What's new

Any Love for OBS Fords in here?

I don't even know what the fuck you guys are talking about? :flipoff2:

Obn?

Wes?

I'm just supposed to search the whole internet for a russ and Wes? :flipoff2:

I'm just curious if anyone has used a billet wheel or other budget turbo upgrades. I've read about them in the diesel ricer forums, but those forums also say you don't need an intercooler with stock injectors :rolleyes:

​​​

Is this for a powerstroke or idi?

Ive got a soft spot for this one, inherited from my dad, i found it for him in 2013, 168k, zf5, never tuned and slow as crap but awesome truck nonetheless

photo4736.jpg

photo4737.jpg

photo4738.jpg

Ive got a soft spot for this one, inherited from my dad, i found it for him in 2013, 168k, zf5, never tuned and slow as crap but awesome truck nonetheless

I know everyone says an exhaust makes a huge difference on any diesel, when really most stock exhausts are not that bad. These are the exception, the down pipe looks like a cobra and flows like shit, you can even just do a downpipe and leave the rest of the exhaust stock if you want, but get rid of the damn cobra.

Well I ordered the pipes from the link I posted. $140 isn't worth my time and frustration to try and build my own. I'd probably have $100 in elbows anyway. I'll report back how they fit.

I also ordered just the billet wheel. $180 why not, lots of good reviews, especially for the riff raff version. Not expecting leaps and bounds of power but a little quicker spool will be nice, especially if it's not all leaking out into the atmosphere :laughing:

94 460 zf5.

20181213_205909.jpg

If your upgrading to sd axles i highly recommend finding an 08+ parts truck and changing over the rear suspension. Springs are 8 inches longer. Use the shackle from the 08 in the stock location and move the front hangar forward. Iirc you need to drill out 1 hole but the rest are there.

94 460 zf5.

If your upgrading to sd axles i highly recommend finding an 08+ parts truck and changing over the rear suspension. Springs are 8 inches longer. Use the shackle from the 08 in the stock location and move the front hangar forward. Iirc you need to drill out 1 hole but the rest are there.

Just be careful of the newer F250s, some of them use a 2 leaf pack, basically like a half ton. Which also carries weight like a half ton. My old boss bought an F250 brand new when the 6.7 came out and our empty deck over had it sagging pretty bad. Air bags were an easy fix, but not everyone wants to go that route.

I've never noticed much ride difference from a 99-07 to an 08+ rear though. In fact the 08 F350 I used to use at the same company rode pretty rough empty.

I have all 99-04 leafs in mine, the rears bolted in and made a big difference, even being a 1 ton 4 leaf pack. I ended up using the 97 bumper over load pieces though.

Either way the coils are a big difference, especially turning radius.

I sold this one a while back that I literally pulled out of a field. 1992 F350 IDI ZF5 with a hopped up 94 turbo system. 3" outlet, 3" downpipe, wicked wheel, cowl induction (HUGE help), lots of fuel. I think it would peak around 11psi. It had a ramsey worm drive winch on it that only worked once :laughing:, I built a sleep platform in the back that was basically an apartment with that high grandpa topper on the back. It was a cool truck, but it was a maintenance pig as a result of neglect, age, rust, and Ford :flipoff2:. I put a ton of work into it and it towed/ran pretty well for its age. It ended up with a stuck lifter and made that choo choo train noise, that's where I drew the line. It wasn't worth an engine swap because the chassis was so beat and it wasn't really worth putting the work and money into the engine to me. It was a noisy and rough riding for a long distance tow rig when you're bringing your wife along. I actually did alright on the sale because the interior was in very good shape.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	183.4 KB ID:	23082

Last edited:
I know everyone says an exhaust makes a huge difference on any diesel, when really most stock exhausts are not that bad. These are the exception, the down pipe looks like a cobra and flows like shit, you can even just do a downpipe and leave the rest of the exhaust stock if you want, but get rid of the damn cobra.

It does have a 3" DP and 4" exhaust, It does need up pipes...so theres power on the table there

Buy it and you can take all the pics you want! :flipoff2:

I can snap more if you want. What do you need to see?

lol, ive already got a fummins project. or itd be tempting. my buddy has a 93 f350 with a ve pump 12v and the zf6. he has been having overheating issues due to injectors that are a touch bigger than an aurora 3000 can manage when towing. so ive been trying to talk him into twins. if you have any pics of the twins from the side that show the mounting and the frame rail, thatd be awesome. what turbos did you use?

Welp, here it is boys. This is what sex on wheels looks like. Finally got it done.

It's fer sale too. Inquire within.

I never understood this. Spend many months, money and sweat on your dream project just to sell it and a huge loss?

My buddy up the road has a similar truck, CCSB compound turbo p pump, 5 spd, 05+ axles and suspension, badass flatbed, ect. Just after he got it all the way he wanted, it's for sale :laughing:

lol, ive already got a fummins project. or itd be tempting. my buddy has a 93 f350 with a ve pump 12v and the zf6. he has been having overheating issues due to injectors that are a touch bigger than an aurora 3000 can manage when towing. so ive been trying to talk him into twins. if you have any pics of the twins from the side that show the mounting and the frame rail, thatd be awesome. what turbos did you use?

