What's new

Chainsaws.

Had an ad pop up on my Instagram feed the other day for the Blue Stihl saws. Place was called like “Badass chainsaws” or something like that. The site seemed cheap and kinda scammy so I wrote it off as such.

Had an ad pop up on my Instagram feed the other day for the Blue Stihl saws. Place was called like “Badass chainsaws” or something like that. The site seemed cheap and kinda scammy so I wrote it off as such.

I think the blue ones are the china farmtech clones? Some people really like them. Other not so much. I am thinking about building a 880 size clone for a powerhead for my mill.

Get you one of these classics. It's loud and slow, but at least it's heavy!

Seriously tho, my dual battery makita runs circles around this thing. Don't count out the electric ones.

photo47580.jpg

Get you one of these classics. It's loud and slow, but at least it's heavy!

Seriously tho, my dual battery makita runs circles around this thing. Don't count out the electric ones.

Is that the saw from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome?

I think the blue ones are the china farmtech clones? Some people really like them. Other not so much. I am thinking about building a 880 size clone for a powerhead for my mill.

I've built a bunch of the 660 clones now. They are pretty solid. Patiently waiting on the 880 and 3120 kits, mostly just because. My 660 is plenty for my 24" mill.

...I have a Husky Rancher 455 that is quite possibly the biggest POS I’ve ever owned, been through it numerous times, new carb kit fuel lines, still barely runs, and when it does barely oils.

have you ever taken your husky to a saw shop? Tossing ~$100-150 having a pro look over what you have should net you a very decent cutter. It’s not the best thing out there but shouldn’t be a giant POS by any measure.

have you ever taken your husky to a saw shop? Tossing ~$100-150 having a pro look over what you have should net you a very decent cutter. It’s not the best thing out there but shouldn’t be a giant POS by any measure.

Thinking about it my buddy had a farmboss that wouldn't cut for shit. He finally took it back to tge dealer and they said something about a quiet recall of sorts. Had his saw for a few day and now it runs great. Maybe your Husky has a similar type deal. He didnt push for the details but wishes he had now. You should definitely take your saw to a pro shop and dealer would be best if you have one closeish.

Looking for a new chainsaw, what does Irate have to say?

Have a bunch of dead standing ash and locust on the property that would go great in the wood burner. I have a Husky Rancher 455 that is quite possibly the biggest POS I’ve ever owned, been through it numerous times, new carb kit fuel lines, still barely runs, and when it does barely oils.

I have a 455 rancher, other than wanting to rip your arm off when starting it been a good saw, bought it used .

I have a 455 rancher, other than wanting to rip your arm off when starting it been a good saw, bought it used .

I really like having the decompression button on my saws. It makes them much more enjoyable to start.

Anyone have a link to the 880 china kits ?

Gonna go a little against the grain here, I’ve got a poulan 4620 that I’ve had for over a decade and is great for just about everything under a foot or so. Super dependable, always gets the job done. Turns out they’re consumer grade made by husqvarna

but then I got a free unrunning stihl 028 that I got running and has a ton more balls and is a lot more fun, only slightly heavier than the poulan.

Dirt Monkey just dropped this review of the China Stihl copy from Amazon. Supposed to use identical parts that can be interchanged with the name brand stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC1x0H1QRLo

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...8BQVR&linkId=8cf474c6042ea30f705376783e00deca

To each their own, but I do my best to not support China with my $ or encourage IP theft (Their cheap clones of everything). JMO, YMMV.

OP, another satisfied Stihl customer here. I only run canned ethanol free gas in them, except for my 391. There is nowhere "close" that I can run and grab ethanol free gas, but when I make a run that's what I put in the bigger saw. The 180 and pole pruner only get canned gas (Tru Fuel, Stihl, VPracing etc.) The leafblower gets whatever is closes and freshest. The rest gets dumped into the lawn tractor,

My buddy has a rancher that his stepfather bought new in 1994 or 95. Starts every time on the 3rd or 4th pull after sitting all year with rotten gas in the tank. First saw I learned to cut with.

Interesting that you have so many issues with the rancher. Ive had one for 8 years and ive used it quite a bit. its never given me any trouble.

Probably my most abused machine I have on the property. Fires up by the third pull. Every time.

To each their own, but I do my best to not support China with my $ or encourage IP theft (Their cheap clones of everything). JMO, YMMV.

OP, another satisfied Stihl customer here. I only run canned ethanol free gas in them, except for my 391. There is nowhere "close" that I can run and grab ethanol free gas, but when I make a run that's what I put in the bigger saw. The 180 and pole pruner only get canned gas (Tru Fuel, Stihl, VPracing etc.) The leafblower gets whatever is closes and freshest. The rest gets dumped into the lawn tractor,

n 2008, the newest Stihl production facility opened in Qingdao, China. I'm willing to bet they are running off the same production line. Stihl did it to themselves opening a plant in a land that profits off of copying corporate trade secrets.

Same here on the canned gas in 2 smokes.. Started running that a few years ago and it ended all the problems of gas engines that sit for long periods of time. My saw hasn't been run in year and I could go out and fire it on 3 pulls with what's in the tank.

Greenworks 40v cordless electric for the quick stuff. Even cutting it into truck lengths. Husky farm boss or something with 18 inch bar when I am going to process a bunch of wood.

n 2008, the newest Stihl production facility opened in Qingdao, China. I'm willing to bet they are running off the same production line. Stihl did it to themselves opening a plant in a land that profits off of copying corporate trade secrets.

Same here on the canned gas in 2 smokes.. Started running that a few years ago and it ended all the problems of gas engines that sit for long periods of time. My saw hasn't been run in year and I could go out and fire it on 3 pulls with what's in the tank.

Ain't that some shit.

I just bought a husky from baileys online. Have not run it much but seems like a nice saw. No real difference to me over a Stihl

82DFD2FA-5972-41B7-9F08-37DFE20F565A.jpeg

Ethanol blended gas is about the worst thing you can put in a small engine. When it sits in the carb it turns into weird yellow gel, and will almost corrode the aluminum if it sits for too long. Plugs up all the jets, the needle seat for the float nasty stuff.

The trick to keeping a saw in good working condition is cutting up 2-3 bodies oer year. Make sure you dont get any hair in the chain though, fucks it up quick.

​​​​Youre welcome. :flipoff2:

I have a refurbished Poulan 5020 I bought in '17 . Would give me fits starting at times. Switched to canned gas, never a problem starting since. I like my miliwaukee chainsaw, cuts real well.

I think the best thing husky did for profitability was going away from the pro series and making "homeowner" saws...

So if it's at homodepot, it's cheap,
Ever see a logger run those variants?
?wondering why stihl wont stock there?
yes they make entry level shit....

well I will be of no use here :laughing:

038M with 25in bar for smaller stuff
066M with 36in bar when it start to get big
088M with 42in bar when I need lots of cuts in 36" plus wood

Click image for larger version Name:	088 w-42 bar.jpg Views:	0 Size:	725.4 KB ID:	309705

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh