What's new

Craigslist et al. And deposits

[memphis]

Web wheeler
Member Number
Am I off my fucking rocker??? I list X item for $2000.

-Take $1400?
Sure, send a deposit and I’ll pull the ad.
-Well I want to hear it run first

Am I mistaken or has said shithead just committed to buy... when I accepted $1400 low ball just so I don’t have to deal with more fucking idiots?

I haven’t sold it from under him yet but I’m about to because of his lack of commitment.

Maybe I don’t know shit but I always always always negotiate on the spot, never through messenger or email etc.

I feel like I’ve posted this before but this shit boils my blood

I lowball at the it's a piece of shit price (usually 50-70% of asking). I include a picture of the pile o cash and my truck hooked to the trailer. If they say they will take it I drive and pick it up with no further negotiations

Meh.

Internet selling has gone to shit, more so in the past couple of years. I have a couple nice ones from the past year:

Selling a rust-free 98 Ram 1500 4x4 Club Cab from Modesto in southern Minnesota. Damn near perfect shape, 360, rebuilt trans with upgrades, etc. Chick messages offering a straight-up trade for a 2001 Chevy ext. cab 5.3 rust bucket with 300,000 miles.

Last week, selling a 2004 Sprinter Van, 140 wb, high roof (most desirable size for the van life folks) that I plucked from northern Mississippi. Runs perfectly, no rust, fully serviced and ready to go. Old dude just offered a straight up trade for a 2000 F150 rust bucket.

This is above and beyond all the half-price (or less) lowballs tossed out immediately upon posting ads, etc. I just sift through the shit, and I can tell when someone is actually serious.

I lowball at the it's a piece of shit price (usually 50-70% of asking). I include a picture of the pile o cash and my truck hooked to the trailer. If they say they will take it I drive and pick it up with no further negotiations

This

and if I am negotiating a price where they deliver it, I send them my address, then hold the cash up in front of my house address

If a guy sends you a low offer, that you think you'll accept, you need to follow it up with terms, "$1400 in cash by 3pm today? Or 1400 when your aunt dies? "

:laughing:

[memphis said:
;n174946]

First time selling something more expensive than $500 in a loooooong time

Sorry man, thats just how it is these days. If someone wants to buy, they come over with cash. If someone is bored and window shopping, they just dick with you over text messages the way that guy is doing, I think it's just a form of recreation for them, don't waste your time with him.

[memphis said:
;n174946]

First time selling something more expensive than $500 in a loooooong time

Dont take a deposit or hold anything unless someone is on their way. If someone makes a offer THEN puts conditions on the sale in their favor, they can promptly fuck themselves.

I also do a fair amount of "if it is what you say it is, I'll pay you xxxx and be there in xx hours with a truck and trailer and cash, no bs, no wife to tell me I can't"

usually it's what I expected it to be pay the man and leave. If there's a discrepancy, I point it out, renegotiate, and I've already cut ahead of everybody else, win win for me

I can make this very simple. You sell to the first person who shows up with cash.

It takes an hour to get across my city, and I often sell stuff to people from the more affluent city 2 hours away, with a phone call, I'll hold something if they're on the road, and I expect the same from others.

I also get the address before I roll out, cuz I'm gonna shit in your sunroof if you skunk me:laughing:

FWIW, it's easy to weed out the dumbshits and make decent deals with decent people if you handle it right

It takes an hour to get across my city, and I often sell stuff to people from the more affluent city 2 hours away, with a phone call, I'll hold something if they're on the road, and I expect the same from others.

I also get the address before I roll out, cuz I'm gonna shit in your sunroof if you skunk me:laughing:

FWIW, it's easy to weed out the dumbshits and make decent deals with decent people if you handle it right

Agreed. If someone is guaranteed on the way then fine. They get one chance to show up when they say they will. After that they are out. More than once I have refused second chance.

P.S. it takes 45 minutes to get across my state!

Take it down, relist for 2500 or 3k. If you're inundated with stupid offers it's because your price is too low.

I absolutely hate selling cars on the internet now.
I recently listed my wifes car for sale for a pretty reasonable amount, I had probably 15 retards texting me low ball offers in cash, I answer no, but they always came back with 'but cash man". WTF do you think? Im taking credit cards for it or something?

Dont take a deposit or hold anything unless someone is on their way. If someone makes a offer THEN puts conditions on the sale in their favor, they can promptly fuck themselves.

People try that shit every time I sell something. They offer X amount, I agree, then want me to deliver 100 miles away at that price.

I wish I could find more cheap Corollas and Camrys. I sold one of each this year, both piles of shit one totaled. Both sold to Nigerians after some quick negotiating. Tons of people lowballed me but they are easy enough to ignore.

I dont sell shit anymore. Ive given up. I give it away, or sell to a friend at a 'give it away' price, or it goes to the scrapyard/ dumpster.

