What's new

'95 Ram 3500 12v - school me

all dually 2nd gen rams have D80.

D70, especially D70U, belongs in the scrap pile. They just won't last behind a cummins.
Why is the 70U any worse than any other 70? I'm too lazy to re-read the whole D70 thread. :laughing:

Why is the 70U any worse than any other 70? I'm too lazy to re-read the whole D70 thread. :laughing:
Probably because smaller axle tubes and 32 spline shafts. It's still a good doner axle and I think the Ford 70u(2U?) has 35 spline shafts and a smooth bottom chunk.

they use D60 pinion bearings. And the Cummins for some reason kills carrier bearings.

It personally happened to me, even. My truck had D70U (my truck was on it's second or third D70U assembly, not original to the truck) when its carrier bearings failed. I put a D80 in to fix it, or known as "install and forget it".

Axle tubes and the bullshit 32 spline shafts are least of a concern. its all within the center section.

Yeah, just lower it and then when you need to do real work you can use your other truck.:flipoff2:

But at least it will look cool burnin' up and down the highway, in the city, or on the pavement.

Crazy enough, I do 99.5% of my towing on the pavement. Weird.

they use D60 pinion bearings. And the Cummins for some reason kills carrier bearings.

It personally happened to me, even. My truck had D70U (my truck was on it's second or third D70U assembly, not original to the truck) when its carrier bearings failed. I put a D80 in to fix it, or known as "install and forget it".

Axle tubes and the bullshit 32 spline shafts are least of a concern. its all within the center section.

Then you have the SRW 80 which is an abortion. I've been trying to trade for a DRW 80 with no luck (disc for disc).

Crazy enough, I do 99.5% of my towing on the pavement. Weird.

Pretty normal for a dedicated tow rig. But since you're an advocate for lowered 2wd trucks I'm sure the people on this board would like to know more about how to lessen their ground clearance and gear selection.

Top Back Refresh