What's new

CO Poisoning?

In August of 2016 a friend of mine bought a new 5th wheel, turns out it was about 15K cheaper in Ohio than anywhere in TX and it was around 2k for the round trip fuel. We left the dealer in Ohio and ran to Indianapolis and stopped at the Cabela's on the east side of town, fired up the generator and went down for the count at 11PM. Around 12:30 I woke up to quiet beeping coming from the middle of the trailer (I was in the mid bunk room). I fumbled around looking for the mystery beep for about 5 minutes, turns out it was the CO detector in the kitchen island. I ran up to the master bedroom and opened the door and the exhaust fumes took my breath away, Danny woke up but he needed a hand outside.

I killed the generator and we stood outside for about 30 minutes getting some fresh air, figured that if we were awake we should be making miles west, so we drove on for another 2 hours until it was all we could do to keep each other awake, did a 2 hour truckstop nap, and stayed in proper RV parks with legit electrical hookups the next two nights.

The wind died after we had fell asleep at the Cabela's and the exhaust pooled in the tuck bed and just seeped into the neck of the trailer, I'm just glad I was in an uncomfortable bed and a light enough sleeper to have heard the alarm.

Man talk about a close call.

I’m always concerned about this stuff and really thought I was okay since I was working at the edge of the door. I guess one can never be too careful when dealing with fumes.

Have an uncle that had co poisoning years ago, my mom said he wasn't quite right after that, has outlived all of his siblings but ain't right.

KOH few years ago rental class C RV, wife was in sleeping i heard the co alarm going off, the generator exhaust was missing the extension causing the RV to fill up with fumes.

Local guy at one of the Carlisle shows sleeping in his truck,RV next to him running generator, killed him.

Quite a few years back at a Big Dogs event and we camped in the party field and lived it up that night. Got up the next morning and my buddy was passed out in his tent with the propane lantern running. I always thought he was lucky but never realized how lucky until reading this thread.

Destin from SmarterEveryDay did a video of himself in an altitude chamber giving himself hypoxia. It was crazy watching him sit there and smile while they told him he was going to die if he didn't put his mask on.

I saw that! That was where I referenced from, but could not remember what show I was watching. Dude was like... I don't see what the big deal is... this is easy.

A guy I knew that I bought the first gen Toyota my friend has now died from this. He came home from the bar and must have decided to take a quick nap in his truck as he got home but he was in the garage with his truck. He never woke up and was found a few days later. He was a real good guy.

Im paranoid about this while sleeping in my rv. It has a co detector but I bought another for backup just in case one doesn’t work. Im more worried about the heater in it than the generator. The generator is propane.

I saw that! That was where I referenced from, but could not remember what show I was watching. Dude was like... I don't see what the big deal is... this is easy.

That was such an eye opening video for me, really glad to be able to see something like that in controlled circumstances to really see what happens to someone in that situation.

Based in the stories in here a lot of people have gotten lucky avoiding really bad outcomes.

I just got back from home depot with 2 new CO detectors. One for the house and one for the RV.

Top Back Refresh