What's new

Chainsaws.

Byro

Lurkin’
Member Number
Loc
East Canton, OH
Looking for a new chainsaw, what does Irate have to say?

Have a bunch of dead standing ash and locust on the property that would go great in the wood burner. I have a Husky Rancher 455 that is quite possibly the biggest POS I’ve ever owned, been through it numerous times, new carb kit fuel lines, still barely runs, and when it does barely oils.

Pretty damn impressed with my new cordless. Buy whatever flavor tools and battereys you have and enjoy not having to start or listen to it. I have 6 5amp battereys and cant wear through them in 8 hours of limbing, cutting, ect. Usually go through 4 in an average day of trimming

I've always ended up with garbage homeowner saws that people give me when they need fuel lines

fix the shit you've got, look into the oiling system, probably a bad line or poop in there

you do know that the starting point on the carb screws is 1 turn out, right?
Like half of them I get are from car mechanics and they've generally got both screws backed multiple turns out and the idle screw jammed way in.

I havent gone wrong with Stihl stuff, but all my saws are the commercial/professional level.
Husky makes a decent saw, you might think about taking it to a saw shop and having someone who knows them well fix it for you.

I've been happy with my used Husky 346xp which I think is the "professional" version of yours.

If you are the guy going through it, maybe take it to a shop that may know what they are doing:homer::flipoff2:... probably will be much cheaper than the $200++ you are going to spend for a different one.

This is my though as well. If the saw has compression and you keep going through the carb and fuel system. Either the exhaust has a hidden plug, possible but highly doubtful, or you have the carb adjustment fucked up. My 36 year old 70CC echo still fires cold on the 4th pull and I run her a touch rich because I run her WFO in a CSM.

I've been happy with my used Husky 346xp which I think is the "professional" version of yours.

If you are the guy going through it, maybe take it to a shop that may know what they are doing:homer::flipoff2:... probably will be much cheaper than the $200++ you are going to spend for a different one.

Does yours have the direct air injection or whatever they call it? I’m not sold on that whole system honestly. A re-invent the wheel type approach to the simplest ICE engine it seems.

Does yours have the direct air injection or whatever they call it? I’m not sold on that whole system honestly. A re-invent the wheel type approach to the simplest ICE engine it seems.

Sadly, I don't have any idea... I'm a casual user. My quick search shows it was introduced 2012 so I'd guess it predates direct air injection.

I still paid close to $300 for a used one almost 2 years ago.

I've one as old as my son and at 26yrs old it Stihl kicks ass...

My dad got the one I have in the 80’s. He used to cut a shitload of wood with it. I don’t use it as much as he did, but it still works great.

The name brand saws are so close nowadays that a good dealer is more important than the saw. I run stihls and like them but that's because huskys are pretty new here and I don't think I know of an echo or jonsered dealer. Pro saws are nice but spendy and unnecessary for most people. Grab whatever says farmboss on it and you'll be good for life

Or find and old saw to hot rod a bit and then catch the saw bug. My go to is an old 028 av super that I've gone through. I like mean little saws that don't kill your back after a day

Cheapest Stihl or Husqvarna that comes stock with a bar long enough to cut everything in one swipe. If that means fixing the Rancher, then fix the Rancher.

I've got two Husky. 450 and a 372xp. My 450 is a solid unit. I've bucked up I don't know how many cord of wood. Its a brute. Solid unit. Would recommend. Starts every time.

The 372xp is an animal. I only use it for the big honkin' stuff. To use that thing all day would be a workout. Then again, I'm the v.p. of lazy so who knows. Its quite a bit bigger than the 450.

That 450 though. I keep it in the truck box. I'll be using it tomorrow, actually. Great machine.

Stihl 291 with the yellow tab chains and 20" bar. Green tab is anti kick, doesn't cut nearly as well. Had one since 2014 and for 4-5 years cut 6 cords a year. Zero problems.

Go with the Stihl moto mix gas (92 octane). Premixed and no additives. You can leave the gas in the tank with no clogging the carb. Next best is an airport that will sell you mogas (no additives and 92-92 octane).

We got Jewels a 211 in late '19, I gave her some advice, did some research, originally thought she'd want a 171 or maybe a 180, but at the Stihl dealer, hands-on, she decided that the 211 was the saw for her. It's been a great little saw too. I thought the EZ start and tool less chain tension were gimmicks at first, but they've been great features. It's powerful enough for most homeowner and farm stuff, and is super light weight. I've got an early '90s Husqvarna 51 with a 55 jug/piston, and have gotten to where I'll grab her 211 instead of the old 51 when I need to cut something.

I taught Jewels to run a saw, we didn't even fight once, and she took to it like a fish to water. Once she got comfortable, she became a clear cutting machine, it's pretty damn adorable. She's cutting and bucking, and I'm making a big ass pile with the front end loader on the tractor.

Get chaps, and wear them!

fetch?id=238743&d=1608335253.jpg

Stihl 291 with the yellow tab chains and 20" bar. Green tab is anti kick, doesn't cut nearly as well. Had one since 2014 and for 4-5 years cut 6 cords a year. Zero problems.

Go with the Stihl moto mix gas (92 octane). Premixed and no additives. You can leave the gas in the tank with no clogging the carb. Next best is an airport that will sell you mogas (no additives and 92-92 octane).

There is a little gas station in town that sells 90 octane ethanol free and Sunoco leaded 112 right at the pump. I run the 90 non-eth in everything but our daily drivers.

Looking for a new chainsaw, what does Irate have to say?

I have a Husky Rancher 455 that is quite possibly the biggest POS I’ve ever owned, been through it numerous times, new carb kit fuel lines, still barely runs, and when it does barely oils.

That sucks. I've had a 455 rancher for close to 20 years, and it's been my primary saw for most of those. Ported muffler, 24in bar, starts second pull every time. Best saw I've ever owned. It has cut dozens and dozens of cords of wood with never a hiccup.

every chainsaw i ever had, has been high maintenance

have a variety of electric chain saws, I prefer the craftsman..

seriously, during spring break, I will probably make a video.. been in my plans for like 6 months

Husky 395xp. Quit being a fucking vag.

My go to saw. 28" bar with full skip chain. Filed at 35 degrees with the rakers set at .010". Unless I'm doing carpentry with it, then I grab the 192tc. 029 is strapped on the quad at all times. 260 with an 8 tooth sprocket, muffler mod and 16" bar for quick limbing. I'm thinking about tearing that one down again and learning how to port:smokin:

Just bought s sthil 261cm. I wanted one that I could run a 3 ft bar if needed. I priced checked and I couldn't see spending that much money. Since I just routinely use one.

When it comes to saws, pick a brand that has good dealer support if you aren't going to work on itself. Echo is on that good brand list.
If you are only using it once in a while for small stuff realistically the modern battery saws from the big names are really hard to beat.
Ideally, stay away from homeowner saws. Farm/ranch saws like your 455 have a good reputation, but I have never actually ran a 455.
My 70+ saw collection is all pro saws or old enough that the lower grade saw was the pro saw with a different cylinder.
Things like skimpy non adjustable oilers are not things I like.
If it matters, I have been Husky, Stihl, Jonsered and Echo certified in the past.

If something 50ish CC is what you are after, for new, 550XP MK2 or a MS261 Stihl are the way to go. I know in the states you can still get the 261 with a normal carb. Personally I haven't delved I to autotunes yet, so I have no opinion.
MY ported first gen 261 is a fun saw to run
Stay away from the 271, 291 etc. They tend to be pretty heavy for their performance. Same goes with the older 029 etc.
With Stihl, on the MS saws, if the middle number is even it's a pro saw, 0series saws it's the last number. MS460/046 for example

​​​​​Older saws, 346XP, it's brethren the 351 and 353(same cases, different cylinder) are very good choices, the old 55 is a decent saw as well. Not a personal favorite as I am a bit of a snob and have a 254xp as well, but parts are getting scarce for those.
On the Stihl side, the 026/MS260 is a personal favorite, and ported they run VERY well.
My truck saw is heavily ported, base and squish band cut. Normally runs a 16" .325 NK setup, but it currently has a 3/8 20" setup on it.

I tend to build lots of older Huskys on the 162/61/66/266/268/272 chassis, very popular locally.

If you are really bored I can point you towards my Tik-Tok and YouTube and listen to me ramble about mostly older stuff... Lol

Last edited:
Husky 395xp. Quit being a fucking vag.

That is a lot of saw. I have one, I mostly use it for milling.

From what you described the 460 rancher would be plenty. Starts on first pull etc.
372xp if you want to afford it. Great saw.

Stihl is great too, I've just always had and used Huskys.

Interesting that you have so many issues with the rancher. Ive had one for 8 years and ive used it quite a bit. its never given me any trouble.

Top Back Refresh