What's new

Classic Car market

This, sort of. I'm the first of the "millenial's" 1980 but should have been a gen-X'r. All the youngn's I know want old SUV's and 4x4 trucks as everyone is an "overlander" these days. I know people putting LS's in FSJ Grand Wagoneer's and driving them completely stock looking. My brothers and I have had our fun with the land yacht's like AF is thinking but that was only because they were sub $1,000 dollar cars. We wasted tons of them as demo derby cars and hobby stock cars. My BIL has his grandads 500 CID 2 door Cadilac but that's more of a can't let it go thing. I can't imagine paying more than $1500 for a smog era boat that still got shit for fuel mileage and was maintained with duralast autozone parts.
This is the death of anything pre obd2 in California.
I noticed that we have some shit cars in the hood around here, but when I go to Oregon. Everybody has a shitbox on the road. Because they can register them without much hassle.

This car is the wrong color, and the vinyl top might be too close to turning shit. But I like it and I think it represents what what I'm hypothesizing pretty closely. I'd hold out for something better obviously, but for argument's sake I think we can use it as an example.

Yer on crack. That's a 2k car.

Yer on crack. That's a 2k car.

Depends on timing. AF sells it to some PBR drinking hipster. It strands him and his friends somewhere when the trans quits or it overheats and cooks the motor. $300 bucks and it’s yours since he can’t afford to fix it. :flipoff2:

I'm just trying to find a depressed market to get a little enjoyment out of. ?

If this is your logic, you will do well no matter what the market does. Buy a car you love for 5-10 grand and put some time/money in it and enjoy it. How can you lose? Keep it for 15 years and sell it cheap or make a killing. Either way you enjoyed it.

Now if you are taking 50 grand and buying 4 or 5 cars to keep for 15 years as an investment, I think you would do better in another arena.

If this is your logic, you will do well no matter what the market does. Buy a car you love for 5-10 grand and put some time/money in it and enjoy it. How can you lose? Keep it for 15 years and sell it cheap or make a killing. Either way you enjoyed it.

Now if you are taking 50 grand and buying 4 or 5 cars to keep for 15 years as an investment, I think you would do better in another arena.

In my ideal world, I would never sell any of my vehicles, I buy vehicles that I enjoy driving and owning. Now I know that's not realistic, as I've already sold 2. But I don't ever buy a vehicle with intentions of selling it. Idonno, I get attached to them. :lmao:

I don't see any old 60's or 70's 4 door land yaht's going up in value the ones that survived missed there calling as derby cars. The 80's & 90's cars that pull any coin will go up but not like the 60's & 70's cars did in the 90's there's not that much of a demand in my opinion.

I don't see any old 60's or 70's 4 door land yaht's going up in value the ones that survived missed there calling as derby cars. The 80's & 90's cars that pull any coin will go up but not like the 60's & 70's cars did in the 90's there's not that much of a demand in my opinion.

I'm here to be told why I'm wrong.

With that in mind why do you think they will never become valuable?

I'm here to be told why I'm wrong.

With that in mind why do you think they will never become valuable?

Millennials will drive down the market value of those normal 60s - 70s cars along with the old popular favorites because they don't want them. They are the largest generation, they are peaking in earning, they mostly want the "classics" they grew up with which are mostly imports. I'm betting the value of 90s and 00s "cool imports" will be where any meat develops on the bone to be harvested. They don't want their parents collection of already restored classics, market will be full of them, prices drop. It'll take down everything in the surrounding years.

They'll want Miatas, Honda 2000, Mitsubishi 3000, Acuras, Supras, etc. Finding unmolested drivers in this class of cars would be my bet on an investment with a fun element.

I definitely don't see any value to be gained on the car you posted. That's an over priced money pit with no creature comforts or cool factor to anyone wanting to spend that sum for a classic. Not to mention it's from the rust belt.

Millennials will drive down the market value of those normal 60s - 70s cars along with the old popular favorites because they don't want them. They are the largest generation, they are peaking in earning, they mostly want the "classics" they grew up with which are mostly imports. I'm betting the value of 90s and 00s "cool imports" will be where any meat develops on the bone to be harvested. They don't want their parents collection of already restored classics, market will be full of them, prices drop. It'll take down everything in the surrounding years.

