What's new

CO Poisoning?

FleshEater

Ordinary Average Guy
Joined
May 21, 2020
Member Number
832
Messages
3,419
Loc
Pennsylvania
You guys ever get this?

I was working on the Bronco, it was running rich. Doors were open, and I was standing near the door adjusting the carb.

Didn’t think anything of it, but I’m not feeling too well. Exposure time was about 20-30 minutes. Didn’t feel too bad while working. Could definitely smell the fumes.
 
Get to the ER and get checked if you are concerned. CO binds tighter to hemoglobin than O2. Call the ambulance if you are concerned about driving.
 
What's the temp outside? Can you sit in the fresh air for a while?
 
Yes, same scenario. SBC running rich, damp air, headaches, feeling like shit, CO monitors go off. I felt like shit for days.

It was probably worse and longer lasting than I gave it credit for. Get checked, it gets serious fast.
 
Last edited:
Even with the doors open?

Yes. It sucked into house. I found wife sleeping in steps. Co2 alarms going off. We were both so confused we agreed to go to sleep and the alarms must be faulty.

I had a moment of clarity after that discussion and opened house doors. Then dragged wife out. We laid in yard in snow a long long time before we had the wear with all to get in our car and leave. Drove to my parents

you read that right. We were so confused and tired we figured the alarms were broken and we needed to go to sleep.
 
Luckily mine is detached.

Sucks because I was tired when I got home. Now I’m still tired. Too afraid to fall asleep.
 
Yes. It sucked into house. I found wife sleeping in steps. Co2 alarms going off. We were both so confused we agreed to go to sleep and the alarms must be faulty.

I had a moment of clarity after that discussion and opened house doors. Then dragged wife out. We laid in yard in snow a long long time before we had the wear with all to get in our car and leave. Drove to my parents

you read that right. We were so confused and tired we figured the alarms were broken and we needed to go to sleep.

holy fawk, man

did it bring about any long term health issues as a result?
 
you read that right. We were so confused and tired we figured the alarms were broken and we needed to go to sleep.

I have nothing to add but thats fucking scary right there :eek: Glad you made it out though
 
Yes. It sucked into house. I found wife sleeping in steps. Co2 alarms going off. We were both so confused we agreed to go to sleep and the alarms must be faulty.

I had a moment of clarity after that discussion and opened house doors. Then dragged wife out. We laid in yard in snow a long long time before we had the wear with all to get in our car and leave. Drove to my parents

you read that right. We were so confused and tired we figured the alarms were broken and we needed to go to sleep.

This is the perfect description of the feelings and responses. Definitely not a joke.

Attached garages are fucking dangerous especially if intakes or furnaces are in them..

It happens fast while you are getting slower
 
I’m confident others found dead from co2 had a similar experience to me. To this day I don’t know why I didn’t go to sleep. I was the one convinced the 3 alarms going off were broken and we’d deal with it in the AM. Then I laid on steps and slept a bit I think. Then woke up and went to door. It’s hard to recall the exact order and time frame. Either way, we coulda easily expired that night.
 
I’ve had a crew get hit with it on a jobsite. Go to the hospital if you are worried at all, it’s a big deal.
 
I’ve had it many times from that same kind of source. A 2500 horse top alcohol drag car will make you physically ill in under a minute inside of a garage. Drink water, take excedrin and you should be fine.

Diesel exhaust in tight quarters makes my teeth hurt 😬
 
Ok, none of you fawkers have CO2 detectors. It's CO detectors.

FleshEater------CO builds up in your blood over time, and it takes time to dissipate from your blood. Exposure to fresh air, or oxygen if available is a treatment.

It's not toxic, doesn't make acid inside you, etc. and I'm pretty sure there's no long term health effects. All it does is prevent your blood from picking up oxygen.

You're typing cognitively so, you're probably fine, but you know yourself so seek med if you feel you need it.
 
We had an older couple die from CO poisoning a few years back. Husband left the car running in the attached garage. He was old, so probably just thought it was off. Living space was above. Welfare check followed by a call for staging.
 
isn't it normal to be a little fucked up with a splitting headache from running an unvented heater in the garage?
that's just when you open the door and let it air out a little
 
How dangerous is 2-stroke exhaust? All those older snowmobiles smoked like crazy on cold starts. Fills the garage with dense smoke even with the doors wide open.
 
Top Back Refresh