What's new

Anyone else have a nissan leaf for a daily driver?

For OP and anybody else running electric (especially non-hybrid): How much did your monthly electric bill increase? Do you have to pay for the charging stations at rest areas, etc?

I started daily driving a Tesla Model 3 in September of 19. I would say average jump was around $30 driving about 60 miles round trip everyday. We installed chargers at work now so I just plug in when I get to work and unplug when I leave. Haven’t seen the inside of a gas station in months.

photo34019.png

For OP and anybody else running electric (especially non-hybrid): How much did your monthly electric bill increase? Do you have to pay for the charging stations at rest areas, etc?

3.75 miles per kwh is a good rule of thumb for the leaf. then of course it depends on your electric pricing and how many miles you drive.
im at 5.3c per kwh.

roughly a penny and a half a mile to drive the shit box for every kwh that makes it to the battery.

for me i'm averaging about 1400 miles a month on it. Its not 100% efficient at charging so when you factor its only getting 85% juice into the battery we have to add that in. 85% charge efficiency means another 4 bucks lets say of juice wasted.

so total cost a month for 1400 miles is roughly $25

for public charging:
The big DC fast chargers are nearly always pay for KWH and boy do they ass fuck you. 28-50c per kwh. but you're paying for speed so I get it. the smaller AC chargers like the one I use at home are usually free. plugshare.com is a great app that tells you where they are and what they cost.

I have had a Prius for quite a few years. It gets 45 mpg sitting in traffic and just plain works. I live in rural Pennsylvania so I am sometimes going places where I won’t be able to charge a plug-in electric. Plus Nissan sucks at everything else. I wouldn’t trust their electric car.

I started daily driving a Tesla Model 3 in September of 19. I would say average jump was around $30 driving about 60 miles round trip everyday. We installed chargers at work now so I just plug in when I get to work and unplug when I leave. Haven’t seen the inside of a gas station in months.

Are those as good as the internet says?

Are those as good as the internet says?

There’s stuff that I would change but I love it. Having to push a button on the screen to open the glove box, just stupid. Well thought out though and the electric powertrain is awesome. 0-60 in just over 3 seconds is a different feeling in it.

If my truck lasts a few more years we will be an electric household. Not saying cybertruck but someone will come out with a full electric truck that can got 350 miles towing in the winter. And honestly I wouldn’t really need that. Model 3 has taken us from NY to Michigan in a straight shot. People get hung up on range, not as big of a deal if it’s 250 or more.

There’s stuff that I would change but I love it. Having to push a button on the screen to open the glove box, just stupid. Well thought out though and the electric powertrain is awesome. 0-60 in just over 3 seconds is a different feeling in it.

If my truck lasts a few more years we will be an electric household. Not saying cybertruck but someone will come out with a full electric truck that can got 350 miles towing in the winter. And honestly I wouldn’t really need that. Model 3 has taken us from NY to Michigan in a straight shot. People get hung up on range, not as big of a deal if it’s 250 or more.

yea I keep hearing its next level. maybe ill go look.

[486 said:
;n210595]internal combustion engine

wait what? I thought the first gen leaf was all electric

g1 VOLT I fooked up.

They dont say how much it weighs with all those batteries. Nobody wants to lose load capacity.

1 hour to charge is eternity in trucking. Every minute you are late could add 15min to the end of the day by being behind another truck getting unloaded or loaded. Thats why we load like a freight car drive like a race car.

250miles what a joke. Until they can do 800-1000 and charge in a couple hours they wont catch on with real drivers.

Am I the only person here who has never even touched a hybrid?

The only electric cars I have ever touched was my Powerwheels Jeep and Bigfoot monster truck and sisters Barbie Jeep as a kid.

I've driven a hybrid ford fusion and ridden in one a few times. It's weird, you have to turn the key to start it but it runs electric only till 35 then the gas engine kicks in. My brother has 2 of them, been great cars for him. The air filter is supposedly a lifetime unit but he's a maintenance freak so I got to learn how to change that $250 summbich. :laughing:

They dont say how much it weighs with all those batteries. Nobody wants to lose load capacity.

1 hour to charge is eternity in trucking. Every minute you are late could add 15min to the end of the day by being behind another truck getting unloaded or loaded. Thats why we load like a freight car drive like a race car.

