What's new

Anyone running a Honda K20/24?

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
The LS of 4 cyl's. :flipoff2:

They've been used in about every Honda car since the early 2000s, so they're pretty cheap and easy to find. From what I read the respond and hold up to boost very well. I hear 500hp is easy :laughing:

Also due to thier popularity, there is adapters for almost any trans, Th350/400, Toyota r150/ax15, Nissan, ect.

The ghoulie is what got me interested in them. Spinning 4 49s like nothing :smokin:

There is also a chevy Colorado with one in it.

For those who don't watch Cletus, this miata runs a k24 and they beat the absolute shit out of it. Rev limiter for minutes on end.

I've always like 4cyls in crawlers for wieght, and a little less tq to keep stuff alive :laughing:

Less tq sounds like a stupid idea.

Get an all aluminum 4.3 LT V6.

Stupid on paper, yes. But the whole point of wheelin is to have fun. :flipoff2:

The lt3 or whatever is neat, but they're expensive since they didn't make that many of them and not that much lighter than an aluminum 5.3.

Did you watch the video? The ghoulie 2 has no problem spinning 49s in the snow or 43 stickies in the rocks. There's a few videos of him shooting backdoor no problem.

Did you watch the video? The ghoulie 2 has no problem spinning 49s in the snow or 43 stickies in the rocks. There's a few videos of him shooting backdoor no problem.

I did watch the video.

Have you seen Jesse Haines doing the same thing with a 1.5 that is supercharged ?

It's even lighter.

I just don't see the point.

I did watch the video.

Have you seen Jesse Haines doing the same thing with a 1.5 that is supercharged ?

It's even lighter.

I just don't see the point.

Then why click on the thread? :flipoff2:

The little engines they run are cool, but still expensive. These k24s are ~$800, so if you smoke one, it's not a big deal. I also have to think a 2.4L make more low end than a 1.4L, but with how some of these new engines are, I could be wrong.

Then why click on the thread? :flipoff2:

I love showing you that you're wrong. :flipoff2:

Please tally up how much a turbo K24 would cost total and I will show you how much cheaper and simpler a LT3 would be.

I love showing you that you're wrong. :flipoff2:

Please tally up how much a turbo K24 would cost total and I will show you how much cheaper and simpler a LT3 would be.

For me, I'm not even sure I'd go turbo, the 200hp version is double what I have now:laughing:

So $1000 + $1000 adapter. Lv3 is ~$4k on line. I'm pretty sure you could get to the same ~300hp with ~7psi for under $2k. Fuel, wiring, ect should be roughly the same between the 2.

Like I said, you're not wrong. The lv3 is almost the perfect trail rig engine. Lightweight, compact, just "enough" power, good low end and bolts right up to all the common trans. I actually even really like the regular old iron 4.3 for the same reasons. But man, I don't know if there is a more boring engine.

For me, I'm not even sure I'd go turbo, the 200hp version is double what I have now:laughing:
That definitely makes a difference.

So $1000 + $1000 adapter. Lv3 is ~$4k on line. I'm pretty sure you could get to the same ~300hp with ~7psi for under $2k. Fuel, wiring, ect should be roughly the same between the 2.

Broooooo :laughing:
Do you think you can turbo a K24 and keep the OEM ECU ? That's 2k, right there.
Honda adapter includes a torque converter adaptation or do you need a custom one ?

Like I said, you're not wrong. The lv3 is almost the perfect trail rig engine. Lightweight, compact, just "enough" power, good low end and bolts right up to all the common trans. I actually even really like the regular old iron 4.3 for the same reasons. But man, I don't know if there is a more boring engine.
haha I'll give you all of that.

That definitely makes a difference.

Broooooo :laughing:
Do you think you can turbo a K24 and keep the OEM ECU ? That's 2k, right there.
Honda adapter includes a torque converter adaptation or do you need a custom one ?

haha I'll give you all of that.

Yes, I do, at 7 psi the stock computer will not be an issue. Even my 96 4runner can run 7-8psi with the stock computer and no tuning :laughing:

Guys are doing a lot with a stock ecu on the k series. No different than any swap, you can save money by trimming your own harness and have the ecu flashed to get rid of some stuff, press the easy button and get a plug and play harness or the baller easy button and go fl stand alone ecu.

One day I'll build something with a real engine(V8), but it will have beefier stuff down stream.

Yes, I do, at 7 psi the stock computer will not be an issue. Even my 96 4runner can run 7-8psi with the stock computer and no tuning :laughing:

Dumb.

Also, there is a LV3 20 miles from me for 2500 with ECU and factory harness

I’d like to think 200hp Honda K24 and 200hp 4.3, or even the good ol’ Jeep 4.0, aren’t even “the same thing”

I looked up on wiki, look like those Hondas’ HP peaks at no less than 6,000rpm, torque at no less than 4,000 rpm.

I’d like to think 200hp Honda K24 and 200hp 4.3, or even the good ol’ Jeep 4.0, aren’t even “the same thing”

I looked up on wiki, look like those Hondas’ HP peaks at no less than 6,000rpm, torque at no less than 4,000 rpm.