They'll want Miatas, Honda 2000, Mitsubishi 3000, Acuras, Supras, etc. Finding unmolested drivers in this class of cars would be my bet on an investment with a fun element.

I definitely don't see any value to be gained on the car you posted. That's an over priced money pit with no creature comforts or cool factor to anyone wanting to spend that sum for a classic. Not to mention it's from the rust belt.

Fucking nailed it.

I think it was never cool

Generations of 4 door cars got used as donors for 2 doors, look around, you'll see everything from late 30s to 70s sedans sitting behind barns with no front clip, they didn't get used to fix another 4 door

because of this, I could see a dentist paying 15k for that odd 86 Shelby k car, but the 39,000 mile 86 caravan can't pull 2500, unless a movie studio needs it

The right era Lincoln or Cadillac will likely be cool for some time, but it seems there's pockets of years inbetween nobody wants

and these things cycle, the 50s trucks market is dead, everybody wants late 60s early 70s

another thing that happens, is demand brings supply, I've seen it happen in mustamgs and Broncos, 67-72 Chevy trucks, they got popular quickly, guys started pulling them out of fields, they got bought up from rural areas and came to market. Lately it's been 67-72 ford shortbeds, the drivers were big bucks, the project trucks were stupid, then 6 months later, I can find 8 short bed trucks within 100 miles that clearly are being flipped, sat for 20 years, tires aired up, towed into a metropolitan area, washed off, rat shit blown out, barn find, ran when parked, motor turns, gas monkey chip foose no lowballers or tire kickers

I saw it happen in 12 months on these trucks, and I imagine they are going to remain more popular than the generic barges you're looking at. It happened in the 67-72 Chevy trucks and they softly rebounded, it happened in the Broncos and fastbacks, and they kept climbing, but I can see them rolling over

doesn't mean your barges won't get popular, but never enough to overrun the supply, IMO

and I stick to gearheads scooping up later model stuff, yeah, we're here because we trashed old stuff in rocks, but most of these guys have another gear head hobby, boat, bike, sxs, street car, BMW, with the recent horsepower wars, all those 700hp dodges, raptors, 6.2 camaros, 5.0 coyote mustangs getting repo'd and liquidated, I might just put my $$ over there, and I won't be the only one

Clean Japanese cars are starting to go for stupid money.

Lately it's been 67-72 ford shortbeds, the drivers were big bucks, the project trucks were stupid, then 6 months later, I can find 8 short bed trucks within 100 miles that clearly are being flipped, sat for 20 years, tires aired up, towed into a metropolitan area, washed off, rat shit blown out, barn find, ran when parked, motor turns, gas monkey chip foose no lowballers or tire kickers

I wish every one of those no talent hacks would die in a fire.

I think it was never cool

Generations of 4 door cars got used as donors for 2 doors, look around, you'll see everything from late 30s to 70s sedans sitting behind barns with no front clip, they didn't get used to fix another 4 door

because of this, I could see a dentist paying 15k for that odd 86 Shelby k car, but the 39,000 mile 86 caravan can't pull 2500, unless a movie studio needs it

The right era Lincoln or Cadillac will likely be cool for some time, but it seems there's pockets of years inbetween nobody wants

and these things cycle, the 50s trucks market is dead, everybody wants late 60s early 70s

another thing that happens, is demand brings supply, I've seen it happen in mustamgs and Broncos, 67-72 Chevy trucks, they got popular quickly, guys started pulling them out of fields, they got bought up from rural areas and came to market. Lately it's been 67-72 ford shortbeds, the drivers were big bucks, the project trucks were stupid, then 6 months later, I can find 8 short bed trucks within 100 miles that clearly are being flipped, sat for 20 years, tires aired up, towed into a metropolitan area, washed off, rat shit blown out, barn find, ran when parked, motor turns, gas monkey chip foose no lowballers or tire kickers

