What's new

Cold weather gear for standing

He's talking about rain gear, not a shell for walking dogs for an hour when its drizzling.

A head to toe rubber suit. Bib style pants, long jacket, a hoodie and a stanfield under that and you can fall over and sleep wherever.
Yeah, the rain gear is to stop the wind. You wear warm stuff under it.

I wear a pair of sweatpants under jeans, a pair of woolsocks over kneehigh tubesocks, 4 layers of thermal shirts, underarmour xl armored hoodie, refidgiwear bibs and jacket, and insulated boots.

I work in a -20f freezer on standup forklifts and can stay there for 5hours or more if I wanted to. one tip would be to make your outer layers a larger size as you build out. I can wear a large t-shirt but by the time i get to my outer bibs and jacket, im up to a 3XLT. you can build up less than what I have and still be comfortable in 10-15f

An uninsulated shell isn’t going to keep you warm. It will keep you dry. It won’t do shit for standing around in 20 mph wind when it’s 30 degrees and colder.

Hoodie, jacket AND a rain coat will work better than wearing a rain coat in a wind storm.
I don't think anyone was saying to go out there in a t shirt and rubber coat, just that you want your outer most later to be a solid barrier. Keep the wind away from your insulating layers and let them hold in that warm air

Carhartt longunderbritches are nice. Can get them in different weights, fleece lined. Made a big difference in my ability to sit in a tree with a rifle at 0 degrees.

Top Back Refresh