The high pressure turbo is an Industrial Injection Phatshaft 62/65/.70 with a compressor housing for a 3rd gen 5.9L (the outlet pointed where I needed it to be).

The atmosphere turbo is a box stock BW S480. 80/96/1.32

The hot pipe is all wrapped up so you can't see it, but it and the manifold came from Diesel Power Source. Its a 3 piece manifold and the hot pipe is cast. They have both held up very well. They have 100k on them before I swapped them over to this new engine.

No cutting or modifying the frame for the big turbo at all.

IMG_20200921_181824435.jpg
IMG_20200921_181756151.jpg
IMG_20200921_181726698.jpg
IMG_20200921_181713426.jpg

I never understood this. Spend many months, money and sweat on your dream project just to sell it and a huge loss?

My buddy up the road has a similar truck, CCSB compound turbo p pump, 5 spd, 05+ axles and suspension, badass flatbed, ect. Just after he got it all the way he wanted, it's for sale :laughing:

Everything is for sale for the right price!

I have too many trucks. I love this truck, it's a blast to drive. But I also own a Ram3500 DRW that is just more truck. It's got bigger everything. Axles, brakes, suspension, Engine, transmission, etc., etc.,. It just does BDL's better than my Fummins.

They are both for sale, and whichever one sells first, goes. I have a 1/2 Ford too that does light duty pickup truck stuff. But it's in need of resto.

Then I have an old '49 IH KB6 that is gonna get a Cummins and a 13speed if I ever find time and if the pallet of parts I bought from Grendel ever get here.

Oh and I have 2 flatfender Willy's that don't get wheeled enough. :frown:

I think I need an intervention.

​​​​​​​

Everything is for sale for the right price!

I have too many trucks. I love this truck, it's a blast to drive. But I also own a Ram3500 DRW that is just more truck. It's got bigger everything. Axles, brakes, suspension, Engine, transmission, etc., etc.,. It just does BDL's better than my Fummins.

They are both for sale, and whichever one sells first, goes. I have a 1/2 Ford too that does light duty pickup truck stuff. But it's in need of resto.

Then I have an old '49 IH KB6 that is gonna get a Cummins and a 13speed if I ever find time and if the pallet of parts I bought from Grendel ever get here.

Oh and I have 2 flatfender Willy's that don't get wheeled enough. :frown:

I think I need an intervention.

4 trucks is too many? those are rookie numbers,

Kinda. It's a very small town I live in but there are ordinances limiting the number of vehicles on your property and mandating that all of them are licensed and insured. It's fawking dumb. But...I'm in commierado and can't quite afford to buy land out of town to build on. :frown:

If I had less fawking trucks to keep running, I could maybe afford to get out of town. :flipoff2:

Was looking through CL/FB earlier. Someone needs to explain to me why people think a 94-97 is worth more than a 99-03?

People are down right retarded asking $15k+ for a 300k "OBS". Yet I can find 200k SDs for less. The SD platform is far superior is every way :confused:

Was looking through CL/FB earlier. Someone needs to explain to me why people think a 94-97 is worth more than a 99-03?

People are down right retarded asking $15k+ for a 300k "OBS". Yet I can find 200k SDs for less. The SD platform is far superior is every way :confused:

Presmog in CA is probably a big one.

I really like both platforms, but I don't agree that they're better in every way. The body on the SD is thin and dents much easier, obs is more oldscool iron. I like the obs dash better also. Not to mention wing windows bitch! :flipoff2:

Wing windows for life yo! :flipoff2:

The trucks they call OBS are just classy. Sharp, straight lines. Metal outside door and tailgate handles. Actual front wheel bearings that you can take apart and repack.

A​ Tcase shifter that sticks up thru a hole in the floor. Hubs that you have to get out of the truck and lock in after you're stuck and have already pulled said tcase into gear.

99+ trucks don't really have anything more to offer than disk brakes in the back. They're made out of thinner and rounder metal and they just don't look as good.

Wing windows for life yo! :flipoff2:

The trucks they call OBS are just classy. Sharp, straight lines. Metal outside door and tailgate handles. Actual front wheel bearings that you can take apart and repack.

A​ Tcase shifter that sticks up thru a hole in the floor. Hubs that you have to get out of the truck and lock in after you're stuck and have already pulled said tcase into gear.

99+ trucks don't really have anything more to offer than disk brakes in the back. They're made out of thinner and rounder metal and they just don't look as good.

99-04 can be had with a manual tcase. Hubs were semi manual? But had some issues, easy fix though.

Intercooler was a pretty big upgrade, slightly better transmissions.

Better mirrors :homer:

Also, they seemed to get rid of the semi style ridiculous frame flex in the SD.

Another nice thing about the SD is they used the same basic platform until 2016, so lot of factory upgrades available.

My 97 7.3 Auto 220k miles. 1.0 turbo housing/billet wheel, 6.0 trans cooler and Intercooler, Roadrunner billet triple disk converter.

Wears many hats: Daily driver, tow rig, weekend camper and kiddo hauler.

Click image for larger version Name:	20201018_123631.jpg Views:	0 Size:	196.1 KB ID:	177800
Click image for larger version Name:	87 300ZX.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.3 KB ID:	177801

Top Back Refresh