What's new

Anyone running a Honda K20/24?

I'm a big 4 cyl guy and I think right now they are the engine to have if you are going to run a 4. I've moved on to the adult version of 4cyl motors, V6's :laughing:

Like I said, v6 is the practical choice when not wanting all out V8 power. It's just boring. At least the little 4 cyl brings a smile to your face when screaming along.

I will say on the 500hp easy thing. Every time I'm in the woods with ghoulie it seems like he's fighting a pushed head gasket on that thing. I think he has to reseal if almost every trip. Not that I see him every time he takes out of the garage though so I could have just caught it every time it happened or something.

Good to know. I don't think I'd want anywhere near that kind of power anyway.

Durability would be priority. The more stock components the better. Honestly n/a would probably be fine, but 7-10lbs of boost or so does sound like fun. :smokin: especially since I'm betting that any of the "1 ton" gm autos are going to suck up some power.
There are people with 100K miles on these set ups, at 350hp, ish.

Most pundits say go over 500 and it's meh.

I could just mate it to my r150/ax15 and add an ecobox between it and the atlas. If I did that, I'd probably just leave it na, especially if I can find a ~200hp version.

If I were to do the 6l80e, or 4l80e I'd be worried it might suck up too much power and a low boost turbo would be fun.
A manual with an atlas and the k sounds like good times !

I get you, I guess there is a huge difference between a truck and car intake. But no such thing as a car lv3 intake.

Can you just block off 2 of the holes on an ls intake? :flipoff2:
Better yet just run the additional 2 cylinders:flipoff2: I can't imagine the day I actually see a v8 intake on a v6 on the trails and don't wonder where the rest of the engine is:homer:

1. Bill Hitchner on Facebook makes a ton of adapters for Honda k series and other to gm transmissions and Chrysler 904's and stuff. Worth a look.

2. Jeremy Winters (rock ape with lo budget pimping on the old board) runs a JHF portal car with a k24 and likes it. He also used to be a tech at a Honda dealer. I think his daughter won werock west sportsman series with it this most recent year.

3. Moroso makes an oil pan for the LV3 and LA1. But it's nearly $1k.

4. The factory aluminum oil pan has been shortened by more than a few folks, including SoCalTJMark (Mark Underwood) and Jacob Reeves in their builds.

5. Dan Jost built and LV3 and modified a LT intake for it and runs like 20psi in a grand national. his was more of a high ram style, because car car.

6. I'm running an LV3 in my commando project, and with the factory oil pan and intake, and the factory 6L80E, I'll have hood clearance and the oil pan is no lower than the tranny pan, so with a good skid, I expect to be fine. if I find I need it, I'll pull the pan and install the moroso- but more for the trap doors and oiling than the clearance in my application.

7. If I were buying fresh, I'd look for a chevy express van with the LV1 version of the 4.3l, because it had factory TC hydraulic power steering pump and factory AFM / DOD deleted, and therefore doesn't have the problematic lifters in those cylinders.

HTH

Last edited:
There is a zuke here locally with a built k24 mated to a toyota 5speed(G series i think) that works really good, he has been talking about turbos but not done it yet

7. If I were buying fresh, I'd look for a chevy express van with the LA1 version of the 4.3l, because it had factory TC hydraulic power steering pump and factory AFM / DOD deleted, and therefore doesn't have the problematic lifters in those cylinders.

HTH
Just use L8T brackets. They're all over the place.

I'd cam the engine regardless.

I have one if the Bill “k to GM kits for sale. Just throwing that out there.

Just use L8T brackets. They're all over the place.
I didn't know that at the time, I bought the ICT billet brackets and I think they are going to work out for me. Unfortunately they put the steering pump on the passenger side, so ill have a bit of hard line to get to the box, but should work good with the single pass PSC cooler to get the return back over there.

I didn't know that at the time, I bought the ICT billet brackets and I think they are going to work out for me. Unfortunately they put the steering pump on the passenger side, so ill have a bit of hard line to get to the box, but should work good with the single pass PSC cooler to get the return back over there.
Yeah, I had an L83 with their bracket that did that. It ended up in a 4 runner that we did the hard line route with.

This was before GM realized they needed hydro pumps on their gen 5 engines. :shaking:

So I just realized that the intake points at the firewall when doing a rwd swap. Due to the aftermarket being so strong there is plenty of options to replace the entire thing with one that points forward, but it's still an added cost or fab time.

So I just realized that the intake points at the firewall when doing a rwd swap. Due to the aftermarket being so strong there is plenty of options to replace the entire thing with one that points forward, but it's still an added cost or fab time.

Such a great engine :flipoff2:

Yes, I do, at 7 psi the stock computer will not be an issue. Even my 96 4runner can run 7-8psi with the stock computer and no tuning :laughing:
LMAO good luck :flipoff2: Is that something you personally did with satisfactory results? Yes you might be able to get the boost gauge to read 7 psi with a stock tune... a couple times.

Bolting one into a chassis is the easy part, getting a trans to hook to it and engine management is where all the time/$ comes in.

LMAO good luck :flipoff2: Is that something you personally did with satisfactory results? Yes you might be able to get the boost gauge to read 7 psi with a stock tune... a couple times.

No, I've only read about people doing it. Many people are running low boost setups with no or very little tuning. You know all the people just slapping a TRD supercharger on stock 3.4s?

Bolting one into a chassis is the easy part, getting a trans to hook to it and engine management is where all the time/$ comes in.

I can agree with that. The tq converter is an unknown. The fabbot adapter kit is supposed to use all the gm stuff, so I'd think there would be enough options there. As far as management, guys are doing far bigger numner than I want without a stand alone ecu.

Just run K-Pro, basically HPTuners for Honda K series. With any boost, pull the pistons and increase the ring gap to let the pistons live. Awesome engines, 4PistonsRacing and Drag Cartel have all the parts and knowledge you'll need for this. Also, you'll need the 02-04 RSX harness (if I'm remembering correctly) to run it.

I fully support running small unique to crawler stuff, that makes less sense in every way than an LS. It doesn't matter. It's fucking fun doing shit like that. There's a reason those builds get more interest than LS swaps. It's just cooler.

I mean I love fiat. I follow his you tube also. Legit. But I don’t have that in me. I like simple LS or simple 22r.

2. Jeremy Winters (rock ape with lo budget pimping on the old board) runs a JHF portal car with a k24 and likes it. He also used to be a tech at a Honda dealer. I think his daughter won werock west sportsman series with it this most recent year.

Does he go by low dollar baller or something on IG?

I know fuck all about Honda k series but I have followed this guy for a few years and I hope he finishes this before the parkinson's gets him.

Screenshot_20230224_100341_Instagram.jpg

I know fuck all about Honda k series but I have followed this guy for a few years and I hope he finishes this before the parkinson's gets him.

Screenshot_20230224_100341_Instagram.jpg

Billet block?

This shit is always interesting to me, but man I'd have a hard time justifying the work. "it like a 5.0 coyote, but honda and cost me a million dollars, with basically no advantage" :laughing:

This shit is always interesting to me, but man I'd have a hard time justifying the work. "it like a 5.0 coyote, but honda and cost me a million dollars, with basically no advantage" :laughing:

That's what I hear when you're talking about a K24 in a buggy instead of a GM V6

Billet block?

Yeah billet block, custom crank etc.
But this dude is sharp and makes shit out of readily available parts when possible.
He already has crank/rods/pistons for it.

It's flat plane crank looking to best some Ferrari engine for power per CC.

edit: I am not trying to suggest this is for your buggy example just thought it was cool.

Top Back Refresh