What's new

Cool Tricks/Gadgets for Camping

Yes. Rvshare is awesome

OK, I've thought about this too. What's the skinny?

How much for a week, roughly?

Do they have wierd truck requirements? Age, capacity, ect?

Can you pick up or drop off in different locations?

What about an rv, anyone do that, tow a crawler?

I believe 06h3 did this also, curious what the ups and downs are.

The one big thing I liked when we had a camper, was having ~90% of what we needed always in the camper. This obviously would not be a benefit to renting.

I also don't like the ones with the mural blasted on the side, just screams "rob me" to me for some reason. A company decal, I could probably deal with.

I could see it working well for places like KOH. Tow your wheeler down, drop it at camp and go pick up a rental.

My brother in law rented a trailer this way. When he picked it up the guy told him the tanks were empty so off he went for a fun camping weekend with us and some other family for the weekend. When he got to the campsite and got the trailer parked and leveled and everything unpacked he went to use the shitter and realized the fucker was plum full. no problem, the campground has a waste dump, so he packs it all back up and hooks it up and tows it over to the dump. Now the motherfucker wont drain, so were all there trying to figure out how to dump some other family's shit. Some body had a fitting that you could valve out the drain side and attach a garden hose to pressurize the tank side. That seemed to sorta work and after an hour or so of fucking around with that we got it down enough so he could use it for the weekend. Turns out there was some little kids rubber toy down in there blocking the drain. Renting RVs from regular Joes trying to make an extra buck turns out to not be such a good idea and I would never rent mine out that way.

We did our first full “Glamping” trip this week. I have a small list of things to add to our “kit”. One major change is the Blackstone griddle, Mrs wanted one so I got her one. It will be added to the back deck cooking area, and a Campchef pro 60X stove will be added to the camping gear. A couple family members had them, we like the flexibility of the stove add ons.

CAEB39E2-F666-4D4E-AB75-2BF34541F2C6.jpeg

The propane fire pit is nice too :smokin:

Mrs family holds a big camp out Labor day weekend (we just got back today). Mrs would have a rental dropped off at the camp ground for her. She has been doing this for a few years, I usually didn’t go due to work issues. Last year was the final straw. She was tired of dealing with all of the rental unit problems (full tanks, leaks, broken shit). We have our own trailer now.

We’re on property so storage isn’t an issue. It’s been used as “Guest quarters” when our oldest came out to visit. We have gone on a couple trips already, and are planning a couple more.

How much for a week, roughly?

Do they have wierd truck requirements? Age, capacity, ect?

Can you pick up or drop off in different locations?

What about an rv, anyone do that, tow a crawler?

I believe 06h3 did this also, curious what the ups and downs are.

The one big thing I liked when we had a camper, was having ~90% of what we needed always in the camper. This obviously would not be a benefit to renting.

I also don't like the ones with the mural blasted on the side, just screams "rob me" to me for some reason. A company decal, I could probably deal with.

I could see it working well for places like KOH. Tow your wheeler down, drop it at camp and go pick up a rental.
I used the “outdoorsy” App which is basically just a bunch of regular people who rent out their personal camper

They have some requirements like “no raves” or music festivals, some say you can’t use it in the desert.... and some don’t give a fuck.

the guy I rented from had pics of his trailer in the desert and in the forest, he was using it for the same reason we do. He had dirt bikes so finding someone who uses it for desert/offroad use is a plus as I feel they are more understanding.

I paid $150 a night I want to say but it was a 8-10 person sleeper that was 30+ feet...so if you divide it up it can be cheap. With that said, 8-10 people in a camper you would have to be very resourceful. Our grey water, fresh water, Black tank were all almost full/empty after 10 days in the desert with 4 people using it.

It can be done cheaper with smaller RVs. We had a big one. Also, get a friend or two to absorb the cost. I have done anywhere from 3-10 days camping in a tent at KOH. At 10 days, even if the weather is cooperative, and by cooperative, I mean the wind is bad only 2-3 days out of the 10 it gets old being in a tent.
I found a spot to dump the grey and black water on the way to returning it. I did get hit with an 100 dollar fine for not washing it before giving it back which sucked.

