What's new

Concrete wire reinforcement

That wire mesh made it hell doing my tear out. It all came out in small pieces and a lot of it had to be cut. I don't know shit about fuck when it comes to concrete, but I didn't put the mesh back in.

I did use rebar and had fiber added to the mix. Its a 6" slab with 12" under the posts. I'm sure one of you cocksuckers will tell me all the shit I did wrong, but I just finished the pour this afternoon.

whatever providence says, do the opposite and you'll be fine :flipoff2:

10' x 10' x 5½" ⅜ rebar 1' on center
20180419_152433.jpg
20180419_154351.jpg
20180420_085122.jpg

how many vibrators got lost in that clusterfuck?
looks like the kinda mats that both absolutely need them and absolutely snag them

None. But there were some voids on the underside that caused some concern with teh owner. :laughing:

At what point does it become more cost effective to just use steel decking on beams and forget the rebar and concrete?
This was a wharf deck at a container terminal so it was over salt water and exposed to heavy traffic and container loads. Doubt there's a steel deck design that would have held up. The nominal deck thickness was 18", with another 6" cushion layer and 9" sacrificial paving layer and parts were thickened up to 3'+ over the columns and the beams that supported the container cranes were like 6' deep.

the more you hate on welded wire mesh the more i want to force contractors to use it.

i have to pull out my concrete book for the wwf equivalency chart.

oh #5 at 12" ocew? i got a mesh for that

the more you hate on welded wire mesh the more i want to force contractors to use it.

i have to pull out my concrete book for the wwf equivalency chart.

oh #5 at 12" ocew? i got a mesh for that
I hope you do :flipoff2: they will continue to install it wrong

Alright, maybe your contractors will do "the right thing" and that will be the 1%. Still close enough for my 100% stance that it is a failure and oversold

This is what the rebar placement looked like during construction of the Containment Domes at Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant, and here is a piece of what it looks like in my hand. It measures 2.25" in diameter. The Containment Domes can withstand a direct hit from a 747, and that hit would not penetrate the Domes. :eek:

DCPP1a.jpg

DCPP3a.jpg

So while we're on the subject....

Am I likely to be able to call up a rebar and column cage supplier and get prefab grids of 1/2 rebar so I'm not stuck tying rebar in an 18" trench? Are there standard sizes?
Probably not. You're going to need to call a wire company and get prefabbed welded wire mats made from deformed wire. Thats what we do for the majority of our 3-sided bridge work. Way easier to swing mats into place and tie the mats together than string a bunch of bars together.

Davis Wire, CRI, Insteel to name a few...

What was at Chernobyl ?? :confused:

This is what the rebar placement looked like during construction of the Containment Domes at Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant, and here is a piece of what it looks like in my hand. It measures 2.25" in diameter. The Containment Domes can withstand a direct hit from a 747, and that hit would not penetrate the Domes. :eek:

DCPP1a.jpg

DCPP3a.jpg

DCPP1a.jpg

DCPP3a.jpg
Also known as #18 rebar. It's still in use today, but you don't see it often. I built a 9 foot deep slab/footing with it once. 4 layers of #18 bar that were 82 feet long. 1250 ish pounds per bar. Our best day we put 109 tons in a day.

With as small as the pour is and as mild weather and decent drainage as you've got in the picture, you've been fine without it:flipoff2:

At least you've got the wire barely an inch off the ground in the middle, self defeating the dobies :rasta:

None. But there were some voids on the underside that caused some concern with teh owner. :laughing:

This was a wharf deck at a container terminal so it was over salt water and exposed to heavy traffic and container loads. Doubt there's a steel deck design that would have held up. The nominal deck thickness was 18", with another 6" cushion layer and 9" sacrificial paving layer and parts were thickened up to 3'+ over the columns and the beams that supported the container cranes were like 6' deep.
well, exposed bar near seawater, I'd be a little salty too

Top Back Refresh