What's new

Cooling Fan Tech

this look about right

1666713193587.png

That looks like a pretty decent price for a high powered brushless fan. I'm seriously tempted to swap out the volvo fan on the DD for one of these with a standalone brushless controller as I can get it to warm up under certain conditions

Fuck FiTech and yes on Holley as long as it's not a Sniper.

I'm using the same fan :

full
you are putting me more and more on the holly term x kit, if i recall i saw a pic on your french tick thread that oil pressure can be used on holly i am leaning that way more and more. thank you again.... i love the blunt honest approach.

That looks like a pretty decent price for a high powered brushless fan. I'm seriously tempted to swap out the volvo fan on the DD for one of these with a standalone brushless controller as I can get it to warm up under certain conditions

Why would you use a standalone controler when you can get a SPAL PWM sender that will do it better ?

-Sensor-for-Spal-Brushless-Fans-190-to-215-degrees.jpg

It’s either 18” or 19" I have seen people mainly say 19”. I didn’t measure mine. The shroud is 22Wx21H
18"

you are putting me more and more on the holly term x kit, if i recall i saw a pic on your french tick thread that oil pressure can be used on holly i am leaning that way more and more. thank you again.... i love the blunt honest approach.
Oil pressure is indeed an input of the termX

Why would you use a standalone controler when you can get a SPAL PWM sender that will do it better ?

-Sensor-for-Spal-Brushless-Fans-190-to-215-degrees.jpg

I'm not familiar, what are the details on that? Does it allow you to change the run conditions for AC operation, etc? It still requires a relay configuration right (edit: high amperage brushless controller more than a generic relay pack)

I'm not familiar, what are the details on that? Does it allow you to change the run conditions for AC operation, etc? It still requires a relay configuration right?
3 posts higher

Have you guys been able to source a new female connector to mate with that fan motor? I see it's a Yazaki 7286-1398-10 connector per the data sheet YJ-6 posted, but those seem relatively hard to find from my initial search. I'm sure I could get one cut off from a local junkyard, but it would be cool to use all new stuff to compliment the new fan.

Have you guys been able to source a new female connector to mate with that fan motor? I see it's a Yazaki 7286-1398-10 connector per the data sheet YJ-6 posted, but those seem relatively hard to find from my initial search. I'm sure I could get one cut off from a local junkyard, but it would be cool to use all new stuff to compliment the new fan.
I ended up having to buy a prebuilt harness for like $75 + the ride. I tried hard to source the parts to build myself but it’s damn near impossible.

You need to do more research

I ended up having to buy a prebuilt harness for like $75 + the ride. I tried hard to source the parts to build myself but it’s damn near impossible.
see above

Last edited:
Crazy thing is that fan is fused 100A from the factory, but wire sized 8ga. That doesn’t add up. Being 850w it should be between 60-70FLA with 12-14V. If it’s fused 100A it should be 4ga wire. If not the wire is the fuse.

D562EFA4-3AB0-4D08-BEEC-4A27AAF2633D.jpeg
3337DD8E-E61C-4A51-B1DD-57E3B316E01A.png
9E58F5FA-F4DB-48E7-867E-1FB2B53B3775.jpeg

That chart is very accurate for 3% voltage drop of two conductors.
Have you guys ever measured voltage drop of a 40' run at 15 amps? 3% on a 12v system is .381 volts.

That chart is very accurate for 3% voltage drop of two conductors.
Have you guys ever measured voltage drop of a 40' run at 15 amps? 3% on a 12v system is .381 volts.

Just like hydraulic systems need to have a reservoir that is 3x the size of the total volume in the circuit.
Except that's not what happens in cars.

Just like hydraulic systems need to have a reservoir that is 3x the size of the total volume in the circuit.
Well you aim at a target you want to hit it, if 3% is not needed then don't aim for it.

Or a hell of a lot of heavy equipment for that matter.

