What's new

85 Xtra Cab Evolution

Where did you mount your tail lights with the tubed rear? I'm making progress on mine and trying to think about where I'm going to out them.

I used some of the oval 6In trailer lights mounted vertically on some sheet metal in the inner side of the tubing to keep it out of the rocks and trees.

Still working on the 2RZ Turbo. But as usual, I get sidetracked. I had been looking for a new cab for a while and picked this one up for a potential cab swap. Way to nice to even consider swapping onto the crawler. No dents, all glass is in tact and no rust. Needless to say, I have something else to work on now. Potentially a swap on to a donor chassis and frame.. Ill probably just end up chopping my cab on the crawler and replacing it with some tube and an aluminum skinned roof.
86.jpg
86 rear.jpg
86 front.jpg

Looks awesome.

The extra torque from the long stroke/turbo will be great.

Winch been paying nice?

Thanks!

Winch is still running strong (still has the ground that we added at K2). I pulled off the grille to get access to the tube/fin steering cooler and mounted it in the rear on the back half. I needed a measurement for an intercooler and will address the winch wiring while I'm there.

Quite the score on that cab. It’s even the right color! Go ahead and let me know when it’s in your way and I’ll come get it...:flipoff2:

I got some help from a buddy and reworked the front suspension, shock mounts, steering mount. It was all based around a subframe assembly that he had developed for another build. Overall, I'm stoked. I have more up-travel front and rear and my overall ride height is right at 3" lower. had to do a little maintenance while I was in there with a new PSC TC pump, belt and pulley.

shock tower.jpg
shock tower2.jpg
sub 2.jpg
sub 1.jpg

Added a Joes Racing steering wheel and quick car disconnect for shits and giggles. I eliminated My steering column controls during the process which forced me to rewire the headlights. Moved the Vision X pods to the OEM location and put some Baja Designs S1s on the bump bar.

lights.jpg

Still dicking with the 2RZ Turbo build. Harness came in las week I and got it plugged in. I think I have my preliminary routing for the intercooler set up but wont know till I get it in the engine bay. getting real damn close to pulling the 22re.

harness.jpg
turbo1.jpg
turbo2.jpg

Currently getting the exhaust finished, HDPE skids mounted and fabricating a Trans pan skid which will attach to the subframe assembly.

Hopefully shaking it down next week in Mason @ K2

Last edited:
Appreciate it. I always joke its the longest relationship I've been able to keep! 12 yrs of ownership this past February..
I know right? My Tacoma is tied with my wife as my longest relationship, 17yrs!! I think she beats the Tacoma by 4months or so.

BTW I have pulled off that boner-like BOV assembly on the cold side of the TB. I finally found the right part to get it done correctly.

Last edited:
Started on the 2rz swap. Just have to clean up some wiring and add a little paint hopefully.
9E27D783-2C2D-49ED-9A40-BEC1198376C2.jpeg
732C0DB3-77FF-4F3C-A4FE-25DE3E000DFE.jpeg
172E704D-9048-422A-84D8-60FF5E00277C.jpeg

Last edited:
Managed to get a test fit of the 2rz in over the weekend. I still have to replace the Trans mount and install the torque converter.
No major clearance issues besides the brake lines and the fuel pressure regulator. I ordered some parts to start mocking up the intercooler piping so I can size the intercooler to the space I have available in front of the radiator and above my M8000.

test fit 1.jpg

test fit 2.jpg

Pretty sure my frame is slightly tweaked on the driver side. The mounts didn't want to line up. Had to re-drill a motor mount hole. Finished up a lot of the little shit : Torque converter to flex plate bolted up, installed the starter and associated wiring, spliced in a new pig tail to convert the round alternator plug to a a flat 3 pin, reworked and re-ran a bunch of hoses and lines. Got my intercooler somewhat mocked up. I wanted to use a universal one but couldn't find one in the dimensions That I needed. I found one for a Volvo S40 that fit the bill and was only a hundred bucks so I gave it a try. Looks like my grille will fit over it nicely with some slight mods.

Handy diagram for converting the alternator plug from a 22re to a 2RZ

201104262158_Toyota_Alt_Pinouts.png

intercooler.jpg
side.jpg
top.jpg

Tried to fire it last night to no avail. One of the brand new injectors is leaking at the fuel rail and I discovered a leak coming from my TurboSmart Fuel Press Regulator. I have to pull that and check it out. I may try the OEM FPR to see if I can get it to run. May have to get an aftermarket fuel rail from Paradise if this one is fukd.. Mo Problems means Mo $$$

I got the engine to run this past week after replacing the leaky injector. Looks like I knocked the upper o ring when I installed it. I had to relocate the FPR and re plumb the fuel return line. Intercooler is mocked up and plumbed in. I need a few more tube clamps. Now to get all of the gauges wired in and some sort of exhaust added.
EB8DD2C5-AF21-41D4-8A9A-8E9892670F01.jpeg

Last edited:
I had to reroute the IC piping to make room for my steering resi. Retrofitted a sheet metal dash and got 90 percent of the gauges installed. Getting close to a test drive. Going to try to get the steering and last bit of wiring knocked out this week.
05408CD1-CD99-4F1C-9EE6-9B06F375B4C9.jpeg
A30DCD3D-7B10-4DC7-ABF4-6CCB9E3129BE.jpeg
8EA65FCE-7BFD-4533-A933-443A4F7286C7.jpeg
DC6AB864-F6D9-42A5-B570-6908E38EB10D.jpeg
C4D6C9FB-D089-4047-884F-6685091891E2.jpeg

I finally got the new engine to run correctly today. Surprisingly the right MAF sensor will do that. I have about 3 weeks to get my long list of shit done now.

Worked on re-routing the the fuel return hose last night. Since the OEM 22re feed and return lines are on the pass side, they come pretty dam close to the the turbo exhaust. Too close for comfort. Will get the fuel feed rerouted this evening to be safe. Also got the PSC resi plumbed to the steering pump, filled and bled. Getting really close to driving under its own power soon.

Did some reassembly today. Installed a restrictor on the oil feed, replumbed the turbo drain, installed new turbo manifold studs, fabbed up the exhaust with a race bullet resonator, fixed the crushed Atlas breather hose and reinstalled the rear skid. Most importantly the smoking issue is gone. Pulled it out of the garage for the first time since June. Power is there it wants to drive through the brakes.

40A4F51E-6604-47A2-8A70-16926A4A4722.jpeg
0D275EFF-3695-402D-9B23-54E8DC05431F.jpeg
98EFE1FB-22C2-41EC-9368-84418A080769.jpeg
E1D5BA38-C465-4E4C-80C0-4CE40A86BEBC.jpeg
52C5A132-A61C-4880-8C26-77250C304F7C.jpeg

I have a 7lb spring in my waste gate. This weekend should be a good test to see if the turbo can spool correctly. I’m hoping the manually controlled auto will help build boost as well. May be a little trial and error in the beginning.

Had to clearance the hood for the IC piping and PSC resi.. Not super happy with it but it will have to work. Still need to install the Hood pins since the factory latch was removed for the intercooler.

IMG_5958.JPG
IMG_5959.JPG

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh