What's new

Class A Ford V10

I think that a WD hitch may put a load on the frame extension that it is not designed for.
If it was a C with an extension I could totally see that but since its a straight rail purpose built chassis I don't see it as being a big deal.

Actually just found the ford chassis manual for mine and it even mentions it. Wonder if that's some sort of CYA from the upfitter?

Hitches You must distribute the load in your trailer so that 10 – 15% of the total weight of the trailer is on the tongue. Load equalizing hitch When hooking up a trailer using a load equalizing hitch, always use the following procedure: 1. Park the unloaded vehicle on a level surface. With the ignition on and all doors closed, allow the vehicle to stand for several minutes so that it can level. 2. Measure the height of a reference point on the front and rear bumpers at the center of the vehicle. 3. Attach the trailer to the vehicle and adjust the hitch equalizers so that the front bumper height is within 0–13 mm (1⁄2 inch) of the reference point. After proper adjustment, the rear bumper should be no higher than in Step 2. Adjusting an equalizing hitch so the rear bumper of the vehicle is lower or higher than it was unloaded will defeat the function

If you don't mind, post the make and model. I would be surprised to see it rated for more than 5k if it's a Class A, and I don't think I've ever seen a gas class A rated for 10k.
Same ford manual I posted above says my engine (6.8) and axle ratio (5.38) is 26k GCWR and up to 10K towing. So I guess it all comes down to what the RV weighs and the distribution on the axles. I'll have to find the upfitters placard to see what it says.

The 8.1 won’t get better mpg than a V10. In fact, they seem to not get better mpg than anything. They do tow well.
This spring I and two friends took a pretty loaded 4wd ('05 I think?) suburban with an 8.1 on about a 2k mi road trip, down through southern NV, AZ, up to UT and back, over about a week and a half. we didn't have a tank hand calculated less than 11mpg, most were between 12 and 13 which my friend who owned it said was pretty typical.

The only time I've ever gotten double digits in my stock '05 superduty was when I filled up in reno, took it easy coming down the mountains, and filed up again in sacramento. got 10.6. Generally my hand calculated cruising mpg is about 9.5, down to 7 if I'm towing and in a hurry.

Is there anything I'm missing, or doing wrong?

This spring I and two friends took a pretty loaded 4wd ('05 I think?) suburban with an 8.1 on about a 2k mi road trip, down through southern NV, AZ, up to UT and back, over about a week and a half. we didn't have a tank hand calculated less than 11mpg, most were between 12 and 13 which my friend who owned it said was pretty typical.

The only time I've ever gotten double digits in my stock '05 superduty was when I filled up in reno, took it easy coming down the mountains, and filed up again in sacramento. got 10.6. Generally my hand calculated cruising mpg is about 9.5, down to 7 if I'm towing and in a hurry.

Is there anything I'm missing, or doing wrong?
No clue. My 05 V10 4x4 xclb got 12 empty unloaded the few times I have driven it without a trailer or 2-4K lbs in the bed. My GM 6.0/5mt got that. My friends dad’s 8.1 truck got 10 everywhere.

I guess different trucks get different mileage. Different drivers, too.

No clue. My 05 V10 4x4 xclb got 12 empty unloaded the few times I have driven it without a trailer or 2-4K lbs in the bed. My GM 6.0/5mt got that. My friends dad’s 8.1 truck got 10 everywhere.

I guess different trucks get different mileage. Different drivers, too.
Lucky bastard :flipoff2: stock 275 tires? what gears? what part of the country are you in? (I'm wondering if CA gas has anything to do with it)

I know there really are so many variables.

If you don't mind, post the make and model. I would be surprised to see it rated for more than 5k if it's a Class A, and I don't think I've ever seen a gas class A rated for 10k.
Yeah it surprised me also as the only ones i typically see are the super C or toterhome style

2005 ford hurricane 30q i believe. I have the build sheet thing that specs all the capacitys. Its faded and old but ill snag a picture of it later on.

IIRC, it is an 04 Thor Hurricane. It might be rated for 6k. Tops.

Ok here is the factory sheet that came with it. The way i read it

Motorhome loaded to capacity i can tow 10,000lbs ish

Motorhome empty i can tow 13kish

Attachments

• 20210908_153713.jpg
    20210908_153713.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
Ok here is the factory sheet that came with it. The way i read it

Motorhome loaded to capacity i can tow 10,000lbs ish

Motorhome empty i can tow 13kish
That's how I read it, too. Do keep in mind to be strictly legal, the tongue weight comes out of your Cargo Carrying Capacity. And you'll likely be overweight on the rear axle with a trailer. The overhangs are so long that, at least on my old class C, 650 lbs of tongue weight yielded I think 1200lbs of additional rear axle weight, and pulled 550 lbs off the front axle.

Also keep in mind the hitch and frame extension limitations, but I'm sure you'd beef that up before you tried pulling heavy. They're likely rated to 5k (unless I'm wrong about it again--you definitely showed me something I wasn't expecting on the GCWR and GVWR).

