What's new

best cheap(er) trailer brakes

Member Number
Loc
Sunny Sequim, WA
I've got to replace the brakes on my trailer. 7k dexters.

any suggestions for brake sources?

I know, buy it nice or buy it twice, but there's got to be a balance between quality and affordable.

I see there are 360/per pair brakes on e-trailer, or 216 for 4 brakes on amazon.

what have you used?

The local to me trailer place has good prices and stock on hand where it's worth just grabbing from them.

I've always grabbed loaded backing plates from a local trailer supplier (Pioneer Wheel and Rim). Mostly Dexter brand if I recall correctly and reasonably priced. Always loaded self adjusting assemblies as it's nearly identical in price to just shoes and no screwing around cleaning and relubing everything.

Because of their weight I'd at least call a local trailer shop/supply and get a price.

Edit: the above Amazon SW wheel link looks decent and cheap if local doesn't work.

Dexter if you can spare the cash. Amachina if not. I go amachina because I may use trailer once a year if I'm lucky. Plus I pull it with an MDT so I am never going fast anyways.

I have yet to see a failure with the cheap stuff. I've used it a lot when I relied on northern tool.

doing brakes because they are grease-fucked.
soak the shoes in a bucket of gasoline
then use that same gasoline to clean the rest of the parts
then dump it in your diesel tank after settling the sand out

I know I know, brakes are important and all, but all of them are cheap trash parts
if there's still a good amount of lining left, you're best off getting your use out of them

Top Back Refresh