What's new

Automatic transmission noob -700r4 question

Sandy Johnson

Harry Member
Member Number
Loc
Spreckels, Ca
I've got a heathy 6.0 lq9 hooked up to a 700r4. 4.88s, 40s, jeep weighs 5,300 lbs with me in it.

This is my first rig I've had an automatic in, and it has taken a little adjustment. Up until last weekend all I've really done is go crawling with the thing and it is phenomenal at that. This last weekend I got back to my roots and met up with some friends to do some high speed desert and sand dunes. I was a little disappointed in the performance and trying to figure out what needs to change. I'm making all the right V8 noises, but it feels like it's not quite putting down the power. Rode in a buddy's 4 door JK (5.13s, 40s, stock engine and tranny) and was surprised how much harder it pulled in the dunes. To add to my suspicions, I could only get a few minutes of spirited dune or even desert wash driving before my tranny temp would start climbing. I've got two coolers with electric fans on the lines and it's still not enough.

On an related story, I ended up doing some highway driving with it last night. It has an overdrive torque converter lockup that works pretty well from 60 mph on, but any time I hit a hill and had to turn off over drive, I'd rev to the moon and build a lot of tranny heat without going too much faster. I finally figured I have a real problem when I ended up screaming up a local grade at 55 mph with my tranny temp gauge pegged. With my foot to the floor I should be hauling ass but instead all I'm getting is slippage. Shoot, I can cruise up that hill at 75 in my jetta station wagon.

Time for a new torque converter? Something else screwy with my transmission? I just want to be able to haul ass when I actually put my foot in it.

Last edited:
I’d start with adjusting the tv cable and go from there.

Not to mention 4.88 and 40s and hp + 700r4.

If that was not a built 700 your pro just ripping through its best holding power.

You didnt say what motor or trans your buddy had either. So comparing them may be moot.

Not to mention 4.88 and 40s and hp + 700r4.

If that was not a built 700 your pro just ripping through its best holding power.

You didnt say what motor or trans your buddy had either. So comparing them may be moot.
Don't forget the part about the rig weighing 5300lb. :lmao:

The 700R4 was barely adequate in 4000lb half ton trucks with a ~30" tire and a 200hp V8.

No surprise it's the weak link when you have a 6.0 on one end and 40s on the other.

Alright, so long term, sounds like a new tranny is in the cards. Does anyone have any band-aids I can slap on it now until I can track down and install a new tranny?

You never did say if you had a stall converter or what rpm you were running at.

Maybe youre just to low in the band.

Stock 3.6 and trans. Hence my disappointment. The only reason I could hang with him in the dunes is that his transmission hates him as well and would refuse to shift out of 3rd quite often.

You never did say if you had a stall converter or what rpm you were running at.

Maybe youre just to low in the band.
Yeah, there's a lot I don't know about the tranny. Somewhere in my garage with a pile of spare parts from the previous owner, is some paperwork that talks about what was done to the tranny. Prior to rebuilding it, the thing shifted hard- which I liked. I'm wondering if I forgot to plug something back in properly after I re-did the rear because I don't get those hard shifts anymore. Also, I had a manual torque convert lockup button that I could use in 3rd and 4th that no longer does anything. I thought I just screwed up the switch taking apart my shifter, but maybe I did something else wrong.

700 are mechanical shift only. They only use the elec/tcm for automatic lock up function. You may fuck up your switch but it wont change how the trans shifts unless you lock the converter perminantly with a short.

700 are mechanical shift only. They only use the elec/tcm for automatic lock up function. You may fuck up your switch but it wont change how the trans shifts unless you lock the converter perminantly with a short.
huh, I wonder what's making it shift softer now. TV Cable?

Tv controls line psi. If its not right it wont give high psi.

Or you pulled through the clutches so hard they cant grab at all.

Prior to rebuilding it, the thing shifted hard- which I liked. I'm wondering if I forgot to plug something back in properly after I re-did the rear because I don't get those hard shifts anymore.
sounds like you messed something up and need to pull it out again.

Top Back Refresh