What's new

Classic Car market

I’ve got a question. Why did people stop driving these things the first place? Anyone who would like to drive one would be sick to their stomachs to see the beautiful running driving cars we dismantled and turned into demo derby cars. These were running driving vehicles we paid maybe $300 bucks for to take them out of someone’s side yard. We’ve gutted some killer Lincoln’s and one Chrysler Imperial that had nothing wrong with them.

must not have had any trade in value when grandma wanted a new compact?

I’ve got a question. Why did people stop driving these things the first place? Anyone who would like to drive one would be sick to their stomachs to see the beautiful running driving cars we dismantled and turned into demo derby cars. These were running driving vehicles we paid maybe $300 bucks for to take them out of someone’s side yard. We’ve gutted some killer Lincoln’s and one Chrysler Imperial that had nothing wrong with them.

I think it's just when they're a dime a dozen, no one cares about them, it's not until they get old and more rare that people take notice. I have a '13 Mustang GT now and the value on them is dropping like crazy (which I fully get, there's a million of em out there) . I'm convinced that if I kept the car in some weird time capsule state, 30 years from now it would be a sought after "survivor" and worth something, just like what's happening to late 80's Fox bodies now. But I'm gonna use the thing up and I'll probably be dead in 30 years

Clean Japanese cars are starting to go for stupid money.

I don't get that one. Those cars were cheap throwaways. They feel cheap, were made from hard brittle plastic. There's just no real long term quality. I have a GF8 impreza wagon that I fixed up a few years ago. It's cool I guess. But the body is basically the consistency of Tupperware.

You are right, they have been gaining value like crazy. My $1500 impreza is now a $5k impreza. A nice survivor is $12k-$20k.

Absolutely nothing about these cheap Jap cars makes me think they will hold up to time.

Last edited:
The question is, will you pay $8,000 dollars for a car ActionFab paid $5,000 bucks for? He’s going to blow the rat turds off of it and wash it. Maybe put 4 new Walmart tires on it.

Accurate.

Me personally, my tastes have been leaning towards the big old 60's land barges and wagons. I still love old muscle cars, but they don't catch my attention anymore nearly as much as old ugly 4 door boats. Kind of weird, but that's where I'm at.

Exactly. I see more and more people falling into this category. How old are you? I'm in my early 30's.

Fab, I just turned 49... I grew up lusting after musclecars, but I don't know if I'm just over it or what. It might be a Roadkill effect for me, because I see that they can take a random shitbox and make something fun out of it, it doesn't have to be a traditional musclecar.

Someone needs to explain the 50k Civic to me...

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2000...result-photos/

Last edited:

when they were $300, they were everywhere. They held up to time very well. Then scrap prices killed a bunch. Derby killed more. Gas prices killed more. Other trends kept them cheap. Nobody gave them love. Not any money in them to even warrant repairs and upkeep. Soon, there just won't be that many good ones left.

Fab, I just turned 49... I grew up lusting after musclecars, but I don't know if I'm just over it or what. It might be a Roadkill effect for me, because I see that they can take a random shitbox and make something fun out of it, it doesn't have to be a traditional musclecar.

Someone needs to explain the 50k Civic to me...

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2000...result-photos/

The $50k civic is the $900 TSLA :laughing:

I’m interested in finding a weird old car. Not interested in paying a penny over $1500 for one, but I’d like a do over on a 73 to 79 Ford Ranchero. Clean intact interior is a must, one spec of cancer and I’m out. They were basically full frame station wagons with the top cut off to be a truck. Came with 429’s and were 4 linked from the factory. Giant ugly and exceedingly fun. I bought a 77 from a guy who went blind. The trans went out from sitting so he gathered up a new transmission, but his family wouldn’t let him drive anymore (in his 80’s). I bought it for $300 and put the other transmission in. Registered and insured it, and the plastic coating on the cam gear disintegrated the first week, pistons hit valves and bent valves trashed the valve seats. I did a mild performance build on a 400 and stuck it in along with a mini spool in the rear. I couldn’t get 1000 miles out of a pair of sams club tires because it could power brake just off idle. I blew the engine going 150 mph so I gave it away to my little brother who sold it.

Top Back Refresh