What's new

Cybertruck: no thread here.

The only other thing I can think of is some better access to the bed like this.

97316.jpg

It's amazing that after 80 years the Big 3 haven't come up with a better way to access the bed.

i'd much rather have one of those forward control pickups. The modern Ford Transit would be an ideal platform for bringing these back, hell that might be the only worthwhile use of a transit.

That's Vaporware. It also has fragile body panels like conventional trucks. The Fuel Cell is very interesting though and I think that's the ultimate destination for automobiles.

You think stainless steel body panels is a good idea to be "tough"? Have you ever worked with stainless steel, it is a shitty material if you ask me.

IT is mind blowing to me that people would be ok with buying a truck and having to have it wrapped so it doesn't look exactly like your dumb ass neighbor. And for some reason we are saying (cause elon said so) that unibody construction is stronger than body on frame, what data do you have to back that up?

I was interested in the Bollinger for a minute, until all the "utilitarian" blather turned out to be BS. Glass roof, and $125K price tag, they're trolling Hummer's old fishing ground.

That's the truck I was trying to think of, not the Rivian. :homer: I think that truck is traditional looking and damn useful. Did all the options turn out to be marketing hype? I haven't kept up on it, but yeah, 125k is too steep for me.

I think it's funny that the trailer is open on two sides and you can dump cinderblocks in it with a loader no problem.

Meanwhile the 'heavy duty' truck that's hauling it is as delicate as a Rolls Royce, and you'll do $10,000 of damage to the $90,000 truck if you so much as put a big log in it.

Is it even possible to reach maximum payload of a 1-ton pickup truck without ruining the bed? Don't scratch it up with branches, now!

Cybertruck will be make out of stainless steel, and you can actually abuse it a little bit. A fat guy could ruin a pickup bed just by leaning on it. It's pathetic.

CJalKuy.jpg

If you need a flatbed. Buy a flatbed.
My f250 has taken dozens of trips to the stone yard and loaded straight into the bed from a wheel loader. Truck hasn't been totalled out yet. :rolleyes:

Since you dont own a truck, you wouldn't really understand.

I'd drive that Nikola waaay before that ugly tesla. If either of them actually come out. Not that I'd actually buy a new truck though.

But still, can we please go back to round headlights? :laughing:

Last edited:
I'd drive that Nikola waaay before that ugly tesla. If either of them actually come out. Not that I'd actually buy a new truck though.

But still, can we please go back to round headlights? :laughing:

Best they can do is LEDs in a round pattern...

I like the idea of the electric truck, certainly the capacity is attractive if accurate. But the Picasso design is offputting. I'd rather have something with straight sides and maximized rectilinear cabin and bed storage space.

Last edited:
after an hour of very light reading, fuel cell's are not near being long term viable. they may well get replaced by micro-cold-fusion reactors before being supreme :flipoff2:

Why? Honda had a production Hydrogen fuel cell car for a while.

Why? Honda had a production Hydrogen fuel cell car for a while.

essentially, they can't reach the longevity of use expectations. even if the cost comes down substantially, they don't hold up.

Personally, I won't buy a CVT car that isn't a 100hp 4cyl. why? because they are expected to need a transmission within 100k miles. despite being cheap, those get labeled as 'throw away' cars. Fuel cells that made it in to production were lucky to hit 40k mile equivalent's and have a very high replacement cost. People bitch about replacing batteries in hybrid cars, those fuckers last 300k+ miles and 15+ years. can you imagine 40k and needed a significant repair, if you are lucky?

Hydrogen fuel cells have a great market niche in servicing remote emergency backup system because they are stable in rest for an extremely long period and will function very well on a shorter scale of use. they are still very energy intensive and expensive however.

If you need a flatbed. Buy a flatbed.
My f250 has taken dozens of trips to the stone yard and loaded straight into the bed from a wheel loader. Truck hasn't been totalled out yet. :rolleyes:

Since you dont own a truck, you wouldn't really understand.

For $69,000, I want a bed that is glossy go-to-the-theater shiny bed, AND a flatbed, AND a camper convertible.

This is basic shit. Why hasn't it been done?

Because useless rednecks demand so little from the Big 3.

That shit ought to convert, with a few simple pulls. No electric motors or anything. I can pull some handles like a common piece of carry-on luggage, and I get either a flatbed or a trad bed.

This should have been 20 years ago.

My second-hand store carry-on tote luggage is more durable and more inventive than a shitty pickup bed. The more I think about it, the more ridiculous a pickup bed seems.

You have to walk eighteen feet from the driver's side door to the tailgate, then another 8 feet up the bed to get that lost 2-liter that rolled out of the grocery bag. Stupid.

