What's new

Anyone actually use the Milestar black label tires?

I've never ran them, but I have bugged everyone I have seen with these tires and tried to find every review/video I could about them. The 38" size would be perfect for my Taco.

The consensus seems to be that the black label "sticky" is kind of a "semi-sticky" rubber - not a full comp tire compound, but softer than a regular street tire. It is said to hook up well on dry rocks. It's also a regular closed cell rubber so snow is fine.

The tread pattern works well on dry rocks, and also in snow. A friend runs 40s on his FZJ80 in deep snow and loves them. But, once you add mud to the mix the tread can't keep clean and packs up fast. That alone killed the idea of running them on wet PNW trails.

So if you're in a drier climate and want to run them on dry rocks and maybe in snow, they may be worth a shot.

This is all second hand info so I may also be talking out my ass here... :shaking: :D

I've never ran them, but I have bugged everyone I have seen with these tires and tried to find every review/video I could about them. The 38" size would be perfect for my Taco.

The consensus seems to be that the black label "sticky" is kind of a "semi-sticky" rubber - not a full comp tire compound, but softer than a regular street tire. It is said to hook up well on dry rocks. It's also a regular closed cell rubber so snow is fine.

The tread pattern works well on dry rocks, and also in snow. A friend runs 40s on his FZJ80 in deep snow and loves them. But, once you add mud to the mix the tread can't keep clean and packs up fast. That alone killed the idea of running them on wet PNW trails.

So if you're in a drier climate and want to run them on dry rocks and maybe in snow, they may be worth a shot.

This is all second hand info so I may also be talking out my ass here... :shaking: :D

I have considered getting them and just grooving the tires to handle the occasional mud. Haven't made that call though.

I ran them in a 40 on my buggy for a season, all over JV, They hook up great on dry rock and generally worked very good out here. They held up pretty good over all and I did not worry about any durability with them, I just pulled them a few weeks ago to step up to 42s. But overall I was happy with them, I wouldn't hesitate to run another set one day.

All I can say is Woody is still running them in Sand Hollow. I've seen him drive some amazing lines with them.

I think any tire made out of rubber will drive "amazing lines" out at Sand Hollow :flipoff2:

Woody has been pretty open about the fact that he runs them because the price to performance ratio is right. Based on what I've seen from a set of the 40" black labels a buddy had a on his one ton Cherokee, and later his buggy, I think I agree with Woody. They are good tires for the price, but certainly not the best out there. My buddy ended up shredding the sidewall on one trying to climb a smooth slick rock wall. The sidewalls on them are paper thin, like less than 1/4" at the thinnest spot. He switched to 40" K-spec Nittos afterwards and says they are better in every way.

All that said, it is pretty hard to beat ~$400/ea for a 40" "sticky"

I spent a day wheeling with some folks in Bend when I picked up my buggy. A guy with a single seat rear engine buggy, and his wife with a Suzuki buggy. Both on matching maybe 40” Milestar? Probably black label.
Thats Tydes from the old board and his wife K8. G-Fab motor sports... that rear engine crawler is the Six Shooter.

So what rig/who’s did you end up with?

058F485B-5FC0-4CB8-B3CC-19B238F485C8.jpeg

I didn’t want to name drop and figured anyone who knew them would know exactly who it was.

Opie built me a kind of a 4-seat Banquet with the drivetrain from my XJ.

The 1st set of 42 Milestar Black NHS tires will be in my hands shortly....confirmed today.

Thats Tydes from the old board and his wife K8. G-Fab motor sports... that rear engine crawler is the Six Shooter.

So what rig/who’s did you end up with?

058F485B-5FC0-4CB8-B3CC-19B238F485C8.jpeg
derail..... so this raw steel part on the knuckle. is that welded to the high steer arm as a bit of beef to help with high steer bolt sheering?

derail..... so this raw steel part on the knuckle. is that welded to the high steer arm as a bit of beef to help with high steer bolt sheering?

Yeah. I'd guess that's a factory knuckle (cast iron) so not the easiest thing to weld to. I did similar on a set of Crane knuckles that are cast steel (easily welded to) for the same reason...but I welded the 'spanner plate' directly to the knuckle since it was cast steel. Just ties things together and makes them stronger in theory.

Basically, what's happening in the photo is the spanner plate is tying the high steer arm to the factory steering arm. Some arms, like the Artec's and Ballistic Fab's, have a 'bulge' in the arm that aligns over the top of the factory steering arm hole location. Then you just run a 8.5" long 3/4" diameter bolt through the high steer arm and the factory arm and that greatly increases the strength.

Here's a link to the arms I'm referring to: ALUMINUM Ultimate 60 High Steer Arms - Pair - 5 bolt

Top Back Refresh