What's new

Cool Tricks/Gadgets for Camping

I made an on board shower a few years ago.
12v RV pump & a heat exchanger.

Lots of people try to adjust water temp by flow control.
i just bring a 5 gallon bucket (also used as a toilet with several bags) & cycle the water with engine running until it gets to the desired temp.

I use a Zodi propane heating unit and preheat the water in a Scepter can to desired temp, preheating is the ticket..

Oh and ditching my RTT in favor off a small pop up camper modified for the backcountry has extended my interest for now, for awhile i thought about giving it up.

Last edited:
They're like 5 or 10 bucks on amazon, don't take up any room at all when packed. Won't go in the bush without one.

1200px-Mosquito_Netting.jpg

You're doing it wrong. make sure you let your ingredients cool to room temp before rolling them. this keeps the condensation from being trapped in your foil and greatly reduces soggy tortas. Slow and low in a pan or on the grill. also worth noting my wraps. twisted ends = bacon, flat ends = sausage. ;)

Never a soggy one (but definitely a few burnt ones when you lose focus and walk away from the grill for too long)

O86jtTU1lyrimIasZp98rIhnpn8TdsXDe2Uh5tKX1Ez79qMLLl_Bk5HYzkgixvqP-1eB4NnHYvw-8E76nsSeCTsbkvPrZV8VNeiA52lTiu18S14T76TObtxlbe6KPnvndrk8hSkmFYG1KxdT_2yBvfaBnNP5gNxc-5qLSsYUgt3-3N1MyYM8anhmaSmNoKuWX9D21foTF7jSolROhIIlxftqHTmbOEG0btx7FN82x58p3TdOvH3UC_KkCRzAARXyIeGYIuf9WlA-19MgtsVzwwgdNO48m2bycw62ogG4CiRF75Sc8o0TP6ogdxmlG72ZGxou74GoQ9vtoeRyXbpnf1_NZuepImQ7Ey3i0wGY5-17cRgqU5K0O4vAtlyS9yINJlfr5Eo5d7I95AsWOXJ4OSv0TnIzCqBvVD7lPuKQs5G20Fu_Gz3toW75Pl40xalNTFmtlOySt6RsaETvbjXRGRTq1GXiQhcmXnC4HeiMWTRhEHVAo-lk_1yKqWnfs_hXvtggJro_xYNabOG4sHsELNV2Lq0BkO1LKTeXZb-fOih2A2zLY0t9IuIiYpP-7gjXRuhgyYh0g0doPFqMwg6HUX-mO94Y0w5rMyi3st5ESBytJEwGtjYES7IUzRvdmXDVKFTKhFlWzeJuHHrwgPDB2xId3jbTrrWIC_adBcxTt_Oo5XK6MAXtzoL-YU1Z=w1736-h977-no

nofqgT_v3swF_O8h5tJNm2vfdEt2LFc_gmxB6ARdPtfrMTzs91pB4huMWFR02RYci0myQfBcViNvEZdRJVA4Y7b27z8mTTiQImtI_s-cVYeOrK15GrcYd4J4w7A2iMdzdAY5FQFSYjK-p104NasMxWFSIlRK8v-i0wXiFDF9yTKUxVd_ivgf76icO5fiRlQNO_eeccjwiD5rKWnSI0AdlxqPG-IHqiqeMYJhdcTfGBcsCOGwZuagKjgdTlxXui1tgTlwiVU5x6-8H55gT61HzoMHR-5nqGfHfWlUZtybPF2qpNP7ZtWLUTX0Ia9y_N-_ptK2AUVsAluCeapBALii1CDmEmjih7TK6qdoegdItyYxmXwooLUU-5Fv8NPNm7eN8UuISn_11OnCbmc8t1RiJ9tvF4wsQX1j-OmV7LQSSpxEwhUzLm_sxmPn5qEJTVcS_GlYApY5uO2rnGgaDUbc-TuplAdPBNdiHp2V-SnN14cuh7fPDqp4OST1m9mHN0loFvlpOWhe9RtKlD60jzHve_YlkfgT2FvQWp8poq6_rUa88B5Wlpxzc9OTWGiLfsMdKbS0h4IhKYYJ9jAdkvz48EwSAvkmSnDKA973hiuIyHUth7UPj46NaoMaoVeHAZLvWIHwd6T2_RPuBMPRtvGtwXPbTUT3n5C51dxyRRcV8BxcJp6fYF4v65vD5iCI=w551-h977-no

Oh fuckin-A....that right there is the thread winner.

