What's new

Carnivore diet?

Wheelin66bronco

Pure Blood
Member Number
Loc
Star Valley, Wyoming
Anyone on a straight carnivore diet? If so, what affects pro and con do you see?
What supplements do you take, if any to make sure you're getting everything you need? Do You eat organ meat? What am I missing?

I'm 43 and been living and dealing with rheumatoid arthritis for going on four years now. I first went down the natural path, vitamin drips, detoxes, ultraviolet blood therapy, allergy tests, and tons of supplements. No luck. Then onto all the drugs the Dr prescribed. Two weekly injections, and two daily pills. I'm over it, gotta figure this out.

I've been doing a ton of research, and have found that thousands of folks have had 80-100% "recovery" simply by cutting out all carbohydrates, sugar, and vegetables. Fuck it, I'm giving it a try for 90 days, but I want to be as healthy as possible, which is why I asked the above questions.

Rheumatoid and crohns are very similar. I eat a very meat heavy diet simply because it seemed to bother me less. I still eat vegetables and breads and such. My diet evolved to this year's before carnivore became a thing. I do not do carnivore. I just eliminated everything (literally) and added things back making note of what caused issues and what didn't.

You have an immune system disorder. Diet won't fix it. It might aggravate your symptoms less but that's a bandaid.

Won't hurt to try, just be realistic with your expectations.

And go see a legitimate doc for the arthritis. There's a shit ton of options. Including pills, like rinvoq. Rinvoq put my crohns into remission for the first time in my life. 20yrs of pain gone. Until the trial ended for me.

I'm on to another trial now that's almost as effective. There's still humira, remicade, stelara...

I'm on the carnivore diet sort of.

Eating only meat will give you the most intense shits of your life.

I eat meat, fruit, cheese, and nuts. I do have cheat days though.

For supplements I take athletic greens once or twice a day, and 2 shots of farmhouse culture gut shot. Once in the morning and once before bed.

The farmhouse culture gut shot is the single biggest improvement to my diet I've ever experienced. It helps aspects of my life never would have thought.

You have an immune system disorder. Diet won't fix it. It might aggravate your symptoms less but that's a bandaid.
So why is there so much data on a carnivore diet "fixing" autoimmune disorders? I can't help but think it's worth a shot.
Won't hurt to try, just be realistic with your expectations.
Totally agree. I've got nothing to lose.
And go see a legitimate doc for the arthritis.
I've been to several rheumatologists, and get the same poke, prod, here take Enbrel, methotrexate, and celebrex.

I'm on the carnivore diet sort of.

Eating only meat will give you the most intense shits of your life.

I eat meat, fruit, cheese, and nuts. I do have cheat days though.

For supplements I take athletic greens once or twice a day, and 2 shots of farmhouse culture gut shot. Once in the morning and once before bed.

The farmhouse culture gut shot is the single biggest improvement to my diet I've ever experienced. It helps aspects of my life never would have thought.

I know when I went Keto, pushing really heavy on the meat end of it, my joint pain in my knees and other joints went away.

I say go for it. Can't hurt to try.

Nightshade vegetables belong to the family of plants with the Latin name Solanaceae.

Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants are all common nightshades. Many are rich sources of nutrients and serve as staple foods for various cultures.

Did not know they were refered to as nightshades.. I eat alot more of those than I do meat

I occasionally do straight carnivore I guess, just coming off a month straight just chicken red meat and eggs. The rest of the time I guess my diet would best be described as paleo. I eat whole vegetables and meats, eggs cheese and lentils. Avocado and Tomato are the only fruits on the menu. I don’t do it because it’s popular, I’ve been living like this for 13 years now.

I despise sugar in any form. As good as fruit is to eat the amount of sugar in it causes me all kinds of issues. I’m not claiming any allergy to anything. I just can’t stand how processed carbohydrates and sugar make me feel.

I occasionally do straight carnivore I guess, just coming off a month straight just chicken red meat and eggs. The rest of the time I guess my diet would best be described as paleo. I eat whole vegetables and meats, eggs cheese and lentils. Avocado and Tomato are the only fruits on the menu. I don’t do it because it’s popular, I’ve been living like this for 13 years now.

I despise sugar in any form. As good as fruit is to eat the amount of sugar in it causes me all kinds of issues. I’m not claiming any allergy to anything. I just can’t stand how processed carbohydrates and sugar make me feel.
funny, chicken is probably what I eat the least of. From what I've read it's the most inflammatory of all meats.

funny, chicken is probably what I eat the least of. From what I've read it's the most inflammatory of all meats.
Smells like guts to me most of the time, so we don't eat much of it.

I was just going to suggest to someone on here they tried carnivore. Weird! :flipoff2:

The explosive shits are tamed by way upping salt and electrolytes. Pick up some of the LMNT ones, Ultima or Redmond Relyte. They're the best I've found.

my buddy and his family have been doing it for 3 years. Before that his wife had all kinds of health issues. She says she feels the best she ever has. It's all I got. I eat meat, fruits, and veggies.

Fuck it, I'm giving it a try for 90 days, but I want to be as healthy as possible, which is why I asked the above questions.

As you can see, different things work for different people. Just experiment around and keep good records, find out what works best for you.
Just make sure to stick with one thing long enough to see results.

Nightshade vegetables belong to the family of plants with the Latin name Solanaceae.

Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants are all common nightshades. Many are rich sources of nutrients and serve as staple foods for various cultures.
The question is do those bother you. The only way to find out is cut them out for awhile.

Carbs and sugar have always made me feel bad. I eat a lot of meat and eggs (a lot of eggs), good fats, and some veggies thrown in here and there (more Kimche or Sauerkrat than anything). For meat, it's red meat mostly, some chicken and little pork. I've always wanted to go 100% carnivore, I'm probably 80% there as is.

Did hard-core keto for almost a year, felt great on that. My triglycerides were lower than the doctor had seen before.

For dairy, it's usually yogurt, kefir, cheeses & whipping cream. The goat dairy products seem to be a lot gentler on my gut.

Anyone on a straight carnivore diet? If so, what affects pro and con do you see?
What supplements do you take, if any to make sure you're getting everything you need? Do You eat organ meat? What am I missing?

I'm 43 and been living and dealing with rheumatoid arthritis for going on four years now. I first went down the natural path, vitamin drips, detoxes, ultraviolet blood therapy, allergy tests, and tons of supplements. No luck. Then onto all the drugs the Dr prescribed. Two weekly injections, and two daily pills. I'm over it, gotta figure this out.

I've been doing a ton of research, and have found that thousands of folks have had 80-100% "recovery" simply by cutting out all carbohydrates, sugar, and vegetables. Fuck it, I'm giving it a try for 90 days, but I want to be as healthy as possible, which is why I asked the above questions.

I have had had my 2 closest friends do it, one started 6 weeks ago. Close, as in our family’s just took a 10 day vacation and lived together, normal for us.

He has reported
- no daily pain at 45, it vanished from his joints on week 2
-lost 17lbs by week 4, and it’s falling off him
  • way, way more energy, like he got up at 2am instead of 5am and was so awake he worked out last week then worked at 6am had a full day and went to bed at his normal time
  • he feels better to the point of him saying I don’t want to go back
The lack of soreness and daily pain he has said is life changing. He has never felt so good 6 weeks in

Friend 2-
-lost 50 lbs over 6 months
- reported way more energy and generally felt awesome
-said his 40 year old aches and pains vanished
He loved it but quit because he wanted variety and it got annoying.

Summary, both people who did it had alarmingly positive results.

Roktoy829 Thanks, yes I've listened to a lot of what Shawn Baker has to say.

Fullsize80cherokee Are you eating once a day? For now I'm planning on two meals.

RusM I've heard good things about LMNT, I'll look at their electrolytes. One of my worries doing this, getting everything my body needs. I don't want to trade one problem for another.

300sniper I quit drinking, but I do miss a good bourbon.

Tech Tim Totally agree, and that's my plan. Only meat for 90 days, then if I feel great, slowly add in things that are good for me and I like. If I could do meat, avocado, nuts, and a little fruit, I'd be pretty damn happy. We eat generally very healthy now, almost all whole foods, but a lot of variety. Very little saturated or hydrogenated oils, or sugar.

Poke Thanks, good motivation for me.

My goals with this are strictly to see if my autoimmune issue is somehow related to something my body doesn't like, that I'm currently eating. One thing that I wonder about and I'll get a a lot of kickback on is the amount of leafy greens I've eaten in my life. I grew up from a small child eating a ton of them daily. My parents had a huge garden, and insisted on a leafy salad every single night. Now from what I'm reading by some of the carnivore proponents is that leafy greens can build up to be a toxicity to the body. Really hard to say, not a ton of proof. But a lot of evidence of feeling better, not eating them.
Second part of this, is I do not need or want to lose any weight. So that may mean a lot more consumption for my body size. I'm 6'4", 220lbs. I do calisthenics daily, and Arial Circus Arts two days/week.

Thanks for all your suggestions and insights, it'll be an interesting journey for at least 90 days.

Stop milk and milk products first.

A meat-only diet is not natural: Look at our closets relatives and how much meat they eat compared to fruits and veggies. Way less than what we consider normal.

If you only eat meat you will probably grow weird things and take up a bunch of antibiotica

My goals with this are strictly to see if my autoimmune issue is somehow related to something my body doesn't like, that I'm currently eating. One thing that I wonder about and I'll get a a lot of kickback on is the amount of leafy greens I've eaten in my life. I grew up from a small child eating a ton of them daily. My parents had a huge garden, and insisted on a leafy salad every single night. Now from what I'm reading by some of the carnivore proponents is that leafy greens can build up to be a toxicity to the body. Really hard to say, not a ton of proof. But a lot of evidence of feeling better, not eating them.
Second part of this, is I do not need or want to lose any weight. So that may mean a lot more consumption for my body size. I'm 6'4", 220lbs. I do calisthenics daily, and Arial Circus Arts two days/week.

Thanks for all your suggestions and insights, it'll be an interesting journey for at least 90 days.
I'm also 6'4 weighed 220 up until a few months ago when I had an injury. I never had any problems maintaining my weight being mostly carnivore.

Top Back Refresh