DeltaPAGJohn - can you give some background on PAG? As a company do you develop and build the fans and controllers? Are these sold to vehicle OEMs?
Sorry for the late response, Delta PAG has been manufacturing and selling high performance cooling systems for over 10yrs. We build everything in house, motors, electronics & software. Its a unique product with two utility patents. So we're forced to since we couldn't find off-the-shelf components to meet our performance needs. We sell to many OEMs, usually smaller, high performance/efficiency demanding applications. The EV push has really made our product shine. Delta PAG cooling fans and pumps are really next level and far outperform anything else on the market.

None of it look waterproof / rugged to me.
Everything is waterproof IP68 and electronics are high temp, grade 0 rated. I think we're the only fan company using Grade 0 components. Yeah, they are a little more expensive, but they're the best.

A little bit of loom would go a long way toward sprucing it up.
Yeah maybe a wire loom will look good. Most looms we find use nylon and the wire that we use has a much high temperature rating. Notice that the wiring is mounted directly to the shroud that gets +200f ambient, regularly. That will make a quick mess of nylon looms. We looked into high temp looms, that stuff gets expensive and doesn't add anything to performance. If the client wants to pay for it, yeah sure, we'll even gold plate it for them. We're all engineers here at Delta PAG so we live by "form follows function"

Lets compare the "data". PAG VS SPAL
Both 14" brushless fans.
At 1.0" H20 static pressure the PAG is at max eff. 47% at 1700 CFM at 17 AMPS
At 1.0" H20 = 250 Pa static pressure the SPAL is 37% eff. at 1652 CFM at 41 AMPS

So both fans are almost the exact same CFM but one takes 41 AMPS while one only takes 17AMPS
What this means is that one of the two has bogus data.

At 1.6" H20 = 400 Pa static pressure the SPAL is at max eff 40% at 1168 CFM at 38 AMPS
At 1.6" H20 static pressure the PAG is at 30% eff. at 800 CFM at 6 AMPS.
To give you an idea of performance my smallest brushed Spal at 7.5" moves around 200 CFM through a 2.5" thick core at 5.4 AMPS
How the 14" PAG is able to pull 800 CFM at 6 AMPS is magical.

For the most part AMPS = Horse Power = CFM there is no way around it when efficiencies are relatively close.

My guess is the PAG "data" is bogus like most of the ebay and import "data"
When you correct for the actual CFM based on AMPS and at realistic static pressure through the thicker off road radiators that we use, you will find that PAG's can not pull through a dense radiator with a lot of drag as stated. You would need to have a thin front mounted radiator with fresh air at speed so the fan would not have to work as hard with a lower static pressure.
The deeper blade Spal can pull the air through a dense radiator regardless of radiator location and vehicle/air speed.

The Delta PAG numbers are not "Bogus" I don't think you understand the relationship of load and higher static pressures or vacuum. There are a ton of things an engineer can to to improve efficiency. From special materials, software and overall design. Yes, efficiencies are drastically different when its done right. But I can understand your skepticism, people have been doing it "old skool" for such a long time, at this level of tech is seems almost magical (or bogus). Its not magic, its proper engineering and technology. Not many companies design and manufacture using Delta PAG's tech. It's just next level.

Realize that this thread started by wondering how a brushless product can be less efficient than old brushed tech. Everyone knows that brushless is significantly more efficient than brushed. So what happened? Well... they simply just built it wrong.

I am just into this for knowledge when thinking about radiator size. And probably a fin design angle. But from a CFM standpoint and Fan HP/Amps.... Is that a straight line or logarithmic graph? Seems like there has to be a point where you just can't suck more air thru a radiator.(or fan) I found that out in the 70's with a 4" thick copper radiator. Replaced with a 2.5" aluminum with same outside dimensions.

Edit. The copper radiator just took longer to overheat and wayyy longer to cool down.

Everything is waterproof IP68 and electronics are high temp, grade 0 rated. I think we're the only fan company using Grade 0 components. Yeah, they are a little more expensive, but they're the best.

If your components are so good, why doesn't any high profile race team use them ?

Top Back Refresh