From what i can tell there is no frame extension. It looks much more like a medium duty chassis with a straight frame. I believe it is a f53? Chassis

I could easily see a larger motorhome with slides and such weighing a lot more and reducing the towing capacity but this one is a stripped down, no slides, pretty basic 30'

Thats one nice thing about my bigger trailer... its pretty easy to adjust the toung weight being that i have 8+' of deck not being used
That's how I read it, too. Do keep in mind to be strictly legal, the tongue weight comes out of your Cargo Carrying Capacity. And you'll likely be overweight on the rear axle with a trailer. The overhangs are so long that, at least on my old class C, 650 lbs of tongue weight yielded I think 1200lbs of additional rear axle weight, and pulled 550 lbs off the front axle.

Also keep in mind the hitch and frame extension limitations, but I'm sure you'd beef that up before you tried pulling heavy. They're likely rated to 5k (unless I'm wrong about it again--you definitely showed me something I wasn't expecting on the GCWR and GVWrw

From what i can tell there is no frame extension. It looks much more like a medium duty chassis with a straight frame. I believe it is a f53? Chassis

I could easily see a larger motorhome with slides and such weighing a lot more and reducing the towing capacity but this one is a stripped down, no slides, pretty basic 30'

Thats one nice thing about my bigger trailer... its pretty easy to adjust the toung weight being that i have 8+' of deck not being used
Shouldn't be any extensions, my F53 is straight frame all the way back. Regardless of gcvw it looks like ford caps the towing capacity at 10k from everything I've found so far in my afternoon of surfing google while "working"

f53.jpg

Seems like that would be a pretty big fuckup on a manufacturer to up-rate something by 30%
Shouldn't be any extensions, my F53 is straight frame all the way back. Regardless of gcvw it looks like ford caps the towing capacity at 10k from everything I've found so far in my afternoon of surfing google while "working"

f53.jpg

Yeah it surprised me also as the only ones i typically see are the super C or toterhome style

2005 ford hurricane 30q i believe. I have the build sheet thing that specs all the capacitys. Its faded and old but ill snag a picture of it later on.
The picture isn’t working but I suspect I am way overestimating the weight of the MH if I am wrong. It would be great if I am wrong, I have been looking at motorhomes and their low tow capacity is one of the things bothering me.

Seems like that would be a pretty big fuckup on a manufacturer to up-rate something by 30%
I'm just going off the factory ford F53 manual for the 10k max number.

I just looked at the placard in mine and it's the complete opposite. GVWR of 20500 and doesn't even give a GCWR number. Wonder why what I assume is the same chassis would have a different GVWR.

I'm just going off the factory ford F53 manual for the 10k max number.

I just looked at the placard in mine and it's the complete opposite. GVWR of 20500 and doesn't even give a GCWR number. Wonder why what I assume is the same chassis would have a different GVWR.
You can order f53 chassis from ford rated anywhere from 16k-26k

The picture isn’t working but I suspect I am way overestimating the weight of the MH if I am wrong. It would be great if I am wrong, I have been looking at motorhomes and their low tow capacity is one of the things bothering me.
20210908_185429.jpg

Yep, you spoke like it was fact, even stating the model.... and you were only off by a little over 100% :flipoff2:

Want to buy it?

Last edited:
Reactions: DMG
You can order f53 chassis from ford rated anywhere from 16k-26k
I didn’t know that, assumed they just cranked them all out identically for the rv market. The f59 obviously they do custom builds since it’s a commercial chassis. What’s the difference, just springs and possibly gear ratio?

I’ve been around the commercial upfitting market to the tune of a 20mil a year business my parents owns but I’m fairly tarded in the rv sector obviously.

20210908_185429.jpg

Yep, you spoke like it was fact, even stating the model.... and you were only off by a little over 100% :flipoff2:

Want to buy it?

I looked into it when you first posted about it and got a way lower number. Not sure why. Maybe I tried doing math. I remember thinking the hitch would be rated for 8k and the MH for 5k or 6k.

How much? Before or after you BDL it? :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Id have to get 15 for it. Most of the little shit is all fixed bit overall its pretty beat. Like a 9/10 mechanically but a 4/10 on wear/tear
I looked into it when you first posted about it and got a way lower number. Not sure why. Maybe I tried doing math. I remember thinking the hitch would be rated for 8k and the MH for 5k or 6k.

How much? Before or after you BDL it?

Well bettys boops bang bang bus started idling like someone snuck in a pair of 15/16 race cams in it. Smells fuckin rich! Pulled codes say both o2's l&r stuck on lean. 07 6.8 60k miles. Popping the hood I swear I hear a vacuum leak but don't have time to fuck with it yet, runs "fine" at all other rpms just barely idles.

For the stupid question, do electronic throttle bodies respond differently to vacuum leaks than mechanical?

Id have to get 15 for it. Most of the little shit is all fixed bit overall its pretty beat. Like a 9/10 mechanically but a 4/10 on wear/tear
That ain’t bad. Let me see what I get for the tundra I am flipping.

Well bettys boops bang bang bus started idling like someone snuck in a pair of 15/16 race cams in it. Smells fuckin rich! Pulled codes say both o2's l&r stuck on lean. 07 6.8 60k miles. Popping the hood I swear I hear a vacuum leak but don't have time to fuck with it yet, runs "fine" at all other rpms just barely idles.

For the stupid question, do electronic throttle bodies respond differently to vacuum leaks than mechanical?

Check the PCV valve tube that goes upto the throttle body. They crack and leak and do exactly what you're describing.

My '00 has another larger tube off the air intake that I think is for AIC. Pulling it off makes mine not want to idle at all.

Top Back Refresh