What's new

CO Poisoning?

Did another session outside and nausea is gone. Still tired and slightly dizzy, but pretty sure I’ll be fine. I’ve had a lot of time around fumes, first time it made me sick.

Yes. It sucked into house. I found wife sleeping in steps. Co2 alarms going off. We were both so confused we agreed to go to sleep and the alarms must be faulty.

I had a moment of clarity after that discussion and opened house doors. Then dragged wife out. We laid in yard in snow a long long time before we had the wear with all to get in our car and leave. Drove to my parents

you read that right. We were so confused and tired we figured the alarms were broken and we needed to go to sleep.

This was my biggest fear with a pellet stove in the house. I have Guardian CO detectors in the house so help would be sent if they went off.

How dangerous is 2-stroke exhaust? All those older snowmobiles smoked like crazy on cold starts. Fills the garage with dense smoke even with the doors wide open.

We're talking about the boogeyman you can't see.

Ive been around stupid and cool my whole life. Never really thought it was real until it got me. Its no joke.

Flesheater, glad to hear you're doing better and were able to identify the situation and what was going on.

For those who dont know, its rich air/fuel mixtures that create CO. Lean or stoic mixtures create very little to no CO. A functioning catalytic converter will clear up excess CO to almost zero even if it's running slightly rich.

Poke, that's a hell of a story man, glad you and yours are okay. Your symptoms almost sound like hypoxia, that's scary stuff!

How dangerous is 2-stroke exhaust? All those older snowmobiles smoked like crazy on cold starts. Fills the garage with dense smoke even with the doors wide open.

I ran my snowmobile in my closed shop just last night. It was only for a minute and it filled the 24x36 building pretty quick.

I went to the hospital for CO poisoning a few years back. We were running a concrete saw in a basement with the windows open. The windows didn't help. I had the urge to vomit for a couple hours but was barely able to puke at all.

Hospital put me on a saline drops for a couple hours and urged me to the hyperbaric chamber. I declined.

Was hunting at 10k ft and staying in the tack room of my horse trailer with my brother. Was cold so I turned on the propane little buddy heater or whatever it's called. Woke up about 3:30am cold cause the heater wasn't on. Went to fire it up, wouldn't light (safety sensor worked)

I had the brilliant idea to fire up the lantern for some heat, because in my mind the heater broke. Wouldn't light. Lit a match...instant snuff. Opened the door, lit the match, walked back in. Snuffed. Fuck.

Woke my brother up and made him get out. He was pissed at first but after a bit we both realized we were close to not waking up.

Fresh air seemed to work for us but we weren't right for a day.

I ran my snowmobile in my closed shop just last night. It was only for a minute and it filled the 24x36 building pretty quick.

I went to the hospital for CO poisoning a few years back. We were running a concrete saw in a basement with the windows open. The windows didn't help. I had the urge to vomit for a couple hours but was barely able to puke at all.

Hospital put me on a saline drops for a couple hours and urged me to the hyperbaric chamber. I declined.

Why did you decline?

Sounded expensive and a waste of time. It would be at a hospital and hour away and I wasn't that poisoned. Lol.

Running a generator in a trailer, side door was open but back door was shut. Cold as crap and soaked from rain/snow and I was standing by it for heat.

Pretty sure I was borderline hypot and then gave myself CO posioning as well. Days to recover and same as above.

Lumpy cammed 351w, tinkering with the edelbrock 600 to get that perfect staccato thump at idle through the flowmasters... garage door up so no problem... cold-ish humid day... backed in garage so exhaust blowing on the back wall... no major problems but I shut it off, went inside the house weak and retarded as fuck and passed out for a few ours sitting upright on the couch. Had a headache all evening after I woke up, and exhausted (lol) for the rest of the day.

It ain't no joke.

They say Hypoxia is the best way to go.... peaceful. That scares the crap out of me because your mind decides for you before you even get the notion that you need to fight.

Yeah, had it happen. Didn't seek medical help because I was just a little woozy and started feeling better about 30 minutes after getting out of it and clean air.

Back in the early 80’s I was working on my 340 Duster and let it run for a bit indoors, felt fine while inside the garage but holy hell, the second I walked outside I thought my head was going to explode. I ended up with a massive headache for three days afterwards.
I don’t do that any more.

They say Hypoxia is the best way to go.... peaceful. That scares the crap out of me because your mind decides for you before you even get the notion that you need to fight.

Destin from SmarterEveryDay did a video of himself in an altitude chamber giving himself hypoxia. It was crazy watching him sit there and smile while they told him he was going to die if he didn't put his mask on.

