What's new

2nd gen Tundra SAS rustjob

apimpdad

I hate everything
Member Number
Loc
Lakeland, FL
Here we have a 2008 Tundra 5.7 4x4 that lived in New York for some time. Made it's way down to Florida and was tagged and driving up until maybe 2 years ago when the brake lines finally rusted apart and locked up. My buddy bought the truck for $1k and we found a set of 4.30 leaf spring Super Duty axles for around $700 and started to swap it.

We decided to hack all the bad stuff off and start from scratch both front and rear. 4x2x3/16 rec tube for the new frame rails and your typical ruffstuff and Barnes bracketry and some Chevy 63s and 4" square body front leafs.

The goal here is remain pretty cheap. 40's, welded diffs, full hydro steering, flatbed, simple bed cage/roll bar. Not worried about keeping the ride height too low

What we were workin with. The center section of the frame, under the cab, is still in decent shape so we just cut the front off where one normally would

IMG_2468.JPG

IMG_2469.JPG

Hacked the front end off and started on the new frame section and motor mounts

IMG_2424.JPG

IMG_2472.JPG

IMG_2473.JPG

IMG_2474.JPG

IMG_2465.JPG

Weekly update

• Frame plates done except for the remaining plate from the body mount to the plate I already welded and halfway primed
  • Front spring hangers 90% done. Front bumper will tie into the spring mount area and the open end of the 4x2
  • Winch plate done
  • Springs and axle mounted minus shackles

38's for mockup. Like I said, low ride height isn't a priority lol. I was going to shorten the wheelbase once I started the rear but with the ride height and at least 40s, I think the longer wheelbase will remain and work well. Shackles for the springs will be next on the list. The plating on the bottom of the frame is 3/16" and covers up some pretty thin spots that were on the stock frame. This will prevent the shackle from shooting through the bottom of the frame at any point :laughing:

IMG_2510.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG

IMG_2512.JPG

IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2518.JPG

It is miserably hot here so I haven't done much more other than getting the shackle mounts welded on and some of the frame primed and painted. I did order most everything for the full hydro steering today.

IMG_2576.JPG

IMG_2577.JPG

Huge fail on the shackles. Should have put hangers through the frame instead under it.

It looks like shackles through the frame would be easy from the pictures…. But the pictures don’t show the frame width, so it’s hard to tell if even possible.

But it would be cool if it was an easy a change as the interwebs thinks.

What’s the caster at currently? Just curious

It looks like shackles through the frame would be easy from the pictures…. But the pictures don’t show the frame width, so it’s hard to tell if even possible.

But it would be cool if it was an easy a change as the interwebs thinks.

What’s the caster at currently? Just curious
The frame is wide and it is curving out where the shackles mount. I would have had to notch the frame and french the hangers like I did on my truck but we couldn't justify it. I guess I could have considered mounting the shackles on the front of the springs but I don't care for the ride quality that brings.

Castor I will have to check again. Its laid back quite a bit at the moment but the rear of the truck is also sitting way lower so final castor number won't be as drastic when done

and then?

:flipoff2:
Been too fuggin hot :flipoff2:

Made a Ruffstuff order at the beginning of this month and those losers still haven't shipped anything. Most everything to finish up the front of this thing is on that order so waiting on them. This is probably the last time I will use them after countless recent issues.

I did manage to get the passenger unit bearing swapped out but that's about it.

Barnes ftw, although they have been out of alot of stuff lately. At least it's not 5days of shipping to reach this side of the country!:laughing:

Barnes ftw, although they have been out of alot of stuff lately. At least it's not 5days of shipping to reach this side of the country!:laughing:
I try to use Barnes as much as possible but you're right, always out of stock of what I need. It's hard to beat RuffStuff's selection too though

Top Back Refresh