What's new

Class A Ford V10

yup, running against manifold vacuum is a pretty significant amount of load
swhy they'll go to such crazy lengths to eliminate manifold vacuum on gas engines
ever seen inside one of them BMW mini cooper motors where they got the linkage that varies the intake valve lift rather than throttling with manifold vacuum?
No I haven’t, but the vacuum reservoir “fell off” the excursion and the hvac defaults to defrost when I lean on the throttle.

yup, running against manifold vacuum is a pretty significant amount of load
swhy they'll go to such crazy lengths to eliminate manifold vacuum on gas engines
ever seen inside one of them BMW mini cooper motors where they got the linkage that varies the intake valve lift rather than throttling with manifold vacuum?
I own one and I'm not entirely sure it's even needed, but I'm sure it does kraut space magic shit in there.

It's a real PITA to diagnose when it stops working properly.
There's a butterfly in the throttle body for backup if it sticks open. Basically the BMW equivalent of a suicide flap on a diesel.

Truth right there. I set the cruise on my 3v 6.8 in the hill with 10k behind it. Keep it full of the right oil and don’t worry about fuel economy.

Truth right there. I set the cruise on my 3v 6.8 in the hill with 10k behind it. Keep it full of the right oil and don’t worry about fuel economy.
I too have a 3v, I've never driven or towed with a 2v to compare it to, but I really don't have any complaints on power.

Any idea what mileage you're getting in I-don't-care mode? I only ask because I drive like an old lady and it doesn't seem to help economy, so I'm wondering if I should just say fuckit and have fun.

I too have a 3v, I've never driven or towed with a 2v to compare it to, but I really don't have any complaints on power.

Any idea what mileage you're getting in I-don't-care mode? I only ask because I drive like an old lady and it doesn't seem to help economy, so I'm wondering if I should just say fuckit and have fun.
Probably 8-10. I am towing a large car to Detroit this weekend for the Gambler so I will try to do the math and see fir sure. I have a tune and headers fwiw.

Reactions: fvs
Vehicle in video, 07 e450 it should be a 2v even though it’s an 07 the other 6.8 I have experience with is an 01 with the 4r1oo in an excursion and seems to run out of breath at 4K ripem’s. Was crawling under it once I got it back to the shop, it has bigger down pipes from the manifolds and doesn’t have that choke point y pipe shit the early ones have. I figure its 10k lbs empty. Will See how it does with 10,000 lbs of shit in it. Excursion lie o meter is stuck on 11.7 but when I reset it on the trip in va pulling a 8k trailer with 3k of shit in the excursion it averaged 8 with no fucks given to the engines “feelings” 7F428500-7FD0-44A1-8F62-41004F07DE3C.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey kid, get in the van.

Gonna gut the back and pretend to be an RV so you don't gotta stop at weigh stations?
Been something I've thought about for a long while. Well, before RVs started going for stuuupid fucking money
ETA: oh that's a bus version, I assumed RV from the thread title
Guess it'd work with bus plates too, just gotta tint the fuck outta the windows

Hey kid, get in the van.

Gonna gut the back and pretend to be an RV so you don't gotta stop at weigh stations?
Been something I've thought about for a long while. Well, before RVs started going for stuuupid fucking money
It's a former jesus bus, betty boops jesus bus at that:lmao: plan is paint the windows black from the inside, pull most of the seats, put in a comfy air ride captains chair, add cruise control, (so uh hey buuuuuddddy gimmie dat info:flipoff2:) It has an 800lb capacity wheelchair lift perfect for 55gal drums. stay on the lookout for 19.5's. fix the leak that drips right on my left knee :rolleyes: Charge the ac, Miss Betty said it worked, It doesn't, :rolleyes: I poured the gal of coolant that was in the bus in the reservoir added three more gallons of water when I picked it up and one more when I got to the shop.:confused: Change the trans fluid, filters and the rusty ass pan. oil and filter, replace the busted exhaust manifold studs, further inspect trans cooler lines, find out what that horrible squealing noise is when throttle is applied. It's going to Coloraydo end of this month. So I might get the windows blacked out, fluids & filters changed by then :laughing:

Oh and fuck weigh stations.:mad3: fuel check stations:mad3: and ag check stations.:mad3: Back when I ran BDL's in the F650 I would drive an hour out of my way just to avoid them, drive right past when traffic was heavy and use the truckerpath app to see which ones were closed. Took some scenic route down some crazy switchback mountain road in an NPR grossing 27k, had the rotors glowing the caliper piston dust seals on fire fucked up the park brake real good:lmao: didn't crash, took about ten min to calm my nerves though:eek:

It's a former jesus bus, betty boops jesus bus at that:lmao: plan is paint the windows black from the inside, pull most of the seats, put in a comfy air ride captains chair, add cruise control, (so uh hey buuuuuddddy gimmie dat info:flipoff2:) It has an 800lb capacity wheelchair lift perfect for 55gal drums. stay on the lookout for 19.5's. fix the leak that drips right on my left knee :rolleyes: Charge the ac, Miss Betty said it worked, It doesn't, :rolleyes: I poured the gal of coolant that was in the bus in the reservoir added three more gallons of water when I picked it up and one more when I got to the shop.:confused: Change the trans fluid, filters and the rusty ass pan. oil and filter, replace the busted exhaust manifold studs, further inspect trans cooler lines, find out what that horrible squealing noise is when throttle is applied. It's going to Coloraydo end of this month. So I might get the windows blacked out, fluids & filters changed by then :laughing:

Oh and fuck weigh stations.:mad3: fuel check stations:mad3: and ag check stations.:mad3: Back when I ran BDL's in the F650 I would drive an hour out of my way just to avoid them, drive right past when traffic was heavy and use the truckerpath app to see which ones were closed. Took some scenic route down some crazy switchback mountain road in an NPR grossing 27k, had the rotors glowing the caliper piston dust seals on fire fucked up the park brake real good:lmao: didn't crash, took about ten min to calm my nerves though:eek:
lol the one that I cross all the time (just south of columbus mn) has the lights up so you can just barely see them in time to get off before you're stuck going past it
the other one (just north of carlton mn) has a really cool twisty road through jay cooke state park if you bypass it, that one has a sign that says you're "required" not to exit, but there's a city on that exit so what the fuck officer I was going this way the whole time, see.
Really neat road, with waterfalls and shit, worth the extra half hour

been thinking about welding up a "special" filler neck that is just a closed end pipe that goes into the tank so it is the right depth, but it's its own sealed chamber so that I can have a quart of the normal green-yellow biodiesel slime in there for them to check if they ever decide to check. Fill the tank with waste ATF through the vent grommet hole or whatever.

the cruise control stuff, check on the left fender by the cowl to see if ... fuck that's not a pickup cab, check wherever the fuck they put the cruise module to see if its got the wires
if it does, just grab a junkyard cruise box from a similar year thing and jam it in there
grab the steering wheel too, it uses the horn wires for the cruise buttons, so maybe grab the clockspring too while you're there

Well, that was all an impressive pile of jibberish. Well done, everyone. I get about 8 in my class C towing a small trailer. 7 towing a larger one. Aero is garbage on my setup, so a class A with a similar transmission would probably do a bit better.

Oh, and for my 2-valve--the answer is floor it and ignore the noises. 4.56 gears, 31.xx" tires FTMFW!!

Check the coolant and ac lines going to the back if it has rear HVAC (I assume it does).
On the Econolines and Eseries Vans those are notorious for rusting/corroding and leaking.

Aaron Z

not very relevant as ours is a much newer V10 (30' 2016 Coachman Pursuit) but we've put almost 40,000 miles on it in the last 2 years racing Ultra4 and Renegades/Dirt Riot. With the Comanche, spares, and enclosed 26' trailer we're somewhere around 11-12k lbs towing and the v10 doesn't care at all. MPG is the same regardless of towing or not at 6 mpg but we do cruise at 70 mph everywhere. Only place its really struggled was the last stretch of hills before you turn onto the road that takes you to Hammertown and in West Virginia. The trick IMO is to have the momentum up as much as possible before the hill, if you're going 50-55 you're fawked and going to slow all the way down to 30 something.

Good info/firsthand experience. What’s the tow rating on your V10? Did you do any reinforcements/upgrades to the hitch for that kind of weight?

Good info/firsthand experience. What’s the tow rating on your V10? Did you do any reinforcements/upgrades to the hitch for that kind of weight?
Tow rating is 5k. We use a blue ox weight distribution hitch and it works perfectly. I’ve yet to do anything to the frame but I do inspect it often. Our particular MH has a very short frame extension which is what I was looking for when we were shopping for MHs. Pretty much anything longer than 30’ will have a long frame extension which is where things get squirrelly.

Hey kid, get in the van.

good luck with that.

I got pulled over by the dot revenuers in a box truck plated as an RV with fucking windows and doors cut into the side of it. Twice.

