What's new

99-04 unit bearing brakes for 609 build

this is a likely solution, does anyone make a brake for an NP231?

edit...answered my own question.

I may end up going down this road.

I was also thinking about buying a parking brake caliper and disassembling it to see what I could do to space it out enough to fit a 1.5" thick rotor.

Side note, got my truck on the road and it stops very well with the brake setup. Have the factory S10 dual diaphragm booster and an 89 2500 Suburban MC.

The 2004 F250 rear would probably work with the Wilwood e-caliper, the ID will need to be turned out to 129.2mm to fit the UB.

37B22BC9-B492-481E-A1A4-18515901554F.jpeg

I run 98 Tacoma rotors and 1987 ifs calipers (4 piston) on my 99-04 unit bearings that are 6x5.5. You could redrill the rotors to 5x5.5.

Yep, simple and flat. I don’t have a picture of the second version that in set the caliper to get more rotor contact
Got any more pictures of this caliper mount and spacing? I'm planning to run older Toyota calipers for non vented rotors on a set of 9" with 99-04 outers that I'm building. I will run spidertrax rotors because i already have them and if I have to make a hat to get the spacing correct.

IIRC he used Reid Super Kingpins with 05+ unit bearings which meant he physically can't run a 5x5.5 pattern anyway due to the size of the hub. I don't know whether he's 8x6.5 or 170mm, but I think he's using parts that don't much apply here. Was worth a shot though
I went 8x170. So far, very happy with the whole build. Only thing I would do differently is if I was a trailer queen... I'd go with those branik direct drive stub shafts.

8x170 and 8x6.5 both have their merits. There's more 8x6.5 on the trail if I ever need a spare... but 8x170 is becoming more popular as 05+ becomes more of a standard in "tons". But 8x170 05+ UB you can get easy from any parts store. With 8x6.5 you'd still have to drill out the pattern on the 05+ UBs. I went with the parts store option... doesn't make it right or wrong. And it's only a matter of time until I find out which option is better! Haha

But regardless... either way... still not in 609 territory :( i do want to go portals tho sooner or later :)

So been scratching my head im looking for some info on brakes to use on my 609 i know theres the branik leagacy stuff but im cheap and dont want to drop $1900 on brakes. So what i have is a trailgear 9” housing, 99-04 sd 60 knuckles, stock unit bearings machined to 5x5.5 and im looking for some info on brakes yes ive been searching but havent found anything good. As far as part numbers etc. if anyone has any info please chime in
Just read the OP... I'm using the wilwood ebrake calipers.... and the dynalite regular calipers. Both are available in the "popular" rotor sizes that are readily available for the 99-04 UBs. I can lock up 40s easy with a stock toyota v6 brake booster and master. Haven't played with the ability to treat the parking brakes as cutting brakes yet... but they hold at 2500lb grip force. So, in theory, you could wire them all up separately and have 4 corner control of your parking brakes.

Just read the OP... I'm using the wilwood ebrake calipers.... and the dynalite regular calipers. Both are available in the "popular" rotor sizes that are readily available for the 99-04 UBs. I can lock up 40s easy with a stock toyota v6 brake booster and master. Haven't played with the ability to treat the parking brakes as cutting brakes yet... but they hold at 2500lb grip force. So, in theory, you could wire them all up separately and have 4 corner control of your parking brakes.
And what rotors and regular calipers are you using? Wasn’t it the busted knuckle kit?

Top Back Refresh