What's new

Classic Car market

I should have been more specific. The 80s were a good time for ze Germans. The Japanese not so much.

The biggest push I see among the kids is '80s JDM.

There has been a huge push for this on social media, with several specialty importers directing the market. Citing Leno again, it's been featured more and more.

People are gaga about Japan and Asia in general, and with Chinese bringing in loads of money, it's an obvious choice. Is there room for growth? Oh sure, but there's not much room to come up with a classic 70s and 80s JDM car, even a domestic one.

As the momentum builds, the cachet builds, and so do prices. If I was West Coast right now, and if I was into car investment, I think I'd be looking at that. The Fast & Furious generation is just at the beginning of their peak earnings years, I'd say JDM is right now where musclecars were at in the late 1980s.

I would expect several models of Skyline and Supra to catch 7 and maybe even 8-figure prices within 15 years. Original and unrestored are going to be hard to come by, and like the Ferrari GTOs they enjoy very high esteem among the wealthy.

A hopeful example might be Nick Mason's '63 250 GTO. He bought it for 37,000 GBP in 1977, which is 231,400 GBP today, or $292,000.

That's the most expensive car in the world of course, a '62 went for $48 million in 2018. Not saying an old Supra will fetch that but maybe a provenance Skyline will get $10 million someday.

And that of course drags up the price of less renowned cars.

Clearly you've never ridden in many 80s imports. They weren't called tin cans because they had less rattles, squeaks and QC issues than the domestic barges.

Clearly you're new to this community which from the beginning of the other board goes in order of precedence: Jeeps > 1980s Toyotas > everything else.

That's in terms of popularity, and just in trucks.

In the 1980s, people were on waiting lists for Honda Accords.

This is not really a matter of opinion: the 1980s are when the Japanese and foreign imports in general destroyed the US car market. You can have your opinion, but people were not lining up to buy Chevy Citations :laughing: Or anything Chevy for that matter.

The M3 and M5 are now reaching critical mass in terms of 1980s values. These cars are enormously popular and the '80s models are the coolest ones.

As others are pointing out, the 1980s are now reaching buying ability for people that grew up in them, in price/time terms to fuck around with a car.

As far as Domestics, there are only a few remarkable performance cars from the era. The first is of course Foxbody Mustangs, and that market is that market.

Then there is the Ford SHO Taurus, which began with a Yamaha engine in the 80s and is now ramping up in value (Conan O'Brien kept his for decades).

THen the Buick GN which again is it's own specialized market.

There are literally no other remarkable performance cars from Domestics in the 1980s. Even the C4 Corvette is the lowest-value one among Corvettes.

The GM G-body cars are going to do well. They are all literally nothing but badging in the 80s except for the GN, but they are cool and got used up fast for hoopties. They are objectively cool cars in good condition, though.

80s Thunderbirds already have a following, and the Turbo Coupe is coming up in value. This is the fastest car in NASCAR history, and it was a revolution in design.

If you can get your hands on one, the very rare Merkur XR4TI will get realy expensive.

Look at the 1st gen Bronco and Blazer markets. We're killing it with cars we owned for 5-7 years. Bought for 9K, drop 5K into them (no labor costs) and sell for 4-10X.

The 80s starion while I understand it was a mitsubishi, did have a dodge label and is skyrocketing in value as well. I think now is a good time to pick up the TT z cars and the turbo stealth if you can find a survivor at all it's likely undervalued as an early 90s car. The RX7s have a floor because of the rotary fanboys so they aren't really a bargain, but are stable.

Sure, but what percentage of the previous generation are they replacing? 20%?

At my local car shows, 2/3 of people have gray hair.

That's a different conversation. Car shows are boring. Out of all of the local car people I know, there is only one who is younger and goes regularly and that's largely to pimp his detailing and photography business. The rest of us prefer to go out and use our junk

That's a different conversation. Car shows are boring. Out of all of the local car people I know, there is only one who is younger and goes regularly and that's largely to pimp his detailing and photography business. The rest of us prefer to go out and use our junk

Yep. Car shows aren't for me either. There's a big car show every year 2 blocks from my house, I've gone once.