American pickup trucks suck.

i'd much rather have one of those forward control pickups. The modern Ford Transit would be an ideal platform for bringing these back, hell that might be the only worthwhile use of a transit.

x2 on a forward control pickup but the E-series chassis is a better "truck" all around than the Transit.

x2 on a forward control pickup but the E-series chassis is a better "truck" all around than the Transit.

my personal opinion, all these year later, is that the transit is still an overwhelming dumpster fire. i'm sad that chevy makes the only decent full size van anymore.

the transaxle platform of the transit would allow for a much lower body side and gentler slope of the ramp than an e-series. it's the only positive i can conceive

my personal opinion, all these year later, is that the transit is still an overwhelming dumpster fire. i'm sad that chevy makes the only decent full size van anymore.

the transaxle platform of the transit would allow for a much lower body side and gentler slope of the ramp than an e-series. it's the only positive i can conceive

i was under the impression the T150/250/350 were RWD. Ive never crawled underneath, but i know the C&C version are, cant imagine why the other would be any different.

unless youre still talking about the transit connect.

the ram promaster is a heaping pile of shit FWD van.

i was under the impression the T150/250/350 were RWD. Ive never crawled underneath, but i know the C&C version are, cant imagine why the other would be any different.

fuck both of them :flipoff2:

The entire front of the van should be a module. Focus on making that 5-star rated, like the early 5.4 Ford vans with a bit of a nose for crush zone.

Everything after that is a module. It can be a pickup bed with a real flat floor unlike the Corvair pickup. You can also put doors on 3 sides because of frame rails or monocoque chassis.

I'd like to see doors on both sides. You can drive a garden tractor up into one door. Stop and open the other side and drive it off the ramp, no turning around or reverse. This is easily attainable.

It's not going to happen though because p-up trucks are personal luxury vehicles like a 1977 Thunderbird or 1973 Regal. People dont' fantasize about utility, they fantasize about sissy bedsides and fenders, like all F350s, Chev 3500s, and Ram 3500s. Plastic boy-toys. Fag trucks.

Last edited:
For $69,000, I want a bed that is glossy go-to-the-theater shiny bed, AND a flatbed, AND a camper convertible.

That shit ought to convert, with a few simple pulls. No electric motors or anything. I can pull some handles like a common piece of carry-on luggage, and I get either a flatbed or a trad bed.

My second-hand store carry-on tote luggage is more durable and more inventive than a shitty pickup bed. The more I think about it, the more ridiculous a pickup bed seems.

You have to walk eighteen feet from the driver's side door to the tailgate, then another 8 feet up the bed to get that lost 2-liter that rolled out of the grocery bag. Stupid.

Huh? Can't you climb a tire or reach over the side of a bed?

Quit exaggerating.

essentially, they can't reach the longevity of use expectations. even if the cost comes down substantially, they don't hold up.

Personally, I won't buy a CVT car that isn't a 100hp 4cyl. why? because they are expected to need a transmission within 100k miles. despite being cheap, those get labeled as 'throw away' cars. Fuel cells that made it in to production were lucky to hit 40k mile equivalent's and have a very high replacement cost. People bitch about replacing batteries in hybrid cars, those fuckers last 300k+ miles and 15+ years. can you imagine 40k and needed a significant repair, if you are lucky?

Hydrogen fuel cells have a great market niche in servicing remote emergency backup system because they are stable in rest for an extremely long period and will function very well on a shorter scale of use. they are still very energy intensive and expensive however.

Interesting, I knew that it was a CA only deal, but I never looked into how long they lasted. One of the VP's of a company that I worked at in the bay had a hydrogen converted civic and loved it, well over 200k on it.

I put the grocery bags in the back seat. I use the pickup bed to haul shit

I think you can so buy a stripped F150, you just gotta buy a bunch of them. No pics left phone at home

Just got home from the grocery store, I ended up parking beside a pretty new but slightly beat F150 regular cab.No XL, XLT no nothing just F150. I was a bit curious so I gave it a good look. Reg cab 8' bed 4x4 all paint no chrome very little plastic and steel wheels. Hmmm I look inside, WTF, vinyl seat, rubber floor thin ass vinyl head liner, no power locks, windows, column auto. Dash was same mostly with a lot of plugs (knock outs) where things should be, it did have air and 4wd switch. I mean this thing was about as basic as I figure a truck could get in this day and age.

When I came out the guy was loading up. I asked him about it and all he knew was that the owner of the company ordered a bunch of them that way for pipe line work, they need shit to work 100% of the time and if it doesn't it needs to be able to be repaired in the field with wire and gum. Oh yea it was a 2019.

He said he didn't mind it but he sure wished it had cruise.

Myself I liked what I saw and if I was looking for a strictly work hard truck I would grab one if I could

I would really like to know what that company's out the door price on that was, I would guess not as cheap as I figure it might be.

Not only is he a mental midget, but an actual midget.

