What's new

Big Dumb Loads

Trailer died by treating the symptoms of a undersized tow rig.
Do tell...
I see a stupid raise ball mount , with a sky hi trailer frame...
Going back to fire up the laptop to get a second look.
This fukkin cannuck couldn't get it up to 50 onna straight flat road...
So maybe....
20190616_093728.jpg

eta see post 6248:flipoff2:

Last edited:
Then trailer frame sux.
Load lever hitches hold up way more than a taco round here...

Oh yea that is a fuktup setup.
I was seeing the short cutoffs on my fone and I thought the a frame just stopped at the front crossmember.
I have little experience towing with a toyota......
I towed my buddies 14' landscape trailer loaded with a light 3 day gold panning site weekend with the big tire taco I had with a 3rz .
We ran up to Taylorsville on a spring day, lets just say
I did it "ONCE" :cool2:
As for the setup in question.....
yea that junk shoulda stayed home

Last edited:
:beer: for getting the "after" pics
And here is the story from the owner that posted the pics:

"I upgraded the entire suspension from the shackles down, bigger axles, 15 inch tires, had to “flip” the axles to gain some wheel well clearance. This ended up raising the trailer 7 inches, thus the struggle to raise the hitch ball…. However crazy it might look, I had nothing but smooth sailing for 60,000 miles until I hit a perpendicular rut filled with gravel at 20mph on a BLM road 20 miles into the Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming. The good news is that I was able to drive 140 miles on the shoulder back to Cody and found an old school welder who cut out an eleven inch section of the frame that was crumpled, fish plated a new section in and welded in a few gussets, better than new for $385. I was so happy I gave him $500, have put on 20,000 miles since with no issues. Yes, I need a bigger truck, but really can’t afford it on a fixed income. Now you know the rest of the story!"

"I upgraded the entire suspension from the shackles down, bigger axles, 15 inch tires, had to “flip” the axles to gain some wheel well clearance. This ended up raising the trailer 7 inches, thus the struggle to raise the hitch ball…. However crazy it might look, I had nothing but smooth sailing for 60,000 miles until I hit a perpendicular rut filled with gravel at 20mph on a BLM road 20 miles into the Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming. The good news is that I was able to drive 140 miles on the shoulder back to Cody and found an old school welder who cut out an eleven inch section of the frame that was crumpled, fish plated a new section in and welded in a few gussets, better than new for $385. I was so happy I gave him $500, have put on 20,000 miles since with no issues. Yes, I need a bigger truck, but really can’t afford it on a fixed income. Now you know the rest of the story!"
The trailer mods are less of a concern to me than what was the squat of the truck prior to ever hooking the trailer to it?
Load leveling hitches use the length of the frame as a lever to lessen rear axle weight and add front axle weight.
so if you overload the rear of the truck the fulcrum point becomes the bracket mounts on the trailer frame.
So you overload the bed of the truck and try and correct it with a load leveling hitch, the trailer tongue weight may have not been the issue.

This may not be a popular explanation, but the trailer is not an overly heavy looking toy box style, I'll bet the truck bed was over loaded.
trailer mods, and odd hitch setup are less of an issue than an overloaded truck and a driver trying to fix it with load leveling hitch.

Just like when you build up a truck and go after the weakest link, once you beef it up something else becomes the weakest link, and on and on.
As you strengthen one thing, it puts the burden onto the next thing. We all know this.

In this case, the WDH ties in the truck and trailer frame together, if you will, and I think the truck frame is much stronger than the trailer frame so when push came to shove over rough terrain, the trailer frame lost. It also looks like it may not have been set up correctly, notice the bars are at an angle and not straight. Could that have played a role in this?

Modified the trailer.
Nuff said
The trailer mods are less of a concern to me than what was the squat of the truck prior to ever hooking the trailer to it?
Load leveling hitches use the length of the frame as a lever to lessen rear axle weight and add front axle weight.
so if you overload the rear of the truck the fulcrum point becomes the bracket mounts on the trailer frame.
So you overload the bed of the truck and try and correct it with a load leveling hitch, the trailer tongue weight may have not been the issue.

This may not be a popular explanation, but the trailer is not an overly heavy looking toy box style, I'll bet the truck bed was over loaded.
trailer mods, and odd hitch setup are less of an issue than an overloaded truck and a driver trying to fix it with load leveling hitch.

Regardless of how the WDH, trailer and truck were set up I don't think it would have mattered. Those are small factors. You drive over the right size rut at the right speed and physics is gonna try and cram the hitch ball into the ground real hard. If he'd driven into that rut with everything bone stock and the ass of the truck low he'd probably have bottomed the truck and bent the trailer all the same.

Even after the $500 and extra few hours of his time this dude is time and money ahead 100x over compared to where he would have been had he listened to all the NPC pieces of shit that make up the "hurr durr you need a diesel won-ton-truck for that there bass boat son" crowd that all the IBB boomers see no issue with parroting.

But that level of paranoia isn't a good way to live.

That seems perfectly fine to me.

You don't want to address the axle swap and lift?
There's nothing to address. It's a trailer axle. Not some leaf sprung hot rod on big sticky tires that's wrapping it all up. The lift barely does anything beyond move the trailer frame up, This is more or less compensated for by moving the trailer ball up. And the WDH is more or less unaffected because you'll just wind up with more links of chain between the bar and the bracket than you did before.

Ok
Well then...
You seem to have changed the storyline...
I give up.
I'm wrong and you win the bdl award.

Dumb interstate tie down with $1.99 tie downs;

There was nothing else holding it down in front. It rolled/rocked back & forth as it hit expansion joints with the two rear corner straps going slack and then snapping back taut.

Oddly, the front one was tied town reasonably well with 4 appropriately sized and purpose specific straps. I guess his buddy asked him to bring his along and didn’t provide any straps or something.

IMG_2395.jpeg

Last edited:
Dumb interstate tie down with $1.99 tie downs;

There was nothing else holding it down in front. It rolled/rocked back & forth as it hit expansion joints with the two rear corner straps going slack and then snapping back taut.

Oddly, the front one was tied town reasonably well with 4 appropriately sized and purpose specific straps. I guess his buddy asked him to bring his along and didn’t provide any straps or something.

SxS fags have no idea what they're doing. Most I see are on a pipe top 16ft behind a king ranch F250. A single 1" strap on the front, and hope the ramp/gate holds it in.

Top Back Refresh