What's new

Class A Ford V10

Thanks for the update,

I'm perfectly happy with the truck and the V10, but I think if I had it all to do over again I'd have held out for a GM platform with an 8.1, as they seem to get consistently better mpg, and I haven't found any significant dislikes/deal breakers in the ones I've driven.
The 8.1 is great but I didn’t like the rest of the truck.

About to get this for my 00 6.8

I used the 30$ shit from advance for one plug on a 2001 5.4 at around 220k miles shits been parked for 3 years but it has 311k on it. When I changed the plugs at 270k the insert came out lol just screwed it back in.

The ford has a dana 60 up front.

correct, I was mostly referring to the e450 I drove. I’m sure there are gm cutaway van bus things. But I’m not interested in typical ifs on a truck like vehicle.

you buy an old enough P-chassis and they got a beam axle on leaf springs
think it was sometime in the '70s?

Depends on if the person riding on top of it has to do the maintenance and/or pay for keeping it in running shape. :laughing:

All the lazy hacks driving Chevy's on the company dime hate on the TIB.

you buy an old enough P-chassis and they got a beam axle on leaf springs
think it was sometime in the '70s?
If solid axle is what you want a E450/E550 has that in a much more modern package.

Surely you've seen one of the half dozen threads where all the people who don't have to deal with ownership costs and hassle screech about about tire on the swing axles and how much better their Chevy IFS rides.

Finally did a real trip in the '00 V10 last weekend. 700 miles and 7mpg through half mountains half rolling hill/flat as fast as I wanted to get there. Cruises at 75 comfortably and I could easily keep it over 65 on the steepest grades if I wanted to listen to it sing. No complaints

Finally did a real trip in the '00 V10 last weekend. 700 miles and 7mpg through half mountains half rolling hill/flat as fast as I wanted to get there. Cruises at 75 comfortably and I could easily keep it over 65 on the steepest grades if I wanted to listen to it sing. No complaints
I picked up a clean, low mileage-ish 02. Stock 3.73s. Did Gibson headers when I did the studs/gaskets, SPD y-pipe, and 5 star tune. Woke it up. Thinking of 4.30 or 4.56 gears. Not sure though, I don't tow super heavy. Mild cj on open deck trailer, rebuilt truck camper thats about 1500. No complaints either, especially since the mods. What gears you have?

2000 class A,V10, 34k miles. Been flat towing my 6k lb crawler over 3k miles. Total weight is right about 26k lbs.Just downshift early and let it rev. Currently has 5.38 gears, looking to possibly go to 6.14 or 6.38. overall fairly happy with it.
KIMG3874.JPG

spent way too much time seriously considering a 2017 V10 36' class A to live in for the next couple years rather than buying a house :homer: biggest downside is no garage :laughing:

anybody have any use with the V10 with the newer 6 speed auto's in them? won't make a difference during highway cruise, but sure seems like it would make the thing better to drive everywhere else :homer:

Going to try towing a solid 10k with my 32ft v10 on Thursday. Only 40 miles or so 1 way to our local wheeling spot but the road has some steep twisty sections where you are basically all the way into the gas or all the way out.

Ours has the 6 speed. No complaints at all. We’ve put like 30-40k miles on ours in 2 years (lots of racing travel) I wouldn’t want to live in our class A full time. We spend like 75-100 days a year in it and every trip we’re glad to come back home to our real house lol.

Going to try towing a solid 10k with my 32ft v10 on Thursday. Only 40 miles or so 1 way to our local wheeling spot but the road has some steep twisty sections where you are basically all the way into the gas or all the way out.
Do you have a brake controller installed and a weight distribution hitch? Very very highly suggest both things. If you do you’ll have no problem towing 10k

Motorhomes don’t come factory with brake controllers. Trust me you’ll want one. Weight distribution hitches make a BIG difference too, and push the weight up into the frame instead of just pulling down and away.

Reactions: DMG
Motorhomes don’t come factory with brake controllers. Trust me you’ll want one. Weight distribution hitches make a BIG difference too, and push the weight up into the frame instead of just pulling down and away.

Im sure ill end up wanting all that stuff bit this is kinda a trial run to see how bad it is. Im also going to be using my heavy ass 24' equipment trailer which isnt idea either

Im sure ill end up wanting all that stuff bit this is kinda a trial run to see how bad it is. Im also going to be using my heavy ass 24' equipment trailer which isnt idea either
I would get a brake control before towing 10k with your mh

I would get a brake control before towing 10k with your mh
I agree that would probably be the smart thing to do... but im not going far and have no long grades to really worry about. Plus if it doesnt already have one i dont have time anyhow.

I agree that would probably be the smart thing to do... but im not going far and have no long grades to really worry about. Plus if it doesnt already have one i dont have time anyhow.
5 minutes at Walmart or your favorite auto parts store should get you a brake controller and a plug-in cable that will let you just plug it in, no splicing required...

Aaron Z

You would melt the brakes off the MH and crash in my area. 10k is a lot to tow with a vehicle that is usually towards the upper end of gvw empty.

there is probably a pigtail under the dash for it.

You would melt the brakes off the MH and crash in my area. 10k is a lot to tow with a vehicle that is usually towards the upper end of gvw empty.

there is probably a pigtail under the dash for it.
The chassis is rated to tow 10,700 i believe.
Obviously if i take off and everything seems bad plans will change. 3/4 of he trip is om secondary roads and most people also forget we have a 55mph max tow speed in ca on the highway.

The chassis is rated to tow 10,700 i believe.
Obviously if i take off and everything seems bad plans will change. 3/4 of he trip is om secondary roads and most people also forget we have a 55mph max tow speed in ca on the highway.

If you don't mind, post the make and model. I would be surprised to see it rated for more than 5k if it's a Class A, and I don't think I've ever seen a gas class A rated for 10k.

Do you have a brake controller installed and a weight distribution hitch? Very very highly suggest both things. If you do you’ll have no problem towing 10k
The receiver on mine has a sticker right on it that says not compatible with weight distributing hitches which I thought was weird, but I haven't looked further into it. It doesn't have a huge rear overhang like many seem to and came with airbags so even if there is a logical reason it might not be too big of a deal.

The receiver on mine has a sticker right on it that says not compatible with weight distributing hitches which I thought was weird, but I haven't looked further into it. It doesn't have a huge rear overhang like many seem to and came with airbags so even if there is a logical reason it might not be too big of a deal.
I think that a WD hitch may put a load on the frame extension that it is not designed for.

Thanks for the update,

I'm perfectly happy with the truck and the V10, but I think if I had it all to do over again I'd have held out for a GM platform with an 8.1, as they seem to get consistently better mpg, and I haven't found any significant dislikes/deal breakers in the ones I've driven.
The 8.1 won’t get better mpg than a V10. In fact, they seem to not get better mpg than anything. They do tow well.

If you don't mind, post the make and model. I would be surprised to see it rated for more than 5k if it's a Class A, and I don't think I've ever seen a gas class A rated for 10k.
IIRC, it is an 04 Thor Hurricane. It might be rated for 6k. Tops.

Top Back Refresh