What's new

2nd Hand JK - 1 Ton Phase

For all of those following along (nobody) I found the steering issue. My theory about the JMX heims being too stiff for steering was correct. Swapped the heims out for Barnes standard heims and it steers like a dream! Took the kiddos out to Calico to wheel the Odessa Duran loop for a shake down. Jeep did great! Need to move a brake line out back and find a clunk in the suspension but apart from that it is dialed for offroad.

Figuring out the brake feel and ABS/Traction control interference on road are the next tasks.

Attachments

• Jk Calico.jpg
    Jk Calico.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 9
Calico video below. It was beautiful out there.

Attachments

• IMG_0450.MOV
    45.9 MB
Nice to know about the tight heims, would not have figured that. I've got a quirky steering JK with either a barnes or ruffstuff heim steering kit but I think it's a bad clockspring/angle sensor deal.

Does yours randomly engage ABS NDCjeepsmith I have heard that is an isuse with a bad clockspring.

Nice find on the heims and good to know. I will put that in my brain so next time someone has bad steering I will ask...I guess it makes sense. Those JMX Heims are so tight which is nice for links but I guess they play havoc on steering.

Nice to know about the tight heims, would not have figured that. I've got a quirky steering JK with either a barnes or ruffstuff heim steering kit but I think it's a bad clockspring/angle sensor deal.
I'm interested what your symptoms are??

Darty.... loose feeling, then when correcting it tightens and over corrects... kind of feeling. Sometimes it will track ok, then veer off. Sometimes pulls but it will change which way depending on how it's feeling at that moment.

I've replaced all bushings, hubs, BJs and a new to it steering box. My trailer axle straightening guy said it did have bent axles but rear was straightened, offset BJs were put in. It does check out "OK" in an alignment rack.

I've not dealt with anything so quirky... a buddy did tell a story of his driving fine and one trip after wheeling it was pulling, darty, quirky, on way back home. It was the steering tweaked just a tad and angle sensor was kicking in traction control/abs and making it drive odd.

So I've got a new clockspring coming. I do know it is bad as I have no horn.

Darty.... loose feeling, then when correcting it tightens and over corrects... kind of feeling. Sometimes it will track ok, then veer off. Sometimes pulls but it will change which way depending on how it's feeling at that moment.

I've replaced all bushings, hubs, BJs and a new to it steering box. My trailer axle straightening guy said it did have bent axles but rear was straightened, offset BJs were put in. It does check out "OK" in an alignment rack.

I've not dealt with anything so quirky... a buddy did tell a story of his driving fine and one trip after wheeling it was pulling, darty, quirky, on way back home. It was the steering tweaked just a tad and angle sensor was kicking in traction control/abs and making it drive odd.

So I've got a new clockspring coming. I do know it is bad as I have no horn.

What is your caster at?

Data point.

I measured the clock spring out of my 2010 JKU and it has 5 turns lock to lock. So technically, if you didn't have the steering wheel held in place when everything else is unhooked it IS possible to be a full rotation off. That would drive the esc crazy.

Castor was 4.5 off the rack but I put more in it until I got slight vibes. Want to say it's 5.7 now

I cut up the pitman arm and added 3/4" of length to it. The steering now goes all the way to the Dana 60 steering stops which i am pleased with. Even more exciting is that the constant traction control and ABS interference is gone. Clearly the computer was looking for more steering angle than the steering setup was actually giving. This also lets me know that my longer pitman arm has the steering ratio close to stock so I do not think this will be more wear and tear on the box than a regular JK axle on 37's.

Never heard of that being a fix. That’s wild but awesome!

I don’t know what specs the J8 master cylinder offers. In principle master bore size and stroke needs to match the vehicle the calipers came from. I think you mentioned SD calipers. Dialed brakes on axle swaps is not easy.

The ABS thing sounds intermittent. I would trace and all sensors and wiring.

How are you bleeding the calipers?

Steering. Your caster is a tad high. Too much caster can make things feel tight because it’s trying to return to center. For reference old scout Dana 44s had zero caster. Typically 5 to 7 degrees should be fine. 1/8” toe should also work.

Can post a pick of your steering setup from a on view? Track bar included.

Hopefully the false tcs/abs activation is resolved.

If not, do you have access to a decent scan tool that can show live data? Id start with watching the 4 wheel speed sensor readings in real time. Some scanners give to he option to see the data on a line graph. If there are random spikes or lack of signal then I'd take a look at the sensors, the wiring, or maybe even the front unit bearings.

Also, did you change the tone ring count in the computer? Did you install 52 or 60 tooth tone rings on the 14 bolt hubs?

Cool build!

ABS TCS faults have been resolved. My next move is going to be reducing caster a couple degrees to see if the steering feel is a little more comfortable. I will also be adding mud flaps (something I never thought I would say) but this thing flings road grime up the sides so bad its shocking.

Master cylinder took a shit. Swapped it out with a similar unit (big break master) from rock auto. Same 1 1/16th bore so the brakes are still spongy and weak, but its usable. I need to pony up and order a J8 setup at some point. Took the family up to Big bear and ran John Bull. Wife drove the trail and we had A/C on with Disney kids songs playing all day. This thing impressed me as it didn't misbehave in any way. My 4 year old spotting mom on the trail was too funny.

Attachments

• Kiddo Spotting Jk.jpg
    Kiddo Spotting Jk.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 5
Slapped the J8 Master and booster in after Northridge got a batch of them. Brakes finally have normal pedal feel. They are still not as strong as they should be but its adequate now at least. Packing up and heading to the rubicon next week.

Top Back Refresh