What's new

5.9 ZJ build

TOMS97ZJ

What?
Member Number
Loc
Japatul Valley, CA
Getting back into ZJ’s and I am in the planning stages.

Picked up a 98 5.9 two weeks ago. Runs great. Pretty much stock with a little bb lift.

Unlike all the previous jeeps I plan to do this slow and once.

I’m still in the figure shit out phase so I can be talked into doing it different.

8.8’s and 44’s are getting a pain to find.

I’m leaning towards just doing Super duty axles and not worrying about a bunch of aftermarket parts. They should be strong enough stock to handle how I drive.

Less than 2k and I can have both axles complete.

IRO doesn’t make a front truss for these axles so I am looking at Barne4wd.

I emailed both companies to see if this will work with the IRO long arms.

Picked up some 2x6 1/4” thick to make rocket sliders.

Attachments

• IMG_6279.jpeg
    IMG_6279.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6287.jpeg
    IMG_6287.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
Took it out for a spin with my buddy.

Not too shabby for basically stock.

Attachments

• IMG_4069.jpeg
    IMG_4069.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4068.jpeg
    IMG_4068.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6370.jpeg
    IMG_6370.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 8
Big jump going from 8.8s and 44s to SuperDuty axles. With all the strength and width comes packaging and weight.

Are you prepared for having your tires sticking out a foot and the axles weighing as much as the rest of the truck?

Not saying it isn't the right choice but it's a big jump. I didn't see anything in your post about what outcome you are looking for.

BTW I just narrowed some 60s for my S10 and I'm on 33s. I didn't want some monster but I also didn't want axles I'd dump a bunch of money into and they would still be half tons. But making it all work was definitely a tall order since most trucks on tons end up being monsters and and less DD at that point.

Thanks for the reply.

Things long term just a toy.

The extra width doesn’t bother me.

Availability is the main thing. Finding 8.8’s and 44 is a pita and cost more than finding the SD axles. I’ll already need to truss and do extra work so I’d like to do it once.

Weight doesn’t bother me either.

Not having to regear, not worrying about breaking. Those are pros.

Ive had lots of ZJ’s and I’d like to build this right. A monster is what I want. lol

I hear ya

That was one of the main reasons I made the jump. Practically nothing for axles in my area.

If you aren't regearing then I'd hold out for a 4.30 set with a locker. Worth the extra money. I have 3.73s on 33s and it's less then stellar. Sure I also have a tired 5.7 pushing them around but next up is gears/lockers and that's going to be $3k all day long.

If this is just a toy then yeah probably the right path. Buy once cry once. Set up the 1 tons and go hammer down.

Personally I think 44s or 8.8s have their place but most people myself included chase tire size. You always end up under axle'd unless you practice discipline.

I hear ya

That was one of the main reasons I made the jump. Practically nothing for axles in my area.

If you aren't regearing then I'd hold out for a 4.30 set with a locker. Worth the extra money. I have 3.73s on 33s and it's less then stellar. Sure I also have a tired 5.7 pushing them around but next up is gears/lockers and that's going to be $3k all day long.

If this is just a toy then yeah probably the right path. Buy once cry once. Set up the 1 tons and go hammer down.

Personally I think 44s or 8.8s have their place but most people myself included chase tire size. You always end up under axle'd unless you practice discipline.
Hmmm. That’s a good idea. Pick your part says they have 4 of those semi local.

Do all the 4.30’s have lockers? Rears, fronts or both?

4.30 axles are pretty rare. I drove 2 hours to get a set only to find out the tags said 3.73 so yeah great experience...

Not all have the locker. You definitely need to search around but if you aren't dropping the money to do gears and lockers I'd spend the extra few bucks to get the lowest factory gear set. Since the Sterling locker availability isn't great I'd also get the factory one. IMO money sell spent.

Unless the D60 is already built the way you want it I'd hold out for superduty stuff.

Some D60's from vans were great axles.

I don't know that in today's world I'd build a drum brake 30 spline 3-1/8" od tube rear d60 from a truck though. Too many better starting axles for the same dollar, bigger shafts, factory disc's, bigger spindles, etc.

4.30 axles are pretty rare. I drove 2 hours to get a set only to find out the tags said 3.73 so yeah great experience...

Not all have the locker. You definitely need to search around but if you aren't dropping the money to do gears and lockers I'd spend the extra few bucks to get the lowest factory gear set. Since the Sterling locker availability isn't great I'd also get the factory one. IMO money sell spent.
Finding those is indeed a pain. All the listings on the pick your part site are not accurate at all. Some show 4wd front axles and it’s a 2wd truck.

Totally hit or miss, mostly misses. 🤣

Just get 4.10s. The difference between 4.10 and 4:30 isn't much. Less than 10%.

Guy selling super duty axles semi local wants 1k for 3.73’s.

This is another guy selling a different d60. Has disks and is complete.

Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/8OiXKI6a5Hb

Trying to keep this in a budget. 🤣
That semi float 60 looks to be an E250 rear. Those have 35 spline axles and C-clips and are an oddball. Also 8×6 1/2 not 8×170 like a super duty. Just grab a sterling from the junkyard for 350 or whatever LKQ wants these days. Superduty fronts can be had on carpart for like 800 bucks with the gears you want.

Change of plans.

Found a complete 8.8 disk brakes open carrier for 250$. Picking that up Sunday. Gonna try and find a HP 30 over the next few months unless there’s another easy option.

I think I can run 35’s for quite a long time in these without breaking. Lots of strength upgrades available for both.

I ran stock lp30 and d44a for years on 33’s and an Aussie locker. Never broke. lol

Top Back Refresh