What's new

Cybertruck: no thread here.

I already talked about Fleet sales earlier. I"m talking private sales.

If you don't buy enough to get a special order, the company that revolutionized car-buying by making the Mustang option list a check-sheet will not sell you an F-150 that they don't manufacture in lots.

It's lazy manufacturing, that's my primary bitch about the Big 3 all through this thread.

Lazy options, lazy truck design, and lazy confidence about their ever loyal customers who sit in this thread defending an 80 year old bed design when the entire rest of the automotive world has moved on.

Everyone here knows I'm right. That's why they have ramps and winches on their trailers, and the Contractors have tilt, drop-side trailers as well. You can't even market trailers if you don't have those features.

Yet $80,000 supposedly tough Pickups have delicate and easily damaged cargo containers that will knock $25,000 off the value of the truck with one bump by a loader. It's a scam and and it's ridiculous.

What is so different about the Cyber Truck then? It has from what I can tell less side access to the bed, it's definitely as delicate as the current offerings because to be honest if any part of a moving or immovable object touches a truck from 1908 to now there is damage, nothing has changed on that front.
Bumpers etc. can take some contact and not show, but bodies? not likely.

All I can tell Elon did was make it so polarizing and low drag it will create sales for non pickup owners, that doesn't seem like a business model that is even attempting to actually take on the big 3.

My brother has a model 3 and a leaf, we have these discussions all the time, no one wins but they are fun to argue.

it's definitely as delicate as the current offerings because to be honest if any part of a moving or immovable object touches a truck from 1908 to now there is damage, nothing has changed on that front.
Bumpers etc. can take some contact and not show, but bodies? not likely.

Nope. It's thick SS which is bulletproof to handgun bullets. That's a lot more robust than tin-foil Big 3 pickups.

The guy smashes that F-250 door like the foil it is, and not scratch on the cybertruck with a 10lb sledge. Also bulletproof to 9mm.

Start at 2:40

This should have been done 20 or more years ago on POS domestic 'trucks'. Especially the 'heavy duty' light duty pickups like the F350 piece of delicate shit.

Nope. It's thick SS which is bulletproof to handgun bullets. That's a lot more robust than tin-foil Big 3 pickups.

The guy smashes that F-250 door like the foil it is, and not scratch on the cybertruck with a 10lb sledge. Also bulletproof to 9mm.

Start at 2:40

This should have been done 20 or more years ago on POS domestic 'trucks'. Especially the 'heavy duty' light duty pickups like the F350 piece of delicate shit.

the problem with that is the effects it has on occupancy and federal safety mandates. That is a big part of why they tesla had to make sure the weight was UP on it's truck, to avoid those things.

sure, dented doors suck to deal with, but impact absorbing bodies are significant in reducing occupant fatalities. I don't agree with the federal mandates, but there is very much a reason why consumers buy crumple cars.

the problem with that is the effects it has on occupancy and federal safety mandates. That is a big part of why they tesla had to make sure the weight was UP on it's truck, to avoid those things.

sure, dented doors suck to deal with, but impact absorbing bodies are significant in reducing occupant fatalities. I don't agree with the federal mandates, but there is very much a reason why consumers buy crumple cars.

I don't see any definitive reason why it has to be unsafe. That exoskeleton is much more robust than a typical body, but that doesn't mean anything in a dangerous crash. Just because it won't be ruined by scraping a broken branch, doesn't mean it can't be engineered to crumple correctly in a crash.

In fact, in unibody regular cars, the inner fenders are the structural member and the crash protection. It's the outer fenders that are paper thin.

Clearly Tesla just made the outer skin the structural member.

I don't see the issue. Lot of yapping about it from people who don't know how cars work.

I don't see any definitive reason why it has to be unsafe. T

Because it has a POS 3pt seatbelt so you gotta have shit crumple and set of airbags and shit so that people don't get too jostled around.

If the driver were wearing a 4+ point harness and could be guaranteed to have a properly fitting seat then sure, make it rigid. But since they can't do that they need to use stupid tricks to buy time for deceleration.

Because it has a POS 3pt seatbelt so you gotta have shit crumple and set of airbags and shit so that people don't get too jostled around.

If the driver were wearing a 4+ point harness and could be guaranteed to have a properly fitting seat then sure, make it rigid. But since they can't do that they need to use stupid tricks to buy time for deceleration.

Another person that doesn't seem to understand.

This is an exoskeleton unibody truck. A body-on-frame trucks has a huge amount of strenght in the frame, so the body panels are paper-thin so the thing can crumple.

Cybertruck has no frame, so it can put the strength in the body, and still have the same overall crumple properties, exactly like a unibody car except the outer skin has the strength instead of the inner body.

This is an exoskeleton unibody truck. A body-on-frame trucks has a huge amount of strenght in the frame, so the body panels are paper-thin so the thing can crumple.

