What's new

Best 9 mm FMJ ammo

Shot placement is king. A homicide investigators conference I worked had a ME talk about gunshots and he cited the case of a man that shot his wife at point blank with a .40 while she was in the bathtub. I don't remember how many passed through her body, but he said in his opinion only one of the 8 wounds was fatal, IOW, if that one shot had not been fired, she probably would have survived. Shit, 50 cent took 9 shots from a 9mm and survived. Both of those examples were FMJ.

HP's give you more chance to open up an artery or vital organ. Let's face it, in a gunfight, which I hope to never experience, you're going to be dumping rounds center mass and hoping the other guy can't do same. Nobody is shooting for the heart, or neck, OTOH, if they've got armor you better be able to hit that ocular box.

I didn’t really want to get into this discussion, but.

The idea you are going to drop the guy with a hand gun is unlikely. So your goal is to get a hit. Several reason for this, one of which is once hit, he is likly to go get professional medical help. They report all GS wounds to police. So this helps identify the guy later. As Providence mentioned, a lot of people give up the minute they are hit.

I also in-vision some other scenarios like a guy does something that I’m willing to shoot him over and he jumps in a car and drives away. I want to hit his tires or his gas tank. Maybe I want a round to make it through the trunk, back seat, front seat and his back.

A gun is also a tool. Maybe I want to shoot a padlock or a propane tank. The point is I want a hole in whatever I hit.

Are my reasons out of line, maybe. I’m not telling you to carry a FMJ. You do you.

The idea you are going to drop the guy with a hand gun is unlikely. So your goal is to get a hit. Several reason for this, one of which is once hit, he is likly to go get professional medical help. They report all GS wounds to police. So this helps identify the guy later. As Providence mentioned, a lot of people give up the minute they are hit.

I also in-vision some other scenarios like a guy does something that I’m willing to shoot him over and he jumps in a car and drives away. I want to hit his tires or his gas tank. Maybe I want a round to make it through the trunk, back seat, front seat and his back.

A gun is also a tool. Maybe I want to shoot a padlock or a propane tank. The point is I want a hole in whatever I hit.

Are my reasons out of line, maybe. I’m not telling you to carry a FMJ. You do you.
shooting a fleeing attacker is always taken well by the courts.

My last ccw instructor said that 97% of people shot a single time with a handgun survive. The survival rate was still over 75% for people shot multiple times. Not sure if it’s correct but I do know that handguns suck at killing people. The key is to not be the first person with extra holes in your body.

You forgot, you live in Florida.

That means PCP, meth, etc. Gunshots are only going to encourage and enrage them.

You want to do as much damage as possible with every hit and get them to bleed out as quick as possible. Pelvic shots are great at keeping them from advancing. :flipoff2:

Funny thing is fmj is more easily deflected. Shooting through windshields and doors it was mind blowing how little the hp deviated, while the fmjs were going all over and turning crazy angles.

You've watched too many movies if you think lead covered in copper is actual effective at putting holes in propane tanks and steel locks. :laughing:

I would think again about shooting at somebody flinging in a car.

Once they’re fleeing and you keep shooting you became the aggressor and you’re getting in a bit of trouble.
2# you don’t know if he came there with his kid in the car. He could of told them to lay down in the backseat and now you’re shooting at a car and you don’t know who or what is in it and it’s fleeing, those are not good choices.

9mm sig v-crown 147gr flavor.
10mm sig v-crown 200gr flavor.
Typically practice with sig fmj’s as it’s cheaper, and I burn through a lot at the range in the backyard.

I would think again about shooting at somebody flinging in a car.

Once they’re fleeing and you keep shooting you became the aggressor and you’re getting in a bit of trouble.
2# you don’t know if he came there with his kid in the car. He could of told them to lay down in the backseat and now you’re shooting at a car and you don’t know who or what is in it and it’s fleeing, those are not good choices.
Yes it would require thought, but it depends on what he did. If I’m willing to shoot a fleeing car, I probably don’t care who’s in the back. Also, as I said, I could be shooting at tires.

Yes it would require thought, but it depends on what he did. If I’m willing to shoot a fleeing car, I probably don’t care who’s in the back. Also, as I said, I could be shooting at tires.
No depends, their full of shit….
It doesn’t matter if you’re shooting at the tires or shooting at the guy driving..
And you became the aggressor in the gunfight, you are no longer the victim.

Once they stop aggressing /shooting or go to flee, no matter what they did you don’t get to continue shooting at them.

If you do, you have a very difficult challenge ahead of you you’re going to have to prove to the jury that if you didn’t stop them that they would have killed somebody else.

Can you hit a tire on a moving car?