I just leave shit up for a fkg year. Works every year. :laughing:

I made a couple larger sales in the past few months if things I listed in August. August 2019. :laughing: There are way too many "but $1500 is all I have" so I email / txt them back to say I sold it for $1525 and the ad stays up. "Wut? Why didn't you tell me, I would've paid 1525!" Next message I send "but you told me 1500 was all you had so..." :flipoff2:

Leave the ad up. Wait for your serious buyer.

I wish I could find more cheap Corollas and Camrys. I sold one of each this year, both piles of shit one totaled. Both sold to Nigerians after some quick negotiating. Tons of people lowballed me but they are easy enough to ignore.

I find that the less English someone speaks the easier they are to deal with. I sold an ancient SnapOn cordless impact the other day. Had lots of crackers message me about it to lowball me or ask if I'd drive 30 miles out of my way to sell it. Took the ad down, jacked the price up 50 bucks and reposted, had a Mexican guy that could barely type English offer me my original asking price, so I told him I'd take it if he came and got it... Guess who was in my driveway cash in hand 15 minutes later? Didn't ask me shit once he got here besides asking if I had any other tools I wanted to sell.

Selling stuff sucks. If someone offers me a low ball offer I usually just go up the equivalent they went down. Fuck off.
​​​​​​ I'm not giving you a killer deal because you offer xxx cash. Bring your card bitch and I'll run it through square:flipoff2:

It's so annoying I usually don't even negotiate as a buyer any more. If it's a fair price I'll buy, of not I won't. Not like I'm trying to resell.

I usually hook the buyer up if they ask in person though.

One time I went to buy an international truck from a place in Commerce city. Its a few hour drive. Called the guy, asked about it, told him I was on my way up and headed out with cash in hand. Got almost there (like a half hour away) and he calls me and says don't bother my boss doesn't want to sell it anymore. You can bet your ass I went ahead and showed up there anyhow and let them know exactly what pieces of shit they were. God that pissed me off.

I find that the less English someone speaks the easier they are to deal with.

:laughing:

I have adopted a strict coherent english only policy. I've dealt with WAY too many no-speakies and it just pisses me off in person. Just wait till they bring a kid to negotiate.

My last attempt they told me they had the cash and HAD to meet that day, theyre fuckwads to my truck (engage 4x4 in a concrete parking lot), then offered me less. That's the mexican way, along with talking shit in spanish between themselves like I cant understand them because I'm a gringo redneck.

So I agreed to meet them at the mexican mechanic the next day and their lowball price, got in the truck, and blocked his number.

thumbnail_no-craigslist-flakes.jpg

Selling stuff sucks. If someone offers me a low ball offer I usually just go up the equivalent they went down.

Disagree. Selling stuff rocks. When I was 8yo (on a camping trip to BC) I found 4 large gold colored coins in the firepit after putting out our campfire. Newfoundland, dated 1908. Fast forward 2 weeks I was walking down the street in McMinnville Or and showed them off to an "adult" who promptly offered me $5 for them. Didn't think it was a lowball so I took it. Candy bars were 15¢ back then. :flipoff2: I googled those coins a few years back; current value today? $5 :lmao: I've been flipping shit since I was 8, yo.

But I do that same thing with lowball ppl now, offer me $500 less and I will return offer with $500 more. That sets the tone for an "appropriate" sale price lots of times.

​​​​​​

The people that send lowball offers without looking at the item are not buyers. I put in the ad “don’t make an offer until you are standing in front of me with cash in your hand”. If they do I tell them to get someone to read the ad to them again.

yes, I sell a lot of shit on Craigslist.

The people that send lowball offers without looking at the item are not buyers. I put in the ad “don’t make an offer until you are standing in front of me with cash in your hand”. If they do I tell them to get someone to read the ad to them again.

yes, I sell a lot of shit on Craigslist.

not always true. I live at a minimum an hours drive from anything I might buy so I always throw my offer out first. But I usually make it clear

Just listed a set of tires with a $400 asking price. First guy to contact me said "$300?" I reply "If your offering $300 I'll take it but only if you pick them up today" his reply was "Which ones are they messaged a bunch of ads lol" so I send the link and he's all "my wheels are 17s my bad lol".

Everytime I renew the ad I get a whole bunch of "I'll take these, call bill (xxx) xxx-xxx" type messages. Seem to be flippers who low ball on everything :confused:

Just listed a set of tires with a $400 asking price. First guy to contact me said "$300?" I reply "If your offering $300 I'll take it but only if you pick them up today" his reply was "Which ones are they messaged a bunch of ads lol" so I send the link and he's all "my wheels are 17s my bad lol".

Everytime I renew the ad I get a whole bunch of "I'll take these, call bill (xxx) xxx-xxx" type messages. Seem to be flippers who low ball on everything :confused:

Should had offered him three tires. :flipoff2:

Man, some of yeas have the worst luck selling shit. The transmission dealio and one other time were the only issues I've ever had. Otherwise I've had fantastic luck buying and selling stuff.

Top Back Refresh