Cybertruck has no frame, so it can put the strength in the body, and still have the same overall crumple properties, exactly like a unibody car except the outer skin has the strength instead of the inner body.

energy dissipation, the high strength exoskeleton doesn't do it for the sub 50mph crash, even if it is designed to do it for high speed stuff.

energy dissipation, the high strength exoskeleton doesn't do it for the sub 50mph crash, even if it is designed to do it for high speed stuff.

You have absolutely no idea if this is the case. It doesn't seem likely Tesla designed a truck that would fail a critical safety measure.

Literally no one outside Tesla has any idea what the crash rating is, pure speculation.

You have absolutely no idea if this is the case. It doesn't seem likely Tesla designed a truck that would fail a critical safety measure.

Literally no one outside Tesla has any idea what the crash rating is, pure speculation.

yes, i have a damned good idea.

that is why the tesla is so heavy, to keep it in the hummer/f250 class of trucks, deliberately to avoid the crash test stuff.

you can't have it both ways and say "the body is the strength" and then say "the body will absorb impact forces"

yes, i have a damned good idea.

that is why the tesla is so heavy, to keep it in the hummer/f250 class of trucks, deliberately to avoid the crash test stuff

This is exactly the reason why it was built heavy. He doesn't understand engineering or most things automotive, its very obvious in all his posts on those subjects. May as well go bang your head against a wall because he's never going to get the "It can't be strong and weak at the same time" thing. The Wooooosh is strong with this one....

This is exactly the reason why it was built heavy. He doesn't understand engineering or most things automotive, its very obvious in all his posts on those subjects. May as well go bang your head against a wall because he's never going to get the "It can't be strong and weak at the same time" thing. The Wooooosh is strong with this one....

head on wall, masks with eviltwat, 'rona stats with deke, seattle protests with commies, these are my hobbies :flipoff2:

You guys all know their cars are like the safest on the planet right? I doubt that’s going to change with their truck.

You guys all know their cars are like the safest on the planet right? I doubt that’s going to change with their truck.

i'd be curious to see how the truck does with crash test dummies. On the plus side, we can all live in ignorance until the real world makes some examples as it won't get independently tested :flipoff2:

Did you read what I wrote?

Whether it's unibody or has a frame doesn't matter. You can make either rigid but you can't build it super rigid expect it to crash test well because consumer seats and belts don't secure the occupants well enough to handle and abrupt stop like that. At the very least you need crumple time for airbags to deploy.

i'd be curious to see how the truck does with crash test dummies. On the plus side, we can all live in ignorance until the real world makes some examples as it won't get independently tested :flipoff2:

I hope it does middle of the road so that the fanboys have nothing to brag about but nothing to cover up. Tesla fanboys are the only thing that rival Toyota fanboys in the loudness of their ignorance.

I hope it does middle of the road so that the fanboys have nothing to brag about but nothing to cover up. Tesla fanboys are the only thing that rival Toyota fanboys in the loudness of their ignorance.

there is some stuff that is awesome about them. VW body pan MFG style would be dope. i mostly just hate the edgy design and remote update stuff. otherwise, they'd be a fun spare car

you can't have it both ways and say "the body is the strength" and then say "the body will absorb impact forces"

Yes you can, dipshit. Most cars are made that way, it's just that the strength panel is inside, as I've told you multiple times.

Did you read what I wrote?

Whether it's unibody or has a frame doesn't matter. You can make either rigid but you can't build it super rigid expect it to crash test well because consumer seats and belts don't secure the occupants well enough to handle and abrupt stop like that. At the very least you need crumple time for airbags to deploy.

You seem to be purposefully obtuse about this. The strength of the frame is eliminated and applied to the body panel. This still provides the same crumple zone.

Distributing the impact over a large body panel is better than concentrating it in a frame anyway. The more materials you can deform in an impact, the better off you are.

Yes you can, dipshit. Most cars are made that way, it's just that the strength panel is inside, as I've told you multiple times.

no, you are very backwards on that. Yes, you are correct that the skins on most cars are thin and just for style and holding paint, but the rest of the body is designed to crush, for at least the last 30 years.

Head, meet wall.

Hello wall

image.jpeg
The after math of a cybertruck crash
should give this effect,
ribbed for noobs pleasure.

It's refreshing to know that you can speculate recklessly but I can't.

The best thing about the CyberTruck is the rest of us will know instantly if the driver is a homo or not. Might as well just make them all rainbow colored.
fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.jpg

I'll argue strongly that pickups realized they were luxury vehicles when they introduced the true 4 door half ton and lighter vehicles in the mid 90's or so. I'm not in the least concerned that tesla will cut in to their sales, have at it.

of course, i'm old and grumpy :flipoff2: there is a chance it will bring back quality cheap trucks that don't have all that gizmo shit. slim though that chance may be.

you don't like a $97,000 half ton?

I’m not sure I’ll buy a new truck ever again. I would consider it if you could order a la carte

Top Back Refresh