What's new

Anyone actually use the Milestar black label tires?

Waternut

Member Number
Loc
Macon, GA
Like the title says... I'm trying to see if anyone has actually used them. I like the concept of a semi-sticky tire. Not sure I'm ready to make the necessary axle and suspension changes to go all the way to a full 40" sticky but a 40" or under semi-sticky may be within reason.

I currently have 38.5" TSL SX's on a 15" wheel and they seem to do what I ask within reason. They flex well with a bit of tire grooving and 4psi but their life is running out so I'm trying to weigh my options. The simple solution is buy what I have again but not sure that's the right decision.

Obviously, cost is a concern and it's a bit more than just tires. If I go with the TSL's again, it's around $1600 for new tires and I'm done. If I go with a true sticky, I will be forced into 17" wheels which isn't all bad but it I'm easily looking at $3000+ even if I weld up some basic 17" steel beadlock wheels. If I go with the black labels, it'd be somewhere in the middle of the price range with new beadlock wheels for what is being advertised as somewhere in the middle of the grip.

@meiser over on pirate has ran them you can search his name over there to read his comments. He has reported good wear in the street and good traction. I see a shit ton of jk guys running them and a few buggies.

personally on anything with any mud I can’t see them working worth a shit due to tread design.

I wheel with a LJ that runs them. His only complaint is he has cut 3 sidewalls that had to be vulcanized.

@meiser over on pirate has ran them you can search his name over there to read his comments. He has reported good wear in the street and good traction. I see a shit ton of jk guys running them and a few buggies.

personally on anything with any mud I can’t see them working worth a shit due to tread design.

Thanks. I'm reading through his posts. It's Mieser for anyone else who wants to search.

The fact that it sounds like he goes back and forth between the Milestars and Pro Comp's makes me think that maybe they aren't that much better. Although he does have beadlocks on his Pro Comps.

Disclaimer: I have never ran them, this is my 2 cents based upon what I have researched.

If you ask the sponsored Influencers, they are the best tire ever. If you ask the poors who bought them because they were the cheapest tire they could find at the time, they will tell you they got what they paid for. I'm not sure of the deals people got, but now they are near the price of a good proven tire.
I only know of one KOH racer that runs them and it looks like his main sponsor is Milestar.
Racers have been known to pass up free tire sponsorship's because they know it could cost them the race, so they buy a proven brand out of pocket.

In the Jeeper realm some are pissed off by getting dooped by the influencers who got them for free or discounted and hyped up and found out they are not worth what you pay. Milestar marketing really did a great job at hyping up the tire.

Check out Simple Tire: they have Nitto MT for almost the same price as Patagonia
https://simpletire.com/tire-sizes/40-13.50R17

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I have never ran them, this is my 2 cents based upon what I have researched.

If you ask the sponsored Influencers, they are the best tire ever. If you ask the poors who bought them because they were the cheapest tire they could find at the time, they will tell you they got what they paid for. I'm not sure of the deals people got, but now they are near the price of a good proven tire.
I only know of one KOH racer that runs them and it looks like his main sponsor is Milestar.
Racers have been known to pass up free tire sponsorship's because they know it could cost them the race, so they buy a proven brand out of pocket.

In the Jeeper realm some are pissed off by getting dooped by the influencers who got them for free or discounted and hyped up and found out they are not worth what you pay. Milestar marketing really did a great job at hyping up the tire.

Check out Simple Tire: they have Nitto MT for almost the same price as Patagonia

It's the same thing every time a tire company comes out with an Mt. Look at the mtr Kevlar. Those were THE tire for a while, koh, UA, they could do anything! Untill everyone realized they had super weak sidewalls, despite the "bulletproof" claim. :rolleyes:

That's why I wanted to ask. The only real reviews I've found so far are from people who were given the tires for testing or are sponsored youtuber's. Kind of hard to make an educated decision based on that. Been trying to sift through regular vs black label along with facts and first hand stupidity as well.