I'd rather go cruise the nice back roads

Sure, but what percentage of the previous generation are they replacing? 20%?

At my local car shows, 2/3 of people have gray hair.

That's not because young people aren't into cars. It's just that young people think car shows are dumb.

Look at the 1st gen Bronco and Blazer markets. We're killing it with cars we owned for 5-7 years. Bought for 9K, drop 5K into them (no labor costs) and sell for 4-10X.

What exactly are you referring to? I totally understand that these have skyrocketed the past few years. Are you saying another car/truck will do the same? If so, what are they?

My grandfather was always a painstakingly "restoration only" kind of guy. I like resto-mods and he hates engine swaps and such. He just sold this 1936 Diamond T 80D for way less than what he had invested in the resto and about half it's appraised value. He sold it on Hemmings auction. Back story is that this thing was purchased by Union Pacific railroad in Wyoming at a time they didn't have money to buy new trucks. And not only did they buy one but they bought the "Delux" version called an 80D. Diamond T's were the Cadillac's of pickups back then. In years past he was offered almost double what it just sold for but he was still touring the truck show scene with it. Now he's in his 80's and doesn't get around as well so it made sense to put the money back in the bank account. He is pretty heart broken about the dollars he took for it but like has been mentioned, right now it's a buyers market.

DT119.jpg

DT16.jpg

DT101.jpg

I guess I am an oddball... I daily drive an 87 Toyota Van. I USE it. I also had several 80's vehicles over the years. They are practical, inexpensive and fun. Am I to understand I am driving a classic? :laughing: I have actually had several offers on the thing. To me it's just a car I keep in relatively good shape... and I am having fun with it still.

The last "new" vehicle I bought was sitting on a lot in 2010 and it was a 2008 model 4wd, chevy Colorado pickup I got for 9k, because it was a manual trans in So. Cal. and they couldn't sell it. I have mostly always had beaters I found somewhere, restored them and then sold them off after 3 or 4 years and found another ride- rinse-wash-repeat. I like wrenching and fixing stuff I guess.

I can say this with certainty. If you have little or NO mechanic ability, then buying old and refurbishing or restoring is a completely losing proposition. I have made money on EVERY vehicle I have had.

Last edited by a moderator:
My grandfather was always a painstakingly "restoration only" kind of guy. I like resto-mods and he hates engine swaps and such. He just sold this 1936 Diamond T 80D for way less than what he had invested in the resto and about half it's appraised value. He sold it on Hemmings auction. Back story is that this thing was purchased by Union Pacific railroad in Wyoming at a time they didn't have money to buy new trucks. And not only did they buy one but they bought the "Delux" version called an 80D. Diamond T's were the Cadillac's of pickups back then. In years past he was offered almost double what it just sold for but he was still touring the truck show scene with it. Now he's in his 80's and doesn't get around as well so it made sense to put the money back in the bank account. He is pretty heart broken about the dollars he took for it but like has been mentioned, right now it's a buyers market.

DT119.jpg

DT16.jpg

DT101.jpg

This is an amazing truck man.... kudos to your gramps for saving it.

That's not because young people aren't into cars. It's just that young people think car shows are dumb.

What exactly are you referring to? I totally understand that these have skyrocketed the past few years. Are you saying another car/truck will do the same? If so, what are they?

Crew Cab fords, OBS chevy...

The weird or rare stuff.

I agree, wagons are the shit. But that ship sailed a few years back. Most are bringing $20k these days.

Something like this is kinda what I'm thinking. 66 Star Chief Executive. $5k. It has a 389 with no compression on cyl 7. Cam whiped a lobe. So figure pull the engine down, toss in a cam and valve train, have a machine shop do the heads, balance the rotating assembly and go back with bearings and rings. Keep as much factory as possible. Add a 4 barrel intake and carb. Keep it basically stock beyond that.

It's been garage kept its whole life. It has great timelessness. It's well built and hand assembled, plus the colors are good.

So is it worth $5k plus 20 hours and another $2-3k to get it perfect?