Reactions: Clb
Bought a few of these to use while hunting. They’re great for adding water into a travel trailer, or just general water use.

I use the crap out of those water cans you have pictured. Though I am too lazy to pour or siphon those things into the holding tank on my Lance truck camper. Simple easy solution is to get a few feet of hose and a coupler. Connect to the winter antifreeze pickup hose. Flip the pickup valve accordingly and let the water pump do the work as needed. For extended trips I'll have a 30 gallon or so supply on the front of the trailer behind the camper/truck.

Last edited:
Depending on my trip, I bring 1 of 3 stoves I have: 2 burner propane (Coleman), single burner propane (like pictured). and then a few years ago a guy on Pirate was selling these cool little white gas stove on pirate for like $25 shipped, so I picked that one up (works great, but can't use large pots or pans on it) It's the size of a s softball.

filedata/fetch?id=42704&d=1592415676

Folgers coffee container fits #1 GREAT
i have the older red one

I may have to get one of those water cans. We've just been using several of the Arizona Ice Tea thick plastic gallon jugs. Fill those with water, load them in the front of the trailer to add tongue weight and off we go. Have one big can might be better, as long as it fits.

I HATE doing dishes in camp. we pre-make ALL food for the day/week/month and freeze them in take-out containers. Pull out what you want for breakfast the night before and let it thaw, Same with dinner in the morning. throw them on the grill or stovetop to heat up.

2063891.jpg

Do you use a fridge? Because that shit will not hold up in an ice chest. :confused:

Right answer, I’ve never been camping without a bottle of something. Toys with horsepower is a plus too, who cares what you eat or how you cook ir:flipoff2:

I may have to get one of those water cans. We've just been using several of the Arizona Ice Tea thick plastic gallon jugs. Fill those with water, load them in the front of the trailer to add tongue weight and off we go. Have one big can might be better, as long as it fits.

I use mine quite a bit for other things outside of camping also. They’re really nice for beach trips when you want to rinse sand off.

Until I get my camping groove back, and expand on my cooking equipment/skills, I rely on my backpack stove to boil water to make this:
1*EQXkVkleW_I1zC7k6lS9gQ.jpg

And also my secondary source of food (when I don't feel like cooking) :
83012600-3.jpg?v-cache=1589287086.jpg

Forgot to mention:
I learned when I was a Scout leader with my two boys of making burritos out of almost any/every meal.

Unless you're having tomato soup for a meal; making a burrito out of your meal can be a real game-changer (it was for me). TMMV

I use the biggest tortillas available.

I also like to use the 1lb to 20lb propane tank converter when I have enough room to carry a larger tank.

Also, a Coleman distribution tree where you can run a lamp and a couple of lines off a single 20lb tank.

photo9644.jpg

My Camp Chef setup at home so I can roll it in and out of the shop. I bought the bags for when we go camping, take the burner unit, the BBQ box and a single griddle for breakfast...
20191123_170109.jpg

For coffee I use this collapsible silicone filter holder. Holds a small cone filter. Just add grounds set, on top of your coffee cup and pour hot water over.

Coffee.JPG

My Camp Chef setup at home so I can roll it in and out of the shop. I bought the bags for when we go camping, take the burner unit, the BBQ box and a single griddle for breakfast...

I thought I was the only one redneck enough to use my camp stove at home :laughing:​​​​​​

It's nice in the summer to not heat up the house with the burners.
​​​​​

Top Back Refresh