I'm not defending anything here but I will point out that there are a lot of people in the JK community that run the standard Milestar tires and not black labels and the different compounds do get lumped in together at times. From what I've seen first hand, most of these people couldn't even tell you how the tires worked offroad because they never go offroad. They'll put big tires on 20" wheels inflated to stock pressures at the tire shop and driven on the road for their entire life. Then they wear unevenly because they don't rotate the tire or don't know how to inflate the tires properly and they immediately become the worst tire they've ever used....at least until the next set of big mud tires they buy and use solely on the road. I've even seen comments on how expensive the 37's were and how they should get better quality for that price. Meanwhile it's one of the cheapest 37's out there.

It's the same thing every time a tire company comes out with an Mt. Look at the mtr Kevlar. Those were THE tire for a while, koh, UA, they could do anything! Untill everyone realized they had super weak sidewalls, despite the "bulletproof" claim. :rolleyes:

I think the sidewalls may be what turns me off of them. I was looking at possibly trying to buy a "no questions asked warranty" on the tires but that could still ruin a wheeling trip. Not sure "no questions asked" would apply to grooved tires either and I feel like grooving the centers would drastically help in loose terrain.

I think the sidewalls may be what turns me off of them. I was looking at possibly trying to buy a "no questions asked warranty" on the tires but that could still ruin a wheeling trip. Not sure "no questions asked" would apply to grooved tires either and I feel like grooving the centers would drastically help in loose terrain.

4wheel parts is really good about warrantys, you don't even have to turn in the whole tire, just the dot number area.

4wheel parts is really good about warrantys, you don't even have to turn in the whole tire, just the dot number area.

I’ve had good lunch as well. I’ve warrantied tires 8 years later.

I run the 37" black label, I bought one of the first 37" sets sold I paid right at $300 each with taxes shipped. I wheel mostly in KY, TN, and MO. Not the greatest mud tire (I grooved mine a bit to try and help this), work well on rocks and general trail riding, I've had zero issues with sidewalls. I've got roughly 300 trail miles on them and maybe 200 road miles.

That said the price seems to have gone up quite a bit, not sure i'd buy them again at current price over bfg, cooper, maxxis, etc

Here are a couple videos of them

https://youtu.be/FG2Oz97pfoA

https://youtu.be/0IZ3IvID2o0

photo32881.jpg

photo32882.jpg

I spent a day wheeling with some folks in Bend when I picked up my buggy. A guy with a single seat rear engine buggy, and his wife with a Suzuki buggy. Both on matching maybe 40” Milestar? Probably black label.

I would say my Trepador stickies were better in June, but he said that the Patagonias were more consistent throughout the year. Where a true sticky might start to suffer at 35 degrees, the Patagonias were a fairly consistent traction winter or summer.

I have the regular Pats, not the black/ sticky version. Paid 1250 for 5 37s OTD. They suck in mud trying to get traction on rocks. Did good in looser rock and in Moab. I hear a big complaint is mileage. My JL is weekend cruiser not a daily so I didn’t mind. I’ve been happy with my tire choice. They did chunk easily when I wheeled in New Mexico but Discount replaced the tire for me. I’ve pinned mine up against rocks pretty hard and the sidewalls held up great. But I do agree the YT influencers did a hell of a job screwing over Jeepers :lmao:

Everyone speculates they will suck in mud, but the putter lugs have bigger voids than almost anything short of a tsl or similar.

I have them in a 285 :flipoff2: on a 4runner and they seem OK, I bought them when I wasn't driving it except in the woods, then plans changed and I put like 15k miles on it in a few months. They aren't exactly highway tires :laughing: shocker.

Everyone speculates they will suck in mud, but the putter lugs have bigger voids than almost anything short of a tsl or similar.

I have them in a 285 :flipoff2: on a 4runner and they seem OK, I bought them when I wasn't driving it except in the woods, then plans changed and I put like 15k miles on it in a few months. They aren't exactly highway tires :laughing: shocker.

I'm guessing you're talking about the regular Pat's.

Either way, I don't think it takes much speculation to say they suck compared to a TSL or bogger when used in a sloppy mess. Heck they have almost 1/4" less tread depth than a comparable super swamper tire straight off the shelf. Most people are judging them based on what is an ideal tire for the conditions and admittedly, it's not a fair comparison. I imagine they'll do ok if you get in some muddy dirt. However, most people looking to drop around $2k on offroad specific tires are looking for more than just "ok". It's the same story when people say that TSL's and boggers suck on the road. You would not have driven 15k miles on boggers and said they were "fine". Not saying they can't but it's different expectations.

thread right here....having run Tsl's, and boggers....and tsl sx, I LOVE My nittos. ANs 17" wheels arent horrible. You wont regret the upgrade

Look at the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's if your still undecided. Not stickys but work awesome off road.