I saw it happen in 12 months on these trucks, and I imagine they are going to remain more popular than the generic barges you're looking at. It happened in the 67-72 Chevy trucks and they softly rebounded, it happened in the Broncos and fastbacks, and they kept climbing, but I can see them rolling over

doesn't mean your barges won't get popular, but never enough to overrun the supply, IMO

and I stick to gearheads scooping up later model stuff, yeah, we're here because we trashed old stuff in rocks, but most of these guys have another gear head hobby, boat, bike, sxs, street car, BMW, with the recent horsepower wars, all those 700hp dodges, raptors, 6.2 camaros, 5.0 coyote mustangs getting repo'd and liquidated, I might just put my $$ over there, and I won't be the only one

This is where the money will be even clean Chargers and Chrysler 300 srt will probably be the only 4 doors I see pulling any coin in the future.

Spot on.

*edit - and millenials will want their "classic cars" to have some tech in them, or easily adaptable. Bluetooth, shit like that.

Last edited:
Spot on.

*edit - and millenials will want their "classic cars" to have some tech in them, or easily adaptable. Bluetooth, shit like that.

My c10 has the Bluetooth not a big deal to get that shit in a old vehicle.

Bluetooth, touch screen in a 68 C10 we did.
30656619_1841638915870012_86757407371296768_n.jpg

30440848_1468122643298422_4898162098007179264_n.jpg

My c10 has the Bluetooth not a big deal to get that shit in a old vehicle.

Ya, my son's 87 1-ton GMC has bluetooth, but it still rides and rattles like an 87 1-ton GMC... :laughing:

What I was getting at is, I don't see millenials being that interested in old school iron being adapted to new tech, they'd prefer to have something that came with that tech.

Ya, my son's 87 1-ton GMC has bluetooth, but it still rides and rattles like an 87 1-ton GMC... :laughing:

What I was getting at is, I don't see millenials being that interested in old school iron being adapted to new tech, they'd prefer to have something that came with that tech.

My customer is 28, made his own app at 14.

He wants all the tech in his 68 C10. Suspension, engine, everything.

Not sure where it's going or if the younger generation even gives a shit about cars, or even driving in general. Me personally, my tastes have been leaning towards the big old 60's land barges and wagons. I still love old muscle cars, but they don't catch my attention anymore nearly as much as old ugly 4 door boats. Kind of weird, but that's where I'm at. Watching the market is frustrating because everything is so expensive and/or over-priced. Like someone posted before, people will blow the turds out of something that sat in a barn for 30 years and ask for 6 grand.

Not sure where it's going or if the younger generation even gives a shit about cars, or even driving in general. Me personally, my tastes have been leaning towards the big old 60's land barges and wagons. I still love old muscle cars, but they don't catch my attention anymore nearly as much as old ugly 4 door boats. Kind of weird, but that's where I'm at. Watching the market is frustrating because everything is so expensive and/or over-priced. Like someone posted before, people will blow the turds out of something that sat in a barn for 30 years and ask for 6 grand.

Wasn't it you that had a Buick GN ? :smokin:

If you compare the performance and handling and reliability of a car like the Manual transmission Neon my daughter drives to any old 4 door boat it's a bad joke. Then see how poorly most people drive and especially park like shit in parking lots I dont see it catching on. But I have great memories of cruising around partying with 6 of us comfortably in a 74 Impala.

The question is, will you pay $8,000 dollars for a car ActionFab paid $5,000 bucks for? He’s going to blow the rat turds off of it and wash it. Maybe put 4 new Walmart tires on it.

The question is, will you pay $8,000 dollars for a car ActionFab paid $5,000 bucks for? He’s going to blow the rat turds off of it and wash it. Maybe put 4 new Walmart tires on it.

Nope....

Trampas, more or less. '87 Limited Turbo, same as a GN with chrome trim and pillow seats. A lot more rare, there were only a thousand something made. Bought it in '04 for $7,000, sold it in '09 for $7,500. Now I could probably ask at least 15 or 16 and get it, smh... Oops

photo8721.jpg

photo8722.jpg

Top Back Refresh