Probably 8-10. I am towing a large car to Detroit this weekend for the Gambler so I will try to do the math and see fir sure. I have a tune and headers fwiw.
Man I'd really love to hear a follow up on how you do on that trip,

What tune/tuner do you have, and how do you like it? Do you find that headers really make any kind of a difference on these engines?

Headers make no difference I can tell on the 3V. Tune Is a pretty mild 87 octane tune from 5 star but it really woke it up.

good luck with that.

I got pulled over by the dot revenuers in a box truck plated as an RV with fucking windows and doors cut into the side of it. Twice.
Well all they have to do is look in the big entrance door and they will see a sink, bed & mini kitchen area. “Toy hauler” section will be walled off.

Tow rating is 5k. We use a blue ox weight distribution hitch and it works perfectly. I’ve yet to do anything to the frame but I do inspect it often. Our particular MH has a very short frame extension which is what I was looking for when we were shopping for MHs. Pretty much anything longer than 30’ will have a long frame extension which is where things get squirrelly.
Thanks for the detailed response and may take a closer look at everything at the June Ultra4 race in Tennessee.

Well all they have to do is look in the big entrance door and they will see a sink, bed & mini kitchen area. “Toy hauler” section will be walled off.
you still spend 20 minutes on the side of the road.

cause procedure.

This might not be quite the right thread for talking trucks, but I thought i'd update with some numbers. Took this combo from the bay area out to Winnemucca NV and back over the weekend. I wanted to see how bad it could do, so I filled up in Sacramento and hauled ass all the way up over Donner pass, and filled up in Reno. 6.8mpg hand calculated. On the way back I babied it, set the cruise at 60 all the way back to CA, and kept it around 50-55 through what climbs there were coming over the mountains. 8.9mpg for that leg.

'05 3v, 285 tires and 4.10 gears. quads on trailer are probably 2k lbs, camper is probably another 2.5k. I love the transmission in this truck compared to the E4OD in my last one. Still, I wish I could get better mileage driving it easier. Has anyone had any experience with fuel economy tunes? I know 5star has some,

Truck camper quads.jpg

This might not be quite the right thread for talking trucks, but I thought i'd update with some numbers. Took this combo from the bay area out to Winnemucca NV and back over the weekend. I wanted to see how bad it could do, so I filled up in Sacramento and hauled ass all the way up over Donner pass, and filled up in Reno. 6.8mpg hand calculated. On the way back I babied it, set the cruise at 60 all the way back to CA, and kept it around 50-55 through what climbs there were coming over the mountains. 8.9mpg for that leg.

'05 3v, 285 tires and 4.10 gears. quads on trailer are probably 2k lbs, camper is probably another 2.5k. I love the transmission in this truck compared to the E4OD in my last one. Still, I wish I could get better mileage driving it easier. Has anyone had any experience with fuel economy tunes? I know 5star has some,

Truck camper quads.jpg
T
I never reported back to this thread but got back from the vt to co to la back to to vt trip a few weeks ago. 5621 miles in an 07 e450 bus with no fucking ac! Can’t believe sweet Betty lied about that:laughing: I maybe squeezed 9mpg out of it for one tank after co but I was kissing the 86 mph speed limiter much of the time getting around 6mpg. Haven’t loaded it down yet or scaled it still figure it was under gvrw.

Just drove an 04 30' v10 home 800ish miles. Love it and not a slouch at all. Cruise controll at 65 the whole way and dint bog down on hills.
I keep thinking about buying one of those. Please update or start a thread.

I keep thinking about buying one of those. Please update or start a thread.
What would you like to know? It runs and drives great and looks decent. The rest of the motorhome is a falling apart rattling piece of shit. Every cabinet door/ piece of panneling/ outlet/ trim/ everything needs attention. The pilot light in the water heater wont stay lit, and the generator only starts 1/100 trys..... but i got it for $12k with 35k miles.... so im ok with the work it needs

Attachments

• 20210625_185353.jpg
    20210625_185353.jpg
    965.8 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: DMG
I never reported back to this thread but got back from the vt to co to la back to to vt trip a few weeks ago. 5621 miles in an 07 e450 bus with no fucking ac! Can’t believe sweet Betty lied about that:laughing: I maybe squeezed 9mpg out of it for one tank after co but I was kissing the 86 mph speed limiter much of the time getting around 6mpg. Haven’t loaded it down yet or scaled it still figure it was under gvrw.
Thanks for the update,

I'm perfectly happy with the truck and the V10, but I think if I had it all to do over again I'd have held out for a GM platform with an 8.1, as they seem to get consistently better mpg, and I haven't found any significant dislikes/deal breakers in the ones I've driven.

Top Back Refresh