What's new

2bbs 2021 bronco build

I have a 3.8l jk on 40’s that’s only seen a trailer to come home from Seattle. Something is definitely off with yours. I’m sure that a bronco is more comfy and posh, but my jk was also built as a wheeler, with minimal fancy shit, rubber floor and all.
Agreed. Something is definitely off with mine. I usually like having my camper van at the trailhead, so it hasn’t been a priority since I’ve owned it. I’ll fix it one day, but for now I leave the stickies on it and go party.

So has the broken bolt from this video made the rounds in the Bronco forums? Any emails about the misalignment spacer go out yet or do you have the race version?

Start at 11 minutes.

I've just heard of stock tie rods breaking. Sounded like it was a portal thing.

I havnt watched the above video yet but I was
I've just heard of stock tie rods breaking. Sounded like it was a portal thing.
Running hardened 5/8 bolts through rpg tie rods and stock knuckles.

I didnt break any bolts but im amazed I didnt. The bolts were so bent I had to cut them out to take things apart.

Rumor was that Von was breaking bolts so 74 weld was adding a double sheer mount to the portals.... and thays what I got

Last edited:
Heres a close up I had in my phone with a bolt that is obviously wrong.

The double sheer upper bracket is keyed in a crazy way to where it doesnt need those little bolts to hold it but those draw it into place
Screenshot_20240318_092321_Gallery.jpg

What your picture has is probably the solution they came up with after what happened in the video happened. I thought the video was recent wheeling. I guess they did it way back, and they actually discuss what the problem was and what a solution would be. Ah the magic of television.

What your picture has is probably the solution they came up with after what happened in the video happened. I thought the video was recent wheeling. I guess they did it way back, and they actually discuss what the problem was and what a solution would be. Ah the magic of television.

Correct. I asked 74 weld to build my knuckles to be dual sheer the tuesday after that video was filmed. He told me about what had just happened and that it was in the works

That video was I think 6-8 months ago when it actually happened.

2big bronco You get this thing figured out or no? I've been reading about the 74Weld Portals for the last couple days and it really does seem like the way to go, but I only want a stick shift and I'd like no problems with when the time comes. Considering what I had in my last DD/Off-Road rig, $20k for the Portals and another $4K for wheels and tires really isn't that bad if you start with the right platform. I had probably that same amount in my old truck on 35's. Portals get you better gearing and 37's all in one shot.

So, is it a limitation of the Ford software that prevents setting it up right? That seems to be the case with the largest tire size of 2800 and max gearing of 5.40, but Forscan won't play ball? That's what I gather from this thread and the one over on B6G. I guess that winds up being the question, is Forscan worthless for a Portal'd Bronco so far as tire and gear is concerned and you have to go Procal or did you get Forscan to stop being fucky?

Going off the online calculator on Spicers site (Spicer Transmission Ratio RPM Calculator), the max values should get you about 1mph off at 2000 rpm.

Factory
FD - 4.7
Tire - 32.5
RPM - 2000
6th Gear - 0.646
Speed - 63.72mph

Portal w/Max Settings in Forscan or Procal (the best I can determine)
FD - 5.40
Tire - 37 (2800mm in Forscan apparently, or 2890, depends on what you read)
RPM - 2000
6th Gear - 0.646
Speed - 63.13mph

At the end of the day, do you just set Forscan or Procal to the max settings and send it to shut the computers up?

2big bronco You get this thing figured out or no? I've been reading about the 74Weld Portals for the last couple days and it really does seem like the way to go, but I only want a stick shift and I'd like no problems with when the time comes. Considering what I had in my last DD/Off-Road rig, $20k for the Portals and another $4K for wheels and tires really isn't that bad if you start with the right platform. I had probably that same amount in my old truck on 35's. Portals get you better gearing and 37's all in one shot.

So, is it a limitation of the Ford software that prevents setting it up right? That seems to be the case with the largest tire size of 2800 and max gearing of 5.40, but Forscan won't play ball? That's what I gather from this thread and the one over on B6G. I guess that winds up being the question, is Forscan worthless for a Portal'd Bronco so far as tire and gear is concerned and you have to go Procal or did you get Forscan to stop being fucky?

Going off the online calculator on Spicers site (Spicer Transmission Ratio RPM Calculator), the max values should get you about 1mph off at 2000 rpm.

Factory
FD - 4.7
Tire - 32.5
RPM - 2000
6th Gear - 0.646
Speed - 63.72mph

FD - 5.40
RPM - 2000
6th Gear - 0.646
Speed - 63.13mph

At the end of the day, do you just set Forscan or Procal to the max settings and send it to shut the computers up?

At the end of the day there are some numbers that you can input that make no sence mathematically that have worked for both me and Another person that shuts the computer up but trips a hard code for things being out of spec. P160a I think it is. It doesnt show a check engine light or anything but shows with a scanner.

Whats weird is If I change the magic numbers even a little things wont work... I am running 37s and Dave is running 40s but both seem to be ok with the same inputs.

Factory
FD - 4.7
Tire - 32.5
RPM - 2000
6th Gear - 0.646
Speed - 63.72mph

FD - 5.40
RPM - 2000
6th Gear - 0.646
Speed - 63.13mph

At the end of the day there are some numbers that you can input that make no sence mathematically that have worked for both me and Another person that shuts the computer up but trips a hard code for things being out of spec. P160a I think it is. It doesnt show a check engine light or anything but shows with a scanner.

Whats weird is If I change the magic numbers even a little things wont work... I am running 37s and Dave is running 40s but both seem to be ok with the same inputs.

And no, just setting to max allowed settings wont work. At least not for me.

At the end of the day there are some numbers that you can input that make no sense mathematically that have worked for both me and Another person that shuts the computer up but trips a hard code for things being out of spec. P160a I think it is. It doesn't show a check engine light or anything but shows with a scanner.

What's weird is If I change the magic numbers even a little things won't work... I am running 37s and Dave is running 40s but both seem to be ok with the same inputs.

And no, just setting to max allowed settings won't work. At least not for me.

Interesting. Gotta be a limitation of the Ford software.

Top Back Refresh