Yeah and it almost killed me. Got rear-ended then started getting tired while driving. Didn't put 2+2 together until the second time I almost passed out sober at the wheel.

Didn't even work on it myself, there was a mom&pop garage on the commercial road I almost passed out on, drove right in and told them, they put it on the lift. There was a kink almost pinched shut from the accident. He put a torch on it and worked the kink out with channel locks and charged me $30.

Worked great after that.

Lumpy cammed 351w, tinkering with the edelbrock 600 to get that perfect staccato thump at idle through the flowmasters... garage door up so no problem... cold-ish humid day... backed in garage so exhaust blowing on the back wall... no major problems but I shut it off, went inside the house weak and retarded as fuck and passed out for a few ours sitting upright on the couch. Had a headache all evening after I woke up, and exhausted (lol) for the rest of the day.

It ain't no joke.

Exactly what I did. Had the Bronco backed in, ready for a rear axle swap. Was working out by the garage door on that damn carb.

Next time every window and door will be open.

Of course I went back out and the floor was covered in antifreeze and so was the fan and core support. Pretty sure the water pump just took a shit.

You will be fine but it will accumulate in your blood and take a while to dissipate so do not take any chances, avoid exposure for several days or a week. Get a big fan to change the air in your garage if something is running.

I put an incorrect input into the setup wizard on a Holley Sniper and made myself sick at work this week. It was running bad.

Last edited:
Flesheater, glad to hear you're doing better and were able to identify the situation and what was going on.

For those who dont know, its rich air/fuel mixtures that create CO. Lean or stoic mixtures create very little to no CO. A functioning catalytic converter will clear up excess CO to almost zero even if it's running slightly rich.

Poke, that's a hell of a story man, glad you and yours are okay. Your symptoms almost sound like hypoxia, that's scary stuff!

I just went through the fuckery of installing a set of brand new cats on a 97 F-150 that I am convinced was stored in a submerged salt mine. The gutted ones on it were horrible and I would get sick at more than the slightest whiff of it running. I don't want some kid to get stuck in a field and off everyone in the truck because of CO.

So this thread is a little scary. I have a pellet stove with a CO alarm nearby. It is pretty much useless unless I have my hearing aids on so I need something that will flash intensely or a bitch slapper type thing that would slap me awake. Any real aggressive alarms out there?

So this thread is a little scary. I have a pellet stove with a CO alarm nearby. It is pretty much useless unless I have my hearing aids on so I need something that will flash intensely or a bitch slapper type thing that would slap me awake. Any real aggressive alarms out there?

Honestly, I would just pay for security service. Guardian, ADT, whatever. They call you INSTANTLY at the alarm going off. If no answer help is dispatched immediately. They’ll know it’s a CO alarm as well and send paramedics and police.

This is the perfect description of the feelings and responses. Definitely not a joke.

Attached garages are fucking dangerous especially if intakes or furnaces are in them..

It happens fast while you are getting slower
I totally agree and anybody who ever has the barndominium dream, I always wonder how well they thought it through.

I could rig up a wireless Shock Collar, and the transmitter is connected to the CO sounder circuit :shocked:

Also, you guys were right. Felt like I had a hangover today.

My dad showed up unexpectedly, so he had me out back cutting trees and brush all day for his deer hunting. Think that was enough oxygen to clean my blood. :laughing:

In August of 2016 a friend of mine bought a new 5th wheel, turns out it was about 15K cheaper in Ohio than anywhere in TX and it was around 2k for the round trip fuel. We left the dealer in Ohio and ran to Indianapolis and stopped at the Cabela's on the east side of town, fired up the generator and went down for the count at 11PM. Around 12:30 I woke up to quiet beeping coming from the middle of the trailer (I was in the mid bunk room). I fumbled around looking for the mystery beep for about 5 minutes, turns out it was the CO detector in the kitchen island. I ran up to the master bedroom and opened the door and the exhaust fumes took my breath away, Danny woke up but he needed a hand outside.

I killed the generator and we stood outside for about 30 minutes getting some fresh air, figured that if we were awake we should be making miles west, so we drove on for another 2 hours until it was all we could do to keep each other awake, did a 2 hour truckstop nap, and stayed in proper RV parks with legit electrical hookups the next two nights.

The wind died after we had fell asleep at the Cabela's and the exhaust pooled in the tuck bed and just seeped into the neck of the trailer, I'm just glad I was in an uncomfortable bed and a light enough sleeper to have heard the alarm.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh