What's new

Boots! work boots

Those old ones look rebuildable actually.

I've been wearing the whites every day. With some thick ass Fox River socks, they're getting pretty decent. I bought 2 packs (2 pair) of the heavyweight work socks and 1 pack (1 pair) of the extra heavyweight boot and field socks. They were all around $20/pack, so the boot and field were not cheap, but they're nice on a colder day. Definitely would recommend those socks.
Why? The videos I've watched on rebuilding (Nicks, I think), it seemed like they kept the tongue and the insole, and made a new boot around them. I guess if it's a couple hundred cheaper, OK, but at some point it's My Gandfather's Axe.

My crummy Danner Quarries were cheaper new than the $250 re-crafting charge. Even for $500 boots, after 20 years I'd rather get all new...

Why? The videos I've watched on rebuilding (Nicks, I think), it seemed like they kept the tongue and the insole, and made a new boot around them. I guess if it's a couple hundred cheaper, OK, but at some point it's My Gandfather's Axe.

My crummy Danner Quarries were cheaper new than the $250 re-crafting charge. Even for $500 boots, after 20 years I'd rather get all new...

Fair point, I think it used to make more sense. But like anything these days, replacement often makes more sense than rebuild. Sadly.

I used to get Danner quarry's for $160 online. The one resolve I did was ~$100, didn't make much sense at all as the boot was shot before the 2nd sole wore out. They use a shitty mid sole and I would separate them from the outer leather. Still good for the money imo. Although I'd bet you can't get them that price any more.

I'm not totally sure about wescos, but I believe whites can just replace the toe and lower shank area with a new sole obviously. I'd think that would be less than half of new and would be good for a back up pair.

Any of you ever wear these? I need a set of hunting/hiking boots.

I’m on my second pair of them. First pair lasted about 2 1/2 years working commercial construction. The leather started tearing where it meets the midsole.

Old vs New (about 7 months old)
A48DEBAF-20BB-4663-8431-3531075894EA.jpeg

I do mostly restaurant work and spend a lot of time crawling under countertops and equipment, so they started tearing where the boot bends when I’m on my knees.
5C9D5C22-A62A-4430-BF88-52A0325D592E.jpeg

I was going to get them for lighter duty and hiking.
They are heavy IMO for that.

I bought these for what you describe. I really like how light they are.

1651246304402.png

They are heavy IMO for that.

I bought these for what you describe. I really like how light they are.

1651246304402.png

I really want American made shoes for that. Every imported shoe hurts my legs and back.

I hike in size 16 steel toe loggers. :laughing:

maintenance question, first pair of boots higher end than Timberlands

leather treatement? do i do anything? Use the conditioner kit I've got for car seats? Leave it alone? Mainly with the toe area its already looking dry in spots from kicking shit around. I'm an office loser, so they see light work

these:
1651254489787.png

Timberland Pro Resistor. In them 8-10 hours and 10,000+ steps a day. On my second pair in a decade, nothing really wrong with the first pair. I don't do anything special to make them last.

Viberg are the best you can buy where I'm at. That'll be what I do next if these go NLA.

These just showed up:

Holy crap are they comfy. Can’t wait to test them out tomorrow at work. WAY lighter than the Carolina steel toes all day. :laughing:

maintenance question, first pair of boots higher end than Timberlands

leather treatement? do i do anything? Use the conditioner kit I've got for car seats? Leave it alone? Mainly with the toe area its already looking dry in spots from kicking shit around. I'm an office loser, so they see light work

these:
1651254489787.png
I'm a big fan of TuffToe on new boots. It's just about indestructible. Also comes in brown.

steel_toe_work_boots_tuff_toe_black-scaled-600x662.png

61Fk01yUF2L._AC_UY780_.jpg

Toe guards are the superior option. Follow the instructions and they'll last for a couple years then you'll have to shoot some dollar store superglue in there every few months. I can chew through a toe in a day on certain roofs but my toe guards are 3 years old on my everyday boots and still have some meat left

These just showed up:

Holy crap are they comfy. Can’t wait to test them out tomorrow at work. WAY lighter than the Carolina steel toes all day. :laughing:

$210 for those!

Is there any footwear worth buying under $150 anymore? :homer:

MidwestBoots.com is running a spring sale. There are coupon codes on the website, with some excluded brands. Thorogood was excluded from the coupons, so I had to "call for best price" and they gave me a $30 rebate code. The rebate was on the CC before the boots were delivered. They also sent a $30 reward card toward another pair of US made boots.

Since I haven't worn lace-ups in over a decade, I got the wrong size and am in the middle of an exchange. Here's an interweb pic of what I got: Flyway 8" waterproof soft-toe.

de-wp-work-boot-brown-814-4141-thorogood_1024x1024.jpg

Quality? You haven’t experienced quality yet

9B9AFC5D-08D0-43DD-8A34-82F360E64697.jpeg

:flipoff2:

*I have absolutely nothing bad to say about keen, red wing, thorogood, Chippewa, or Carolina other than the overseas origin of many of their products

Well what are those boots? Or do you want me to guess? :flipoff2:

I understand why they out source some. Not everyone wants to drop $200+ on a pair of American made boots.

I'm coming off a broken heel does anyone have to wear orthopedic work boots? My feet tend to hurt anyways and I can't imagine it getting better under my current circumstances.
Talk to a reputable shoemaker?

I don’t know. I’m too afraid to waste $150 on sweatshop made shoes anymore. My old man back and knees need quality. :laughing:
Why cheap out on good footwear? I drop plenty on :usa: shoes so I can enjoy life instead of complaining about back/feet aches. (Ha Ha?) Perhaps visit a shoemaker too?

Right now sporting Chippewa 29516 steel tops & field work is Tingley rubber boots-

Quality? You haven’t experienced quality yet

9B9AFC5D-08D0-43DD-8A34-82F360E64697.jpeg

:flipoff2:

*I have absolutely nothing bad to say about keen, red wing, thorogood, Chippewa, or Carolina other than the overseas origin of many of their products
Nick's? Look a lot like the pair on my feet right. Lol

Tell_sackett nailed it. A pair of nicks hotshots.

:beer:

They are great, but the last pair of them I’ll ever own. After a decade of nicks I’m switching over to Frank’s. Nicks has made a shift in the demographic they are targeting, and I’d rather support a company that is work boot focused over one that is hipster/Instagram focused. The pair of Frank’s I’m breaking in are every bit the boot nicks are. If you set them next to each other and covered up the stamps, you wouldn’t be able to tell them apart.

I don’t know about wearing that big of a heel on a boot. Seems odd.

Top Back Refresh