Screenshot_20200611-090139_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200611-093104_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200611-090153_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200611-090208_Facebook.jpg

Crew Cab fords, OBS chevy...

The weird or rare stuff.

I bought a crew cab OBS conversion truck with 100k miles. Drove it 3 years, put another 100k on it and sold it for $1k more than I paid. It needed tires, steering, suspension and a tailgate when I sold it. The nice old truck scene seems kinda crazy already.

I'd say so, mainly because it seems to have an straight and complete body and interior. I would want that with a blown engine instead of the other way around, interior stuff can be hard to find and a bitch to get right. And body work sucks.

This statement doesn't make sense to me. If you like cars and you don't go to car shows, where do you go to see them? I do think there is a reduction in interest in cars/trucks. Probably because of excessive policing. Cars/trucks represent freedom. When I was young, Everybody couldn't wait to get away from their parents. Now a days, they just go in the basement and go a thousand miles on Utube. Don't get harassed by cops or EPA/BLM. Have you ever heard a young person talk about a computer like a car. They can't wait to get the latest supercharger for their phone. It's sad.

This statement doesn't make sense to me. If you like cars and you don't go to car shows, where do you go to see them? I do think there is a reduction in interest in cars/trucks. Probably because of excessive policing. Cars/trucks represent freedom. When I was young, Everybody couldn't wait to get away from their parents. Now a days, they just go in the basement and go a thousand miles on Utube. Don't get harassed by cops or EPA/BLM. Have you ever heard a young person talk about a computer like a car. They can't wait to get the latest supercharger for their phone. It's sad.

Your garage. Your friends garage. The race track. When you and your friends meet up to go for a cruise. Or just when your buddy stops by on his Sunday cruise or if you and some friends meet someplace for lunch/breakfast/dinner with the weekend ride. Etc.

I like cars and dont care for car shows at all. I'd rather help my friend with one with thiers or vice versa. I'll check them out at a track or glance at one in a parking lot. I guess I'm not really into the cars that are built for shows.

I like cars and dont care for car shows at all. I'd rather help my friend with one with thiers or vice versa. I'll check them out at a track or glance at one in a parking lot. I guess I'm not really into the cars that are built for shows.

Well, that's great, but the only problem is you don't get to see a lot of stuff. How many people do you know who have classics? I'm not really into the track seen. And there's lots of cool cars/trucks that don't go to the track. I can't say I'm in to "show built" cars either. I like classic "drivers". I wouldn't own a car/truck that I'm afraid to drive. My faverate kind of show is the ones in a parking lot of a bar/restaurant.

Well, that's great, but the only problem is you don't get to see a lot of stuff. How many people do you know who have classics? I'm not really into the track seen. And there's lots of cool cars/trucks that don't go to the track. I can't say I'm in to "show built" cars either. I like classic "drivers". I wouldn't own a car/truck that I'm afraid to drive. My faverate kind of show is the ones in a parking lot of a bar/restaurant.

I like art. I don't go to museums or buy coffee table books either.

To me, looking at cars in a parking lot is what people aren't in the car scene do. Just like going to air shows.

most of my friends have cool cars of one form of another. Everything from twin turbo Talon, Porsche 911 track cars, single cab short bet Chevys, fast back 60's mustangs, Jeeps and Toyota crawlers, Vettes, Drift cars of varying types, body swapped war era saloon on S10 chassis, Broncos and Blazers, VW camper bus. Etc Etc. I would say I am friends with and see regularly 15 dudes who are into the car scene. At least half of the horse chicks who are our clients have husbands with cool old/custom cars and airplanes.

This statement doesn't make sense to me.

It's pretty simple. I don't want to hang around a hot parking lot with a bunch of old dudes who spend 10k on spray wax every year. We see cool shit out being used on the trail, on the track, etc.

I agree, wagons are the shit. But that ship sailed a few years back. Most are bringing $20k these days.

Something like this is kinda what I'm thinking. 66 Star Chief Executive. $5k. It has a 389 with no compression on cyl 7. Cam whiped a lobe. So figure pull the engine down, toss in a cam and valve train, have a machine shop do the heads, balance the rotating assembly and go back with bearings and rings. Keep as much factory as possible. Add a 4 barrel intake and carb. Keep it basically stock beyond that.

It's been garage kept its whole life. It has great timelessness. It's well built and hand assembled, plus the colors are good.

Two too many doors on that, You would probably break even or loose money.
I would give 5 K for it and DD it as long as the AC worked.

78-79 ford Broncos and pickups have goon up tons in the last few years, but not everyone has gotten the memo. Broncos in general have gone up a bunch. People are asking 10K for a 200K mile clapped out mid 90s bronco with a beat interior.

99 3000GTs If you can find one would be a good investment.
In my opinion once the Mitsubishi 3000s go way up the Dodge stealth's will be next, good luck finding one that's not modified and ruined.

I like the boats, but there will never be broad appeal for the smog era cars, unless it's something like the Trans ams with the movie connection.

The special edition cars will always hold value in a desireable model.

wagons are cool, 4 doors are cool.

The top end might still be dropping, but the cheap stuff is going up.

I was happy to buy my early 90's buick for 2 grand though it seemed high, instead of getting a rental car for a month. just kind of happened in to selling it to a kid for $2k and he couldn't give me the money fast enough, somebody walking past stopped and even commented that it was a killer deal.

caught me off guard, but just pressure on the cheap and decent car market

The thing I meant but didn't say - you have to be right on the pulse of the market for big money. Miss it by a month and you lose.

The thing I meant but didn't say - you have to be right on the pulse of the market for big money. Miss it by a month and you lose.

I'm just trying to find a depressed market to get a little enjoyment out of. I agree with a lot of what ProjectJunkie says. I think the next few years sees the price of a lot of classics going down in value, adjusted for inflation. It will be a good opportunity for people to pick up deals. I guess my perspective is that there will be a lot of fire sales going no bid because cash will be king. Making the most bottom of the barrel cars more appealing despite to value availabilitie for the sheer price points.

Like the XJ beater that got more popular post the 08 crash.

I'm looking for something that will hold its value adjusted for inflation through the coming years and ultimately gain value after the depression.

Maybe I'm crazy. I just look at the market and see these big beautiful cars with zero love from collectors and think they hold a tone of real value from a logical standpoint. They are simple, they are well made. They have timeless style and they are infinitely more usable than your average collectable.

To me, I have this idea that some hard times will cause people to reevaluate their lives and their perspectives on what makes something cool. Is it just nostalgia (what was cool) or does it shift to what's sustainable and good for their bottom line? Because if it does shift, a big body 4 door car starts to check boxes.

Does that reasoning make any sense to anyone else? Or am I just projecting too much?

Last edited:
Fuck all the buy low sell high assholes. I like old cars and trucks and working on them myself. I was forced by circumstances to offload a lot of cool shit and by the time I mostly got done I was scrapping stuff rather than deal with assholes. Luckily most of it was when scrap paid well. The last thing I think about is what I'll sell something for and the reality that I cant avoid it forever pretty much sucks. :flipoff2:

This car is the wrong color, and the vinyl top might be too close to turning shit. But I like it and I think it represents what what I'm hypothesizing pretty closely. I'd hold out for something better obviously, but for argument's sake I think we can use it as an example.

Screenshot_20200611-133258_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200611-133323_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200611-133310_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200611-133329_Facebook.jpg

Thanks, I've stayed out of it. I've never felt like it was mine, in spite of wife's efforts. I also wanted no input of the sale, and don't want to profit off of it in any way. Hard to explain.

One things for sure... the time to sell it was 8-10 years ago. Nobody wants old street rods anymore. Those guys are all dying off. The "new old guys" are building 70's-80's trucks.

I’m under 30 and would love a clean, or hell even a project street rod that was a driver. I’d prefer a sedan model over a coupe. Something to go on date night or run to the store in, go cruise. It’s the stuff I grew up walking around car shows with my dad, so maybe that’s where my interest is. My uncle is still building 32s and the like. I think I’d really like a 49 to 50 ish merc as well.

Top Back Refresh