What's new

5.4 cam phasers/chains - fix or?

16270678976531478426065.jpg

Well shit

what in the fuckles is that

Projectjunkie That’s not a big deal. grab the lisle 65700 kit. It will come right out. You should be able to get it off of one of the rape vans if you can’t wait on it, but you’re going to pay that premium for the privilege of a different sticker on the box.
Yep. And next time pull them with an impact while it is hot. That is the only way I have gone 8/8 on those.

Thanks for the info, ordering the lisle kit now.
No hurry, they're retired, I brought them 2 30 packs yesterday:laughing:

Reactions: DMG
Yep. And next time pull them with an impact while it is hot. That is the only way I have gone 8/8 on those.
You know, somebody recommended that, I assumed it was because they didn't care....
Interesting take. I'll finish this side, run it, then try 4/4 on drivers side

You know, somebody recommended that, I assumed it was because they didn't care....
Interesting take. I'll finish this side, run it, then try 4/4 on drivers side
I thought it was crazy when I was told about doing it that way but it worked.

ok boys a question, amazon showing a lot of peoplecomplaining about the cloyes set failing early. tensioners or guides.

whats the dealio?

Never had an issue with a Cloyes set in anything. I've seen bad VCT shit or no oil pressure hammer guildes apart in 3v engines though. Amazon reviews are worth what you pay to read them more often than not.

ok how does this happen?

Attachments

• IMG_20211007_194159.jpg
    IMG_20211007_194159.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 49
how does this happen?

engine started, ran

then stalled like 5 min later, but started back

then died 2 miles later, no restart

I ask because this is after i had a shop install them this morning

oem ford phasers, cloyes chain, mellings HV pump

what the hell happened?

That's pretty wild. I've seen lots of bad parts out of the box but an OEM phaser for one of these isn't one of them. That spring normally hooked on a bolt that comes in from the back of the phaser, and there doesn't appear to be any sign of trauma to the end of the spring like it was violently ripped out of where it's supposed to be.

Can this happen from a bad install, being off a few teeth?

the engine started, ran, for him and for me. Seemingly fine.

I would think if it was off, it wouldnt start or run like shit from the get go?

Can this happen from a bad install, being off a few teeth?

the engine started, ran, for him and for me. Seemingly fine.

I would think if it was off, it wouldnt start or run like shit from the get go?
If the timing was off you'd know right away, if it started at all. Nothing during install is going to involve removing the bolt that holds that spring.

If the timing was off you'd know right away, if it started at all. Nothing during install is going to involve removing the bolt that holds that spring.

so its a bolt that holds it, not a rivet or something? can it back off? or probably snap?

I just need to know whether I buy another phaser due to a fluke, or some other issue. Mechanic was puzzled and surprised too.

ok how does this happen?
Somebody fucked up something..........
Did it have oil pressure on start up? did they prime the oil pump before installation? They're sure gonna say they did, but somebody did something stupid, I've done this job quite a few time already and a few seconds after start up I can tell they make more oil pressure with the Melling HV pump, you can just hear the difference. And I prime every oil pump, if you don't they won't make oil pressure because the pump doesn't have oil to make the seal so it can suck up the oil, I've seen guys fuck this up.

how does lack of oil pressure break that pin?

the ONE time i take a vehicoe to a shop, this happens. ugh :homer:

Last edited:
The bolt that holds it holds the cover on the back of the phaser and it could snap I guess, I'd imagine that it baking out would crash into the head and be obvious.

What's fucking sad is that for hasn't figured out how to build a proper VCT system to this day. 3.5EB turbos are fucking plagued with the exact same VCT issues and timing stretch/wear issues as the 5.4s up to an including the 2018s...

Fucking garbage.

My 2011 3.5 had all phasers and timing redone at 75k km. Not optimistic for the future.

If you get bored or just want to learn there is a guy on u-toob that is a Ford mech. His vids are very informative and paced so even I can follow them :lmao:
FordTechMakeuloco

Top Back Refresh