250miles what a joke. Until they can do 800-1000 and charge in a couple hours they wont catch on with real drivers.

ahhh yes. the 1000 mile a day super trucker has arrived.

electric trucks wont work for team driving until they have 10 megawatt charging.

for everyone else when parked you can trickle charge for 8 hours just fine. why does it matter if its an hour or 8 if its doing it while you cant legally drive anyways?

Agreed, fuck those piles. I'll change careers before I drive that shit. Part of the love of driving is the noise and being involved with the process. I don't care if the older trucks lack power and acceleration compared to the new electric shit, I'm not going to drive it. Hell I can't stand driving an auto truck, 13 speed for life. :laughing:

How bout you shut the fuck up douchebag,:flipoff:

Seriously? How about you shut the fuck up snowflake. You dont like that I am calling out a company bragging about something that does not work for the real world. The guy talking in the video knows nothing of trucking just like you. Sure electrics might work for some small cars and trucks but not otr trucks, or heavy ag use or heavy equipment or airplanes. Anything that takes massive power for long duration, without idle time to charge and keeping low weight is an issue, full electric will never be viable.

These things wont work for any trucking company wanting to make money with them. They are only for “look at me Im a greenpeace fag.”

electric trucks wont work for team driving until they have 10 megawatt charging.

for everyone else when parked you can trickle charge for 8 hours just fine. why does it matter if its an hour or 8 if its doing it while you cant legally drive anyways?

I never said I do 1000 in a day but there are people that do. Most I have done is 850 but that includes several stops and several hours sitting getting loaded and unloaded.

I guess you dont know what ag exempt is.

Trust me plenty of cattle pots run 1000 in a day often.

Plus what about team drivers. There are lots of those and those trucks dont sit either.

I never said I do 1000 in a day but there are people that do. Most I have done is 850 but that includes several stops and several hours sitting getting loaded and unloaded.

I guess you dont know what ag exempt is.

Trust me plenty of cattle pots run 1000 in a day often.

Plus what about team drivers. There are lots of those and those trucks dont sit either.

i literally said it wont work for team drivers.

can we agree day cabs and straight trucks can be electric pretty readily? metro stuff. hub to hub. last mile LTL. etc.

I agree OTR/team/exempt is not viable with current tech.

i literally said it wont work for team drivers.

can we agree day cabs and straight trucks can be electric pretty readily? metro stuff. hub to hub. last mile LTL. etc.

I agree OTR/team/exempt is not viable with current tech.

No we cant agree. :flipoff2:

I have a daycab and run like its a sleeper rig, yes I sleep across the seat it sucks.

Most of all that you listed does slip seat stuff so those trucks are not sitting either.

Sure there are a few places that can use them but not enough to make a difference in the world.

I've had a few 900 mile days in my time but that's a rarity. The problem with electric trucks is they don't fit with how the industry runs currently. Yea I know change the entire industry to fit the truck right? :laughing:

In a perfect eutopia drivers would show up to a shipper on schedule with a trailer that's clean and prepped ready for loading and the shipper would have the load waiting on the dock ready to load. 10-30 minutes later the truck would be ready to roll paperwork in hand.

In the real world the driver might show up ready to go at the appointment time but the load isn't ready for another 3 hours. The load may be ready but the driver is 3 hours late and the trailer is a mess and needs washing before loading. If the driver is on time and the load is ready odds are the system will crash and they'll be waiting on paperwork for 3 hours. Any way you look at it the whole system is against timely delivery and loading it's why we are allowed to drive 11 hours a day, we are usually lucky to get 8 hours of actual driving in due to negligence or just bad luck on someone else's behalf.

3.75 miles per kwh is a good rule of thumb for the leaf. then of course it depends on your electric pricing and how many miles you drive.
im at 5.3c per kwh.

roughly a penny and a half a mile to drive the shit box for every kwh that makes it to the battery.

for me i'm averaging about 1400 miles a month on it. Its not 100% efficient at charging so when you factor its only getting 85% juice into the battery we have to add that in. 85% charge efficiency means another 4 bucks lets say of juice wasted.

so total cost a month for 1400 miles is roughly $25

for public charging:
The big DC fast chargers are nearly always pay for KWH and boy do they ass fuck you. 28-50c per kwh. but you're paying for speed so I get it. the smaller AC chargers like the one I use at home are usually free. plugshare.com is a great app that tells you where they are and what they cost.