My dad has a set of blems on his buggy... Super impressed, they work about as good as my nittos, but the sidewall doesnt look as robust....but it may prove to be just as good

I'm guessing you're talking about the regular Pat's.

Either way, I don't think it takes much speculation to say they suck compared to a TSL or bogger when used in a sloppy mess. Heck they have almost 1/4" less tread depth than a comparable super swamper tire straight off the shelf. Most people are judging them based on what is an ideal tire for the conditions and admittedly, it's not a fair comparison. I imagine they'll do ok if you get in some muddy dirt. However, most people looking to drop around $2k on offroad specific tires are looking for more than just "ok". It's the same story when people say that TSL's and boggers suck on the road. You would not have driven 15k miles on boggers and said they were "fine". Not saying they can't but it's different expectations.

Yes, i agree.

I feel like comparing a milestar or nitto trail grappler to say a trepador or bogger just seems silly.

I'm running a set of 37s (non-black lable) on the JKU (it came with the tires). They've done much better than I would have expected offroad. My last JKU had 35 MTRs that did very well here in central Texas. That being said, the Pats are super sketchy on any road with moisture. I've nearly lost control coming down a hill on a curve and have lost traction simply taking off from a red light or turning a corner. My next set of tires will be something else.

I'm running a set of 37s (non-black lable) on the JKU (it came with the tires). They've done much better than I would have expected offroad. My last JKU had 35 MTRs that did very well here in central Texas. That being said, the Pats are super sketchy on any road with moisture. I've nearly lost control coming down a hill on a curve and have lost traction simply taking off from a red light or turning a corner. My next set of tires will be something else.

I feel like I noticed the same thing driving in 1" of snow. They weren't that way when new, but at a little over half tread, all the sipping is gone.

if youre the type that has problems destroying tires the only place you should buy new offroad tires is 4wp, the warranty is 100000% worth it. ive warrantied about 8 tires through them due to sidewall punctures and saved many hundreds of dollars :grinpimp:
if its over 50% tread you get a new one, less than that its pro rated towards a new tire

I run the same tire and size on my 2019 Tundra and my experience is the exact opposite, these things have been a great tire including in the rain for the 10K miles I have on them.

I love it when people running the regular Patagonia chime in, like the street versions are even remotely close to the same as the sticky version :lmao:

For reference, I run the standard pats on my zj.. but I won't tell you how they are because you didn't ask about those.

I love it when people running the regular Patagonia chime in, like the street versions are even remotely close to the same as the sticky version :lmao:

For reference, I run the standard pats on my zj.. but I won't tell you how they are because you didn't ask about those.

True :flipoff2:​​​​​​

I didn't say anything at first, but the thread turned, and I kinda forgot what the op asked. :laughing:

I'm still interested in the black labels. Haven't heard much good besides from people who got them for free.

This is IBB...... You should be impressed that we are still on the same topic. Usually half way through page one all hope is lost. :laughing:

I spent a day wheeling with some folks in Bend when I picked up my buggy. A guy with a single seat rear engine buggy, and his wife with a Suzuki buggy. Both on matching maybe 40” Milestar? Probably black label.

I would say my Trepador stickies were better in June, but he said that the Patagonias were more consistent throughout the year. Where a true sticky might start to suffer at 35 degrees, the Patagonias were a fairly consistent traction winter or summer.

Sounds like you got the influencer talk :grinpimp:

more importantly what buggy did you buy?

Sounds like you got the influencer talk :grinpimp:

more importantly what buggy did you buy?

Maybe I did, but I’m still going to stay with Trepadors or maybe Krawlers next time.

Those Guys Rod & Customs FTH-4. There are pictures in the “Four Seater” thread.

Reactions: POR
Maybe I did, but I’m still going to stay with Trepadors or maybe Krawlers next time.

Those Guys Rod & Customs FTH-4. There are pictures in the “Four Seater” thread.

You really can't go wrong with either..

Nice car. If that car works as well as Brian's you'll love it.

Top Back Refresh