He can't be any shorter than my gf. She is not even 5 ft and was up and over the bed grabbing the tarp that was weighed down by a rock behind the back window to cover the mower. She didn't whine about how difficult it was. :rolleyes:

Pretty far off my ideal truck considering I want a Toyota 70 series. If I could get a brand new one here it would probably the last truck I'd ever buy.

For the time being I'm looking for an HJ60 to pull apart and restore.

Interesting, I knew that it was a CA only deal, but I never looked into how long they lasted. One of the VP's of a company that I worked at in the bay had a hydrogen converted civic and loved it, well over 200k on it.

yeah converting an ICE over to burn hydrogen will get the longevity, but kind of like swapping to propane, you lose out on the easy to find (on an infrastructure level) quick fuel points and drop a bit of BTU.

splitting the hydrogen out from nat gas, as is likely how he derived it in CA Bay Area, is actually a bit backward ecologically vs just converting the car to run on natural gas :rasta:

with obscene amounts of subsidies, fuel cells are dope and great. CA killing off their program with the loss of the governator and such really hurt the momentum for hydrogen.

granted, it did kind of pan out to be pie in the sky for regular use, but so have other things for a while before being useful

I think you can so buy a stripped F150, you just gotta buy a bunch of them. No pics left phone at home

Just got home from the grocery store, I ended up parking beside a pretty new but slightly beat F150 regular cab.No XL, XLT no nothing just F150. I was a bit curious so I gave it a good look. Reg cab 8' bed 4x4 all paint no chrome very little plastic and steel wheels. Hmmm I look inside, WTF, vinyl seat, rubber floor thin ass vinyl head liner, no power locks, windows, column auto. Dash was same mostly with a lot of plugs (knock outs) where things should be, it did have air and 4wd switch. I mean this thing was about as basic as I figure a truck could get in this day and age.

When I came out the guy was loading up. I asked him about it and all he knew was that the owner of the company ordered a bunch of them that way for pipe line work, they need shit to work 100% of the time and if it doesn't it needs to be able to be repaired in the field with wire and gum. Oh yea it was a 2019.

Myself I liked what I saw and if I was looking for a strictly work hard truck I would grab one if I could

I would really like to know what that company's out the door price on that was, I would guess not as cheap as I figure it might be.

That was an xl truck. Surprised it has electronic shift4x4. I’m pretty sure you still get manual shift on the f150, maybe just the super duties?

Chevy still offers it in their base half tons.

Cruise control is just a few buttons installed, don’t know why that isn’t standard yet? The manufacture doesn’t have to put cruise computers, and vacuum actuators under the hood anymore. Just a few ecm inputs. The cost just seems really low to me for something like that.

I already talked about Fleet sales earlier. I"m talking private sales.

If you don't buy enough to get a special order, the company that revolutionized car-buying by making the Mustang option list a check-sheet will not sell you an F-150 that they don't manufacture in lots.

It's lazy manufacturing, that's my primary bitch about the Big 3 all through this thread.

Lazy options, lazy truck design, and lazy confidence about their ever loyal customers who sit in this thread defending an 80 year old bed design when the entire rest of the automotive world has moved on.

Everyone here knows I'm right. That's why they have ramps and winches on their trailers, and the Contractors have tilt, drop-side trailers as well. You can't even market trailers if you don't have those features.

Yet $80,000 supposedly tough Pickups have delicate and easily damaged cargo containers that will knock $25,000 off the value of the truck with one bump by a loader. It's a scam and and it's ridiculous.

splitting the hydrogen out from nat gas, as is likely how he derived it in CA Bay Area, is actually a bit backward ecologically vs just converting the car to run on natural gas :rasta:

with obscene amounts of subsidies, fuel cells are dope and great. CA killing off their program with the loss of the governator and such really hurt the momentum for hydrogen.

granted, it did kind of pan out to be pie in the sky for regular use, but so have other things for a while before being useful

I'd agree it's going to be a long time, but the overall energy cycle CAN easily be more ecological than natural gas. The pie in the sky is nuclear power both de-salinating water so that I don't have to organize a bombing campaign when California tries to tap great lakes water, and also be able to split H2O.

You keep jerkin yourself off about a shitty stock ford skid plate as if it's worth a shit. :rolleyes:

When shopping for a truck, I was looking for the manual t/c shifter.

Not going to lie, the dial is sort of nice. :flipoff2:

A buddy had a 2010-11 maybe version of that. It was a V6 2wd with a manual transmission. Vinyl seats, manual windows and door locks. I’m not sure it even had a CD player. He bought it used with low miles for sub-20K.

I'd agree it's going to be a long time, but the overall energy cycle CAN easily be more ecological than natural gas. The pie in the sky is nuclear power both de-salinating water so that I don't have to organize a bombing campaign when California tries to tap great lakes water, and also be able to split H2O.

nuclear WAS alive and well in CA and very effective. it isn't pie in the sky, the only pie in the sky in the one size fits all approach

Top Back Refresh