+Whatever for the Blackstone griddle. we have a toyhauler and still use the Blackstone for cooking on a lot. Breakfast gets cooked on the griddle in the camper. We have the 22" tabletop version and it fits over the stove in the camper just right. that way the griddle is under the exhaust hood. I will say that thing is thirsty though. a little 1# bottle only made 3 meals before it was sucking fumes. going to have to add a 20# to 1# adapter hose. but then we will be cooking outside. cooking inside the camper is nice when it's already 80+ at 0700, or raining.

It says

6.8" is the spork part just really small? If they are at least as big as the taco bell ones that seems alright.

I ordered a set anyways
yeah they are like a TB spork. Barely adequate. The knife is the best part about the thing. I might just cut the spork off and keep the knife in my kit with my Ti spork that I love. Then I could grind down the worthless "knife"on the Ti and make it a little better.

1631114616873.png

G
yeah they are like a TB spork. Barely adequate. The knife is the best part about the thing. I might just cut the spork off and keep the knife in my kit with my Ti spork that I love. Then I could grind down the worthless "knife"on the Ti and make it a little better.

1631114616873.png

Gotcha... i prefer the smaller utensils in the drawer anyhow

These were kinda my fears. I guess that's what the reviews are for? Not that it's the owners fault for the toy, most likely, but he should be checking that shit (ha! :laughing:) before the next family takes it.

Anyone try just a company?

1631114616873.png
'
Those blades reminds me of the 'CIA letter openers' that military surplus catalog stores used to sell in the '70s and '80s. :smokin:

I do Outdoorsy at KOH also. Found a guy in Santa Clarita that will deliver and pick-up his trailer for like $250. Comes with everything you need (Utensils, plates, etc.) I think we paid $150 a night this year. A cheap date in the grand scheme.

Oh this is the thread for me.

Snowpeak TI Sporks are the best.

I use Amazon knock off heliox chairs. Cheap and I can pass out in them fine.

Add a gci folding side table.

Wife got me some solar/battery camp lights. Awesome to string up around the truck or between trees.

I've been really liking these lights https://www.amazon.com/Goal-Zero-Crush-Powered-Lantern/dp/B07BMJPH8L

They work equally well hanging or on a table, have a really yellowish light thats easier on the eyes, hold a charge for a while and pack easily

I need to take some pics of how I do a dog run. Had several people ask about it when i've been camping and it works well and is easy.

I'm looking for 2 things -
First a good basic stove stand. Growing up we had one that looked like this Amazon.com: Century 9050 Wire Cook Stand Accessory : Sports & Outdoors and worked well. No frills, packed flat and small. Now they are all the sliding leg style or some monstrosity with a cooler holder, sink, drying rack. Too much
Second a way to keep ice for drink when using a 12v fridge. I like my iced tea with ice and some for the whiskey around the campfire. Maybe just a ziploc in the bottom (coldest) part of the fridge?

these are the lights i like:

they are plenty bright, have magnets AND hooks

and it has the charge cord and charge indicator on board.

i have had them for several years and havnt broke one yet.

Second a way to keep ice for drink when using a 12v fridge. I like my iced tea with ice and some for the whiskey around the campfire. Maybe just a ziploc in the bottom (coldest) part of the fridge?
this is my dilemma and why i carry both, ice chest for drinks and ice + fridge for everything else

this is my dilemma and why i carry both, ice chest for drinks and ice + fridge for everything else
Thats been my backup plan. Ice will last a while if people aren't constantly pulling food out, letting it warm and putting it back in.

I did pick up a GPS "tactical cooler" from midway a few months ago. You can carry your beers and guns all in one bag, never been a prouder 'murican :usa:. But on a serious note it works really well for a softside, was only ~$25 and due to being briefcase sized fits a lot of places a cooler won't

Blender ran off a die grinder. It's amazing how many new friends you will have after a day of wheeling when they hear the blender fire up. Margaritas anyone?

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh