.

IMG_1755.JPG

Threw the lights on it, bolted up the grill / trim pieces, and it's back on the road.

IMG_1779.JPG

The panel gaps aren't perfect and the hood hinges took a beating (the tree pushed the hood over a solid inch - I pushed it back by hand), but she'll ride. It's strange seeing it with amber turn signals again. My style of clear corners was discontinued years ago and I'm not sure I want to go with the 'crystal clear' lenses on the market right now. I'll be rocking it old school with the yella's for a while.

I have two more days to thrash. Heading south on Wednesday to leave some rubber on the rocks of Mason, TX over Memorial Day weekend.

Last edited:
good luck on your trip coming up.

Given you sheared the steering arm off, maybe tying into the original knuckle hole below could prevent future failure. (tree or not)

Given you sheared the steering arm off, maybe tying into the original knuckle hole below could prevent future failure. (tree or not)

That's a good thought, but unfortunately I have zero ackerman high steer arms so they don't line up with the OEM arms. This arrangement has been sufficient for the life of the build so far, I'll just have to keep from ramming trees :laughing:

Turns out I needed 2+ days of thrashing to get the truck ready. I had a squeak from the rear end that I was struggling to diagnose. Swapped driveshafts. No change. Lifted the rear and isolated each wheel to try to narrow it down to a specific caliper. No change. That points to the diff. Really strange as it sounded very much like a chirping U joint.

Blew the rearend apart the night before I planned to leave. The crush sleeve must have been a little too crushed at some point as there was evidence of fretting between the sleeve, outer pinion nut, oil baffle, and yoke. Minimal clearance allowed all of those parts to slide against one another and squeal.

IMG_1791.JPG

I also found my passenger side shaft properly fawked. Mounting flange was bent and the splines were twisted.

IMG_1789.JPG

I was hoping to be on the road around 7a, but instead I ran around to multiple parts stores to track down what I needed. It got a new outer pinion bearing with race, yoke (old one had a bad seal groove), pinion seal, and wheel bearings with seals for both sides. Threw it all together with a fresh crush sleeve and my spare passenger side shaft (also a Dutchman). Greased the brakes and installed fresh guide pins/boots while I was at it. The rear is pretty fresh at this point.

Now pretty late in the day, I loaded up my camping gear and waited for a storm to pass before hitting the road. I left in the dark at 11p.

The road trip was flawless and I arrived at Escondido Draw at 11p the following night. We wheeled Escondido on Friday.

20220527_071843.jpg

20220527_103954.jpg

20220527_104920.jpg

20220527_113322.jpg

Last edited:
Escondido is a huge park with exceptional facilities. That said, we were eager to get over to Wolf Caves so we hit the road Friday afternoon and road tripped over there. We spent Friday night through Monday morning at WC.

20220527_190036.jpg

20220528_065302.jpg

Saturday was spent feeling out the park and getting the lay of the land. Their rating system is white, blue, green, yellow, red, purple. We spent most of the day cruising white (ranch road) and greens. I had to put my tires on a red just for kicks. Made it halfway through before I came to a boulder that my bumper wouldn't clear. The difficulty ramps up in a hurry at this place.

20220528_114357.jpg

20220528_134500.jpg

20220528_134408.jpg

My panhard was clunking a bit and I noticed it was starting to spit the bushing out of it. Saturday evening we ran into Mason to try to find a replacement, but the only Napa in town was already closed. We got some kickass barbecue and called it a night.

Early the next morning we ran all the way to Fredericksburg for some more options. Autozone didn't stock it (I know the Energy Suspension part number). Oreilly was little help. Our last ditch effort was to go to Ace to see if we could cobble something together. They were closed on Sunday. Sitting there pondering our next move, I remembered I built my traction bar with those same bushings. Decided to cannibalize the traction bar for the bushing, swapped it into my panhard, and wheeled the rest of the weekend without a traction bar. Total win. Working on pavement in the shade was also nice. My buddy even had on board air with an impact. :smokin:

20220529_103752.jpg

We still ran a lot of greens that afternoon, but we hit a couple yellows as well. Even the yellows are no joke here.

20220529_172156.jpg

20220529_160457.jpg

20220529_172136.jpg

20220529_172305.jpg

We camped one more night, then ran down into Boerne on Monday. Checked out my buddy's new digs, hit a brewery, and grilled out / sat around for the rest of the night. It was awesome. Hit the road early Tuesday morning with plans to camp in OK that night, but a pop-up severe storm pushed me to pull another all nighter and I drove straight home. I pulled in the shop just before 7a on Wednesday morning.

The rush to get everything together before taking off and the long drive home made it pretty demanding, but the truck performed well and it was awesome to get out again after the tree incident earlier this year. This trip put almost 3000 miles on the rebuild and everything feels great.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh