What's new

Beadlock wheels out there?

Depends on wheels/tires. 4 wraps with methods and treps still seated at 15psi.

I totally get that...makes sense. What I don't get is how'd you land on 4 wraps for that combo? Is it just trial and error or is there a method to the madness?

Eeeeeeww, that's a lot of tape!

I feel like Trep's and Iroks were the worst I ever had. Iroks would fall off my Allieds at 15psi.

Eeeeeeww, that's a lot of tape!

I feel like Trep's and Iroks were the worst I ever had. Iroks would fall off my Allieds at 15psi.

My 39.5 iroks were terrible on old school steel trail readys. Pull the cores and just step on the inner bead to unseat it:homer:

I don't know how to figure out how much tape besides trial and error. I've had tires seat hard at 20+ psi with zero tape, then the mentioned iroks that didn't even make a slight pop. I did read about someone who destroyed a tire trying to seat it with too many wraps.

Also HF tape wraps are like 4:1 of gorilla tape :laughing:

My 39.5 iroks were terrible on old school steel trail readys. Pull the cores and just step on the inner bead to unseat it:homer:

I don't know how to figure out how much tape besides trial and error. I've had tires seat hard at 20+ psi with zero tape, then the mentioned iroks that didn't even make a slight pop. I did read about someone who destroyed a tire trying to seat it with too many wraps.

Also HF tape wraps are like 4:1 of gorilla tape :laughing:

A few of us all had 39.5 Iroks around here a the same time with issues and different wheels.

I just did 2 wraps cause I never lost beads with my treps but they would burp. I have one now on my RR I might have screwed up on and mounted it flipped of how they were. It'll seep some if I get it just right, not sure if it's cause the back bead was clamped before or there's damage to that tire since they were used. Of course it's all torn up on the sidewall too.

I always use black gorilla tape.

A few of us all had 39.5 Iroks around here a the same time with issues and different wheels.

I just did 2 wraps cause I never lost beads with my treps but they would burp. I have one now on my RR I might have screwed up on and mounted it flipped of how they were. It'll seep some if I get it just right, not sure if it's cause the back bead was clamped before or there's damage to that tire since they were used. Of course it's all torn up on the sidewall too.

I always use black gorilla tape.
Were you guys using the 15" version of the 39.5 Irok bias? I had the 39.5s on 17" TrailReady steelies and never had issues with burping or losing an inner bead but they were horrible tires in any side hill situation. D range 8 ply rating on the sidewalls meant even after being broken in, they still didn't flex very well. Decently sticky compound though.

Were you guys using the 15" version of the 39.5 Irok bias? I had the 39.5s on 17" TrailReady steelies and never had issues with burping or losing an inner bead but they were horrible tires in any side hill situation. D range 8 ply rating on the sidewalls meant even after being broken in, they still didn't flex very well. Decently sticky compound though.

I had 17's, cdemart2 had 17's and I think the one other guys had 16's. I do know a few that used 15's with no issue. I had 17x8 Allieds and if a nat farted 10 feet away I'd loose a bead.

I totally get that...makes sense. What I don't get is how'd you land on 4 wraps for that combo? Is it just trial and error or is there a method to the madness?

I knew treps were loose on the inners just from experience, and after seeing how small the method inner safety bead is, so i did 4 wraps, if they start to burp once they break in, ill take them down and go to 8. Right now im running 2psi without issue but they are still new and stiff as hell.

In short, SWAG

It all depends on the wheel and tire combo. Some wheels have a different safety bead machined in and some tires have a thicker bead.

Maybe we should have a thread on what combos are known to work well together?

Top Back Refresh