Absolutely, I'm not arguing that. Honestly until I saw a bunch of videos of the ghoulie 2, I figured a high strung turbo 4cyl would be dumb in a wheeler, but it seems like the thing gets up and goes really well.

The problem with the lv3 is, why not just go aluminum 5.3, they're literally cheaper and easier to find. Probably only 100lbs heavier.

Plus a v6 sound terrible :flipoff2:

The new 4.3 is tall AF with no bolt on oil pan or intake options AFAIK. Local guy has one in a lizard and it's way up there. Of course you can adapt stuff and make a pan and all but in stock form it's tall AF.

K-series is a pretty small motor, easy to work on and super reliable. I honestly would choose it in most practical cases over a newer 4.3.

The new 4.3 is tall AF with no bolt on oil pan or intake options AFAIK. Local guy has one in a lizard and it's way up there. Of course you can adapt stuff and make a pan and all but in stock form it's tall AF.

K-series is a pretty small motor, easy to work on and super reliable. I honestly would choose it in most practical cases over a newer 4.3.

Is it not "just an ls with 2 cylinders chopped off" like the old 4.3 was to a 350?

Is it not "just an ls with 2 cylinders chopped off" like the old 4.3 was to a 350?
Yeah with zero aftermarket options. Ls has a plethora of intake and oil pan options in both stock and aftermarket markets. Stock 4.3lt has a tall intake and oil pan with no options other than custom AFAIK.

Yeah with zero aftermarket options. Ls has a plethora of intake and oil pan options in both stock and aftermarket markets. Stock 4.3lt has a tall intake and oil pan with no options other than custom AFAIK.

I get you, I guess there is a huge difference between a truck and car intake. But no such thing as a car lv3 intake.

Can you just block off 2 of the holes on an ls intake? :flipoff2:

I was just going to mention this guy. This thing rips. Saw a video of him hitting back door and another event in Washington I believe. The k series line is durable and cheap to run and build for power. They can make good torque. Besides that’s why there’s there’s doublers and lower tcase gears.

I was just going to mention this guy. This thing rips. Saw a video of him hitting back door and another event in Washington I believe. The k series line is durable and cheap to run and build for power. They can make good torque. Besides that’s why there’s there’s doublers and lower tcase gears.

Ya, i doubt it's all that light with those 416 axles either.

My thought was to use the "ls adapter" and run a 6l80e. 4:1 1st gear is a huge difference from a 2.48 th400. That and I already have 6.17s.

DSC05451.jpg

LS car intake on a LV3.

You can absolutely shorten a stock oil pan too.

But I understand what you're saying.

My thought was to use the "ls adapter" and run a 6l80e. 4:1 1st gear is a huge difference from a 2.48 th400. That and I already have 6.17s.

You like fucked up complicated shit, do you ? :laughing:

LS car intake on a LV3.

Those headers had me :confused: for a second :laughing:

You can absolutely shorten a stock oil pan too.

But I understand what you're saying.

You like fucked up complicated shit, do you ? :laughing:

Not usually, I typically keep shit as simple as possible. But I do believe that the 6 speed is worth the effort for a multiuse rig imo.

OP: I have a K20 headed K24 with 19lbs of boost in a 2007 Mini Cooper, with the 6 speed manual AWD trans. We used megasquirt, it's dirt cheap.

It's a shit ton of fun.

Yes, we dropped a Mazda Miata rear diff and axles in the back, to make it AWD.

Not sure you'd want to wind to make power, but it's a small lightweight package under the Mini hood.

I have about $4K into the drive train. As in, all in.

Last I looked, a Gen 5 V6 and trans was in that ball park, before supporting mods.

OP: I have a K20 headed K24 with 19lbs of boost in a 2007 Mini Cooper, with the 6 speed manual AWD trans. We used megasquirt, it's dirt cheap.

It's a shit ton of fun.

Yes, we dropped a Mazda Miata rear diff and axles in the back, to make it AWD.

Not sure you'd want to wind to make power, but it's a small lightweight package under the Mini hood.

I have about $4K into the drive train. As in, all in.

Last I looked, a Gen 5 V6 and trans was in that ball park, before supporting mods.

Durability would be priority. The more stock components the better. Honestly n/a would probably be fine, but 7-10lbs of boost or so does sound like fun. :smokin: especially since I'm betting that any of the "1 ton" gm autos are going to suck up some power.

Ya, i doubt it's all that light with those 416 axles either.

Sounds like a good setup. Would you go NA or turbo? I think you can hit mid to high 200 hp na.

Sounds like a good setup. Would you go NA or turbo? I think you can hit mid to high 200 hp na.

I could just mate it to my r150/ax15 and add an ecobox between it and the atlas. If I did that, I'd probably just leave it na, especially if I can find a ~200hp version.

If I were to do the 6l80e, or 4l80e I'd be worried it might suck up too much power and a low boost turbo would be fun.

I'm a big 4 cyl guy and I think right now they are the engine to have if you are going to run a 4. I've moved on to the adult version of 4cyl motors, V6's :laughing:

I will say on the 500hp easy thing. Every time I'm in the woods with ghoulie it seems like he's fighting a pushed head gasket on that thing. I think he has to reseal if almost every trip. Not that I see him every time he takes out of the garage though so I could have just caught it every time it happened or something.

Top Back Refresh