Good break down.
How efficient are your batteries delivering that DC to the motor?

In the big picture, getting electricity from the power plant to your tires has a lot of losses.

If your doing this to be green your probably loosing if you do all the math.

We aren’t talking about tractors here. It’ll be a while before over the road guys will have to “worry” about it. I get such a chuckle out of people that fight it. I would think if your running a business and something that could save you money comes around you’d rather keep your door open then fight it because its not for real drivers.

We run a fleet of 7 tractors and the Tesla Semi is almost there. But we would want a day cab and 700 miles. They come home every night and you need a 10 hour restart on your day anyway.

No we cant agree. :flipoff2:

I have a daycab and run like its a sleeper rig, yes I sleep across the seat it sucks.

Most of all that you listed does slip seat stuff so those trucks are not sitting either.

Sure there are a few places that can use them but not enough to make a difference in the world.

so you think the tesla semi is going to flop bigly?

I've had a few 900 mile days in my time but that's a rarity. The problem with electric trucks is they don't fit with how the industry runs currently. Yea I know change the entire industry to fit the truck right? :laughing:

In a perfect eutopia drivers would show up to a shipper on schedule with a trailer that's clean and prepped ready for loading and the shipper would have the load waiting on the dock ready to load. 10-30 minutes later the truck would be ready to roll paperwork in hand.

In the real world the driver might show up ready to go at the appointment time but the load isn't ready for another 3 hours. The load may be ready but the driver is 3 hours late and the trailer is a mess and needs washing before loading. If the driver is on time and the load is ready odds are the system will crash and they'll be waiting on paperwork for 3 hours. Any way you look at it the whole system is against timely delivery and loading it's why we are allowed to drive 11 hours a day, we are usually lucky to get 8 hours of actual driving in due to negligence or just bad luck on someone else's behalf.

I think with autopilot enabled it should allow drivers to go way longer. hopefully the laws change.

lol who am i kidding. they will cut allowable hours for some reason

Good break down.
How efficient are your batteries delivering that DC to the motor?

In the big picture, getting electricity from the power plant to your tires has a lot of losses.

If your doing this to be green your probably loosing if you do all the math.

fuck no its not to be green. the mines are terrible for earth. the chemicals. etc. etc. its prolly a wash between that and oil extraction anyways.

Im not sure and google isnt turning anything up. the model 3 is 97% efficient per google.

grid losses are around 10%. so lets say for every 100kwh i get billed for i'm only really putting 75kwh into the pack. then pack to wheels is another 10% loss to be safe.

still better than gas by a large margin.

I think with autopilot enabled it should allow drivers to go way longer. hopefully the laws change.

lol who am i kidding. they will cut allowable hours for some reason

They are talking about them having a lead truck that connects wirelessly to others behind it to run like a train. I can see that working across parts of the Midwest but that's about it. Auto pilot is a long ways off I think, especially for something with so much potential carnage when 80k barrels through traffic while habib sleeps.

Electric would be great for in town shuttle work and on the shipping ports but real OTR is not going to happen for a long time. Not unless they do like electric fork lifts and swap batteries out at stops vs trying to fast charge.

They are talking about them having a lead truck that connects wirelessly to others behind it to run like a train. I can see that working across parts of the Midwest but that's about it. Auto pilot is a long ways off I think, especially for something with so much potential carnage when 80k barrels through traffic while habib sleeps.

Electric would be great for in town shuttle work and on the shipping ports but real OTR is not going to happen for a long time. Not unless they do like electric fork lifts and swap batteries out at stops vs trying to fast charge.

i've heard AP is great on highways. in town not so much.

OTR team driving electric is a long long ways off.

Take away government subsidies and let make it own their own.

Can they make it a viable choice and affordable , IDK .

Love to see some real world testing though.

take away all subsidies and see what real prices are?

tesla doesn't get subsidies anymore anyways. but they sure did benefit from them to get to this point.

Top Back Refresh