What's new

Anyone else have a nissan leaf for a daily driver?

I've looked at the charging stations around my work on plugshare.com it seems there's three different types of plugs is there adapters or do you have to find your type of plug? Also anyone that has put a lot of miles on one what's been your biggest maintenance expense ? I may consider one once there are more used one's for sale my commuter car budget is not much as of right now.

sigh. this is a big problem with electric compared to gas. gas is show up. nozzle works. stick it in and go. no thinking. it just works.

J1772 is the most common one for level 2 charging. its the standard for AC charging. ccs is just j1772 with 2 big fat DC pins slapped on it. makes for faster charging. chadameo is the old japanese standard the leaf has but is going away in favor of CCS.

basically by the time it matters for you j1772 and ccs will be it.

tesla has their own deal with one plug covering everything wish i wont get into. you can get tesla to j1772 adapters but only for AC level 2 charging.

I really wish they were required to have one standard like the EU. multiple brand stations all with the same plug.

Electric cars don't haul 48k lbs of freight down the road 300-500mi a day.

wow you cant haul 5000 containers across an ocean with your truck? its a piece of shit. keep that shit away from real freight haulers.

see how stupid you sound? different reasons for transportation require different solutions. a daily driver for a person going to an office or to the parts store doesnt require a tractor trailer.

My wife daily drives a Yukon. Im looking for an Excursion with a V10 for her.

Nissan Leafs are gayer 8 guys fucking 9 guys.

​​​​​​

I absolutely would drive one, they're actually quicker than my current daily, a depressingly stock ALH jetta wagon. 90hp (when new) and 4000 lbs

They're just too expensive for the initial purchase, new enough that insurance would go up, and since I run waste oil in my diesel it would cost a lot more to run.

wow you cant haul 5000 containers across an ocean with your truck? its a piece of shit. keep that shit away from real freight haulers.

see how stupid you sound? different reasons for transportation require different solutions. a daily driver for a person going to an office or to the parts store doesnt require a tractor trailer.

Trucks dont float. Shows how stupid you are.

[486 said:
;n210159]I absolutely would drive one, they're actually quicker than my current daily, a depressingly stock ALH jetta wagon. 90hp (when new) and 4000 lbs

They're just too expensive for the initial purchase, new enough that insurance would go up, and since I run waste oil in my diesel it would cost a lot more to run.

we get it. you're a manly man with big dick energy. you smoke unfiltered camels. you rub 80-90 on your balls. you dont use an ass gasket at the truck stop.

MANLY MAN.

did that help your fragile ego enough?

Hey retard , like it or not everything comes by truck , educate yourself so you can sound a little less stupid. :flipoff2:

ETA ; trains , barges , airplanes , ocean vessels don't get it to your door.

It it takes premium fuel that is "Not supposed to go bad as quickly" are regular.

Gas also lasts a huge amount longer if they've got a properly sealed evaporative emissions system that can hold a few psi of pressure.
Even just the normal half psi that most of them run at helps a ton over an old style atmospheric pressure fuel tank.

No idea if they actually did up the relief pressure of the system on the volt, but it would be an easy way for them to address that concern if they were actually engineering around it.

Hey retard , like it or not everything comes by truck , educate yourself so you can sound a little less stupid. :flipoff2:

yea I'm perfectly happy things come by truck. what does that have to do with my daily driver? or for the matter his work vehicle? its not remotely the same thing to compare. hence the ship comparison.

we get it. you're a manly man with big dick energy. you smoke unfiltered camels. you rub 80-90 on your balls. you dont use an ass gasket at the truck stop.

MANLY MAN.

did that help your fragile ego enough?

lol
I also have a honda insight, the first gen one that looks like a suppository. Buying a house got in the way of buttoning up the engine swap on that one though. HX40 on an ALH tdi should be good for around 350hp and it should be well under 2000 lbs

I daily an 09 hybrid Tahoe. I run it year round in Alberta, even in -40C/F weather. It runs the ICE until the batteries warm up when it is that cold outside but the electric motors do just fine. It has a 330hp/370ftlb 6.0L ICE plus a pair of 80hp electric motors. When you romp on it, it runs the ICE plus one of the electric motors in a direct drive configuration and puts 410hp to the rear diff. There are no transmission losses without the torque converter. It hauls the mail pretty damn well. The electronically variable transmission takes a little bit of getting used to, but does a great job of putting power to the ground and is extremely beefy being roughly based on a 4 speed Allison HD truck transmission.

I'd happily run a plug in hybrid or fully EV for my next daily driver once I've miled the Tahoe out or something major fails. Work has told me that they'd consider installing a couple EV charge stations at the plant. Makes for a nice feel good news article or something.

I should also mention - Nothing gives me greater joy than parking my big ass Tahoe with a winch bumper on it in the green vehicle parking spots throughout town and watching the city people sputter :laughing:
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

93180899_10163928882245500_3804906682803290112_o.jpg

I daily an 09 hybrid Tahoe. I run it year round in Alberta, even in -40C/F weather. It runs the ICE until the batteries warm up when it is that cold outside but the electric motors do just fine. It has a 330hp/370ftlb 6.0L ICE plus a pair of 80hp electric motors. When you romp on it, it runs the ICE plus one of the electric motors in a direct drive configuration and puts 410hp to the rear diff. There are no transmission losses without the torque converter. It hauls the mail pretty damn well. The electronically variable transmission takes a little bit of getting used to, but does a great job of putting power to the ground and is extremely beefy being roughly based on a 4 speed Allison HD truck transmission.

I'd happily run a plug in hybrid or fully EV for my next daily driver once I've miled the Tahoe out or something major fails. Work has told me that they'd consider installing a couple EV charge stations at the plant. Makes for a nice feel good news article or something.

I should also mention - Nothing gives me greater joy than parking my big ass Tahoe with a winch bumper on it in the green vehicle parking spots throughout town and watching the city people sputter :laughing:
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

how bad does cold up there impact the battery? hours to warm up?

I care about the environment. So I ride a bicycle across the street to work.....Where I promptly get in the 475hp 15 liter CAT powered longhood Pete that gets 5mpg to offset me riding my bike across the street. :flipoff2:

Reactions: IGT
how bad does cold up there impact the battery? hours to warm up?

It takes about 20 minutes for it to warm up enough to autostop the engine and run EV. The battery doesn't have a heater in it. The battery energy module makes plenty of heat while charging and discharging the 300V battery and usually needs to run a cooling fan to shed heat. It warms up on it's own pretty quick. The cabin is heated with coolant like a conventional vehicle. If the coolant temp drops out of a certain range then it'll fire the ICE up to bring the coolant temp back up.

The Tahoe is still primarily driven off the ICE. It runs EV no faster than 30mph. It runs a combination of gas and electric at higher speeds. Most my driving is highway, so it loses some fuel economy in the cold but otherwise it's no worse for wear than any other vehicle when it is that bloody cold outside.

It has a 330hp/370ftlb 6.0L ICE plus a pair of 80hp electric motors. ​

sounds like the older hybrid rav4 models
they went and stuck the hybrid stuff onto the v6 model that's already pretty dang quick on its own

real neat how they did the hybrid stuff too, it's a normal engine and FWD trans up front, then in the back they use the 4wd unit bearings and have an electric motor in the rear diff. No driveshaft to the back, and I think there's a high voltage alternator on the ICE...
only really shitty part is that they got the toyota traction control of that era, so you can't get them sideways in the snow good, maybe if you pulled the ABS fuse but that's too much effort for a 10 minute test drive.

Crappy thing with the leaf is the short range even in ideal conditions.

I beat on a g1 VOLT for 100 miles or so, about 8 charge cycles. when the ice fires up after flogging a full pack to nothing it sounds pissed. power gets reduced cause it lacks cooling. It scoots and the caddy level sound deadening is nice, the hot air heater is resistive and a power hog.

The 110 charger takes 14 hours or more, the cheap charger plug at the 110 end would get hot, it goes into an ice maintenance mode every so many hours runs the engine and stuff, steel fuel tank... 4 seater, weird center console front to back. some good design features not switchable gas-electric. If you should take the door panel off and drive it while waiting on parts the fuel filler door cannot be opened but the plug in can with the remote, the front wheel bearings last about the same miles a good set of brakes should, but these brakes last forever from regen.

I prefer the prius of the eco boxes I've driven it doesn't overheat and cut power.

Last edited:
internal combustion engine
Crappy thing with the leaf is the short range even in ideal conditions.

I beat on a g1 for 100 miles or so, about 8 charge cycles. when the ice fires up after flogging a full pack to nothing it sounds pissed.

wait what? I thought the first gen leaf was all electric

For OP and anybody else running electric (especially non-hybrid): How much did your monthly electric bill increase? Do you have to pay for the charging stations at rest areas, etc?

Am I the only person here who has never even touched a hybrid?

The only electric cars I have ever touched was my Powerwheels Jeep and Bigfoot monster truck and sisters Barbie Jeep as a kid.

Top Back Refresh