What's new

Cool Tricks/Gadgets for Camping

I tried a hammock last trip, maybe it was too cold for what I had, but I don't think it's for me, I'd rather just bring one of our expanding roll up pads and a tarp to sleep on if it's just me.

Did you have an underquilt? Its mandatory. I was on a five day trip on the motorcycle with my hammock and no underquilt. 75º+ and I froze my ass off. Its weird. You need some form of insulation underneath you.

I use an Exped Mega Mat any other time. It's like a giant thermarest/air mattress hybrid and works great. Tarp on the ground used to be a great option for me. This spring, a friend was sleeping under a tarp on a cot (no tent). When he woke up to fold up his cot, he noticed a FAWKIN COPPERHEAD had crawled into bed with him to keep warm.

I read a story where a guy was sleeping on the ground with no tent and woke up with a raccoon sleeping on the end of his sleeping bag. :laughing:

My setup:
TyGYw20.jpg

2g0XqoW.jpg

Warbonnet Blackbird XLC and Superfly. Its nice. Takes a little while to get used to. Sometimes setting it up can be a pain. Getting all the angles right. Definitely need an underquilt though.

I once spent 3 weeks on an uninhabited island in the Caribbean, I slept in a hammock between two palm trees the entire time. My only issue was the rats using me as a highway between the trees.

I precook taco meat so I can just warm it up in a pan then eat.
Always pack the ez up last, so you can haul it out, set it up, and unpack the truck under it.

For backpacking, the top of my pack always has a tube of fire paste, and a siltarp. If it gets really ugly out, or we declare a meal break, the tarp gets set up on trekking poles, then a fire can be started easily.

I’m picturing going on a 5 day trip with nothing for food but a few gallon sized ziplocks of taco meat. :laughing:

Take one of those laundry detergent jugs with the push button, fill with water and some dish soap.
set on stump, wash hands, easy dish station...

What about washing the soap off? Do you use another jug with just water?

I’ve done the hammock stuff before, it’s not my favorite. I stay warm enough down to 40 degrees even with an Ultralight bag and no underquilt, but I hate how it rocks. I sleep like shit all the time and generally drink a decent bit to help me go to bed. Camping even more so. Being in the “room is spinning” level of drunk and then having a hammock that swings for 30 seconds every time you shift position sucks. So does peeing out of it and getting dressed in the morning.

It was better than a foam pad, but it’s worse than an air pad.

I havent camped in many years but when I did I slept in the back of my full size gmc 4wd truck and one thing I really enjoyed as did any women folk I dragged along was a heafty source of water which now days is a 85 gallon tank of diesel in the back of one of my po 7 Chevy trucks.

But back in the days when I rode motorcycles and three wheelers I was a nut for having plenty of water mostly for showering.

I miss those days but am not as in shape now and age takes its toll on the body.

What about washing the soap off? Do you use another jug with just water?

Anyone use a lithium battery backup power station, or whatever the hell those things are called!?! Jackery seems to be the \\\"popular\\\" brand... \\n\\nI\\\'ve been looking at adding solar to my camping/hunting setup and this seems like the easiest/cleanest solution. We camp and hunt out of a wall tent, so it needs to be portable and able to withstand the elements. \\n\\nFrom what I can tell going this route all I need is:\\nSolar panel- Looking at this one- Renogy 100W 2pcs foldable:\\nhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1\\n\\nPower station: lots of options depending on need, I am currently only looking at using it to charge phones/gps/tablets/etc. Looking at these two:\\nJackery Explorer 160 or Explorer 240\\nhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...B7UVA7OU&psc=1\\nhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D29QNMJ...dDbGljaz10cnVl \\n\\nI\\\'m not set on the above options, just what I have come across in my early search of this. Any input would be great, thanks!

Do you overland bro???
fuck the maid stays home.

He's talking about setting up stations to both soap and rinse. It is the most efficient way to use a limited amount of water. We we only bring 10 gal. or so that is the way we roll but if I had 85 gal. of water I wouldn't care too much.

Reactions: Clb
I was joking about the overlanding dorks with everything bolted on a rig so it cannot move.

I am on the minimalist side of stuff.
2 of them jugs would do fine.
I dont wash dishes much, but it is a nice setup and easy to move around.

Last edited:
Anyone use a lithium battery backup power station, or whatever the hell those things are called!?! Jackery seems to be the \\\\\\\"popular\\\\\\\" brand...\\\\n\\\\nI\\\\\\\'ve been looking at adding solar to my camping/hunting setup and this seems like the easiest/cleanest solution. We camp and hunt out of a wall tent, so it needs to be portable and able to withstand the elements.\\\\n\\\\nFrom what I can tell going this route all I need is:\\\\nSolar panel- Looking at this one- Renogy 100W 2pcs foldable:\\\\nhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1\\\\n\\\\nPower station: lots of options depending on need, I am currently only looking at using it to charge phones/gps/tablets/etc. Looking at these two:\\\\nJackery Explorer 160 or Explorer 240\\\\nhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...B7UVA7OU&psc=1\\\\nhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D29QNMJ...dDbGljaz10cnVl\\\\n\\\\nI\\\\\\\'m not set on the above options, just what I have come across in my early search of this. Any input would be great, thanks!
\\\\n\\\\n\\\\nEdit: It seems the Jackery will handle up to 30v, so skip the $120 panel/charger combo and just get the single panel or two if needed.\\\\n\\\\nYou would still need a solar charge controller of sufficient amps to handle the max current of the solar array.\\\\nRenogy has the 100w version of the same thing you inked with the controller but an additional $50\\\\nhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1\\\\n\\\\nFor $250 you could get more bang for your buck with something like this $120 https://www.ebay.com/itm/HQST-100W-W...UAAOSwvNpelU8p\\\\n100w poly panel and 30a PWM controller add a $71second panel and build some legs for them to sit on the ground\\\\n\\\\nA single 100 watt mono panel is not going to out produce 200w of poly panels.\\\\nI am a fan of Victron MPPT solar charge controllers but they are more money and may not give you an advantage for your needs.

Last edited:
For comparison this the performance of my 4x 100w HQST compact monocrystaline panels and 100/30 Victron Smart solar controller charging 2x 210AH 6v GC2 golf cart batteries in Silverton, CO with sunny days and some rain.

MqPq-nOBqHpkKiIUi_bL1ccNoOGf-a4Z_eW-dL0e5TqOVNEGIKj58hQRilZue9Zm8xmJsTCjS-134xV8-Wuhmw7BgfRzSRgpYMDHtSLXBclQLytLQa61bUBiJ1CT3kvkHsWm86C2HrdK2-2T9PYQ1k4hAh9eZZ2CbJJ0Wh2SmiqS79gDzY6ZlQfu_QJE5qyZgW1vN3WAIw8F4EaXwxxVOrjcZrKZ-SMSlF-Br44IFpMUINuHiqerYRcmzbUJifG-g53jF8Tsz9GV87biXzkcmRETd3UI3Pq2O2ZZpLJU0Qkl8ULPuobiZPEqPD88oU7JDpG5HhYSpahQkxDSr6NNIB11YB4m8U1LaQ_duLEtHqaboyFIq_u5X9DLboIwy_WRseWdyLV3VLSFLbjvlv1UL-XY1odcdbJhzdpHqcf2T0KqmDpAdYJLDVl48piIdmOmqQxX6QvBoyM5sYXylbafpGQ2F9T-wDFaKj4N_VfqPhWhd6x_gXvDSjrRGYJs0Xv4YvxiqRcb6ipgwjdC5oD-VZ7dr31lDrLg4gX2oyURVxtEp_Y26EQtfTrNjwy1VkKsYupYdtMpSskyJ444aNinmwrz-M7bRlzkobh_EmpB8yk8hDCU8X6rndXjh9jZvJeFk3BWenjqZABI2xuProBkNJRUiPAoO41NzdAVQCEEYNrXopoCzevJ60hRUSqsaw=w441-h904-no

I took one of my 5 gallon home brewing corny kegs and converted it to a water tank. I put a short section of hose on the gas inlet and cut a metal valve stem up and inserted the threaded metal portion into the line and hose clamped it on. On the outlet I put about a 6' section of hose with a ball valve. I pressurize the tank with either my co2 tank or a bike pump. Use it for drinking water showers etc. Only issues is after a few dys on the trail the water turns into perrier.

Bringing this thread back up from the dead.

For those with a fridge/freezer or for those that have purchased one since this thread went dormant, after more time has passed, how are they holding up? What brand and size do you have? What are some additional Pros/Cons and or Likes/Dislikes about your specific fridge/freezer.

Last edited:
All my guys with arb's are still going strong.
Now/today the other brands are also popular, no idea on longevity tho!

All my guys with arb's are still going strong.
Now/today the other brands are also popular, no idea on longevity tho!
I've got an ARB from when they just slapped an ARB badge on an Engel, and it' lives on as a patio fridge.

For those with a fridge/freezer or for those that have purchased one since this thread went dormant, after more time has passed, how are they holding up? What brand and size do you have? What are some additional Pros/Cons and or Likes/Dislikes about your specific fridge/freezer.
I have an Engel that I purchased in ‘03 or ‘04 and has been running about 85-90% of the time since then. It’s in the truck or Jeep during the warmer weather and in the house used as a beer fridge the rest if the year.
Best purchase ever.

Last edited:
I have an ARB 50 that I bought used 2 years ago now? i don't know what year it is but it's a first gen as it doesnt have the wireless capability plug in on it. it get's used on trips but otherwise off. Best thing i did was add the ARB power outlet kit to put the outlet in the bed of the truck by the tailgate. Outlet is wired directly to the battery so it stays on even at rest stops when the truck is shut off. We take coolers for drinks and food but the ARB gets used as a fridge on the ride out for more sensitive food ideas and once set up it gets switched over for freezer use.

For just two people I would say the 50L is perfect size. the bastard gets heavy when it's full though. i think it weighs 45# or so empty?

Edit: forgot to mention I had issues with my ARB shutting down when in the backseat of the truck plugged into the 12v outlet. I thought it was getting old and on it's way out. Ended up looking at the safety settings on low battery voltage and it was set on high so it saw the voltage thru the 12v outlet in the dash as low voltage in the battery and would shut down. once I changed it to low setting on battery saver it hasn't shut off since even in 95* heat in the sun in the bed of the truck.

I love my arb, it lives in the back of my truck.

I got this one as a gift from a friend. might be one of the best gifts I have ever gotten. but it is heavy when full.

Its been good so far. I don't beat on it but its gotten wet, bounced around and works fine. It was a little noisy at first but after a couple trips down some gravel roads something seems to have rattled into place

Install one of these into your water can.

616d5e8f094b665054bc7063354fd29f.png

I carry Scepter cans on my rear bumper, and one of them has a spigot installed in it. That means I don't have to remove the cans under normal use--I only ever have to lift one up to refill the empty can.
'
Added to the grocery list :smokin: :beer::beer:

Top Back Refresh