The experts say practice with what you carry. That’s what I want to do.

As far as HP vs FMJ, there are arguments for both. In my opinion, the arguments for FMJ win out.

The first part is correct.
The second part, well it really doesn’t matter what you have if you can’t hit the target. Rounds on target > than what ammo you have

The experts say practice with what you carry. That’s what I want to do.

As far as HP vs FMJ, there are arguments for both. In my opinion, the arguments for FMJ win out.
And what they mean by that is train with the gun you intend to carry. Not the ammo.

Fmj or hp, it doesn’t matter, they’ll both go where you aim.

You guys are silly. Anyone that knows anything is carrying an AR pistol in a drop-leg holster.

WaterH — dunno if a heavier round is quieter. But a 147 grain is naturally subsonic. So you at least don’t have sound barrier noise.
Only if that ar pistol is chambered in 450bm or 458 socom. Then you have 45-70 in ar. Win win all around. :flipoff2:

The second part, well it really doesn’t matter what you have if you can’t hit the target. Rounds on target > than what ammo you have

everybody knows a 9mm fmj will blow the lungs clear out of a person driving away from you at 60mph with a 13.24mph cross wind. Hollow points would just be excessive:shaking:

Can you hit a tire on a moving car?
In an exciting situation, probably not. I don’t know about you guys, but I find I’m extremely accurate when I take my time and shoot. Sometimes I like to run ten feet, turn and shoot, run another ten feet and turn and shoot. When I do that, I find I can’t hit shit. It’s really embarrassing.

Only if that ar pistol is chambered in 450bm or 458 socom. Then you have 45-70 in ar. Win win all around. :flipoff2:
I've been thinking hard on some sorta 510wsm kinda thing
paired with m48 spotter/tracers it'd be really cool

In an exciting situation, probably not. I don’t know about you guys, but I find I’m extremely accurate when I take my time and shoot. Sometimes I like to run ten feet, turn and shoot, run another ten feet and turn and shoot. When I do that, I find I can’t hit shit. It’s really embarrassing.
Sounds like you need training. Your fundamentals if correct will allow you to do that.

Sounds like you need training. Your fundamentals if correct will allow you to do that.
Don’t we all.

Funny, I just came in from casual training with a top instructor who also happens to be a MMA expert. What a cool guy.I thought him to fly helicopter. He happened to be in town on business and asked if I wanted shoot in my backyard range.

This guy is not a “long range” guy. He is strictly combat oriented and trains cops. (He told me most of them suck). Anyways we went through most of the basics which is really what I needed. Most of what he told me was stuff I had heard and done before, but he tought me something I have never heard before that really helped my grouping in literally 100 rds. I’m almost embarrassed to say it here because he said “everyone knows this”.

Two terms, “trigger reset” and “the wall”. Does everyone here know these?

Also, I asked him about the hp vs FMJ and he said shot placement is everything. If you’re arguing about that shit, you’re a better shooter than him. (Doubtful)

IMG_9539.jpeg

Don’t we all.

Funny, I just came in from casual training with a top instructor who also happens to be a MMA expert. What a cool guy.I thought him to fly helicopter. He happened to be in town on business and asked if I wanted shoot in my backyard range.

This guy is not a “long range” guy. He is strictly combat oriented and trains cops. (He told me most of them suck). Anyways we went through most of the basics which is really what I needed. Most of what he told me was stuff I had heard and done before, but he tought me something I have never heard before that really helped my grouping in literally 100 rds. I’m almost embarrassed to say it here because he said “everyone knows this”.

Two terms, “trigger reset” and “the wall”. Does everyone here know these?

Also, I asked him about the hp vs FMJ and he said shot placement is everything. If you’re arguing about that shit, you’re a better shooter than him. (Doubtful)
I'm no high level operator, but I've had quite a bit of training, mostly for 3-gun use or my LR rifle stuff. Been through a couple shoot houses with static targets, and let me tell you that a dynamic shoot house with sims is a whole nother deal, as must be a real live house clearing with bad guys shooting at you. And yes trigger reset and the wall are fundamental parts of pistol shooting.

I reload 9mm with berrys plated round nose for plinking only. I only had 1 fail to feed out of the 2,000 or so I loaded. I keep a couple mags loaded with blazers for carry in my 365

I don't carry with cheap Sterling FMJ 9mm ammo, but... I can put 15 rnds of Sterling on an 8 inch gong at 12 yds in the time it takes to put 5 rnds of $1/rnd Sig personal protection HPs using my P365 Macro-X. Even if I wanted to train with the Sig stuff, I ain't got that kind of money or supplier.

Top Back Refresh