What's new

-2016 VS 2017+ F350 with 6.7

Tiha

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Central Iowa
Anyone have any feed back on the 2017 aluminum trucks?

Thinking about upgrading my work truck. Currently 2014 F250 SCSB lariat 6.7 185K miles. Nothing really wrong with it, but it rides like crap and is ready to need a bunch of other work. Got some dings from hail and pushing snow. Some rust is coming. trans shifts funny. I am getting noises in 4x4 now. All stuff easy to fix but maybe I should dump it now in this truck market.

Looking at newer trucks. Found a 2016 almost identical to what I have with only 16K miles. for $65k.
Or I can get into something 2017 and newer for $10k more, but also more miles.

Is it worth it to have the 2017 + trucks? Trying to compare options to only difference I really see is the body style. I don't care about that so much. I want a quiet smooth ride.

There is about a $20k value difference between my 2014 and the 2016, or about $30k between the 2014 and 2017.

Just wondering if it is worth the extra money.

Went from 2016 to 2021.

I honestly regret it. I like the 2016 much better overall. Specifically, ergonomics and the 6-speed over the 10.

In my opinion, it's better to just keep your current vehicle fixing the issues than buying another used vehicle. The market is unreasonably high and there is no guarantee that the used vehicle you buy will not have issue that crop up after you've purchased it.

Good luck with whatever you decide... :beer:

Went from 2016 to 2021.

I honestly regret it. I like the 2016 much better overall. Specifically, ergonomics and the 6-speed over the 10.
I also prefer the interior of the steel body to the interior of the aluminum trucks. The aluminum trucks are significantly quieter inside than the steel body though. I think I’d like to find a 15 or 16 to replace my 10 but waiting on clown world to fold before I do.

In my opinion, it's better to just keep your current vehicle fixing the issues than buying another used vehicle. The market is unreasonably high and there is no guarantee that the used vehicle you buy will not have issue that crop up after you've purchased it.
You are right and I usually agree. But in this unreasonably high market the dealer wants my old truck pretty bad. So the swap isn't out of line like if I were to walk in and buy something without a trade.

The inflated value of the newer trucks is erased by the inflated value of my trade.

I figure I have about $10k of work my pickup will need before next winter. Even if I do that I still have a body that is scratched, dented and rusty.

Don't know. May not do anything but wanted to feedback on the newer ones, digured there should be some real world info out there by now.

I also prefer the interior of the steel body to the interior of the aluminum trucks. The aluminum trucks are significantly quieter inside than the steel body though. I think I’d like to find a 15 or 16 to replace my 10 but waiting on clown world to fold before I do.
I've casually been trying to find my 16... even though I know it's kind of dumb to do...

The red one is everything I’m looking for in my next truck. I wish that level of truck didn’t have to have the moon roof, everything else is just the way I want it.

The red one is everything I’m looking for in my next truck. I wish that level of truck didn’t have to have the moon roof, everything else is just the way I want it.
My 2014 is identical to the red one minus clearance lights, navigation, sun roof. and goofy tailgate step.

The only thing I am gaining is less miles. It has been a great truck. Can't complain, but I think that one is a little over priced. Similar trucks in the 20k miles range are in the mid $50's

I hear people rave about the platinum but I honestly have no idea what is better about it.

My 2014 is identical to the red one minus clearance lights, navigation, sun roof. and goofy tailgate step.

The only thing I am gaining is less miles. It has been a great truck. Can't complain, but I think that one is a little over priced. Similar trucks in the 20k miles range are in the mid $50's

I hear people rave about the platinum but I honestly have no idea what is better about it.
Mechanically there is no difference. Same suspension and everything. The only difference is interior packaging. Real leather seats, more do-dads more trim. You’d just have to go sit in one and drive it to see if you care about the stuff for the money. They’re extremely nice no doubt. I love my lariat FX4 package and the newer they get the more stuff they add onto each package.

Some friends of mine bought a 2021 XLT with the FX4 package. It has almost everything my lariat has and more, minus two things. It’s got cloth seats and no sunroof which are exactly how I’d want it if I were ordering one.

I just missed a good one too. Trying to buy a property so remaining debt free till I close kept from being able to jump on it.
That's more important than you think. Buying a car on a note will hammer your financials. Leave closing, then buy the vehicle.

Looking at a 2018 platinum now. Has the electric, folding/retractable side steps. Are those dependable?

Otherwise it checks all of the boxes. Has everything I currently have, lot less miles and newer model.

24k miles $71k price tag. Haven't talked to this dealer about trade value yet.

Looking at a 2018 platinum now. Has the electric, folding/retractable side steps. Are those dependable?
I've always avoided those since its the first thing that rots out and falls off.

I've always avoided those since its the first thing that rots out and falls off.
my 14 has fixed factory side tubes and pushing snow they take a lot of stress. I am surprised they are not bent up. It has pulled the black caps off the back of both of them.

Wife is short, gotta have something. If they fail I can always put aftermarket set on I guess.

Otherwise it checks all of the boxes. Has everything I currently have, lot less miles and newer model.

not sure about the Ford versions, but installed AMP research steps on my wife's rig, and she loves them. I would NOT run AMP's in areas with road salt, though, as the motors are not well sealed.

The few people i know with them have only one complaint - they are used to stepping out of the truck onto the ground, and the steps "get in the way" of that.

my 14 has fixed factory side tubes and pushing snow they take a lot of stress. I am surprised they are not bent up. It has pulled the black caps off the back of both of them.

Wife is short, gotta have something. If they fail I can always put aftermarket set on I guess.
I've never had luck with them. hell, rockers only last a few years here before they get trashed.

My wife is 5'2 and no boards on the 250. Perfect chance to handle the butt to help her in. :grinpimp:

Not sure but a brand new '22 Lariat is $71k here, are the 16's super valuable?
There is a 22 XLT on the lot here that is $75k. But that is the only New thing on the lot.

I think the value of the 16 and older models are kind of the reason I started this thread. Probably lots of old farts like me that is afraid to try the aluminum bodies.

Just for reference the '22 platinum dually I ordered has a X plan price of '81,69x.

My dad is looking at ordering a '22 CC lariat 8' 6.7 with the $71k price.

There is a 22 XLT on the lot here that is $75k. But that is the only New thing on the lot.

I think the value of the 16 and older models are kind of the reason I started this thread. Probably lots of old farts like me that is afraid to try the aluminum bodies.
If you aren't in a rush order one... It's a shit show of when you will get it but until inventory is caught up your used trade will continue to increase in price.

What are you doing with a truck that the aluminum would be a problem? This a cross post quote from another thread going on in GCC

I bet I have more miles in these aluminum trucks than anyone else around here, and it’s all work truck abuse. I live in rust free land so can’t comment on that part, literally the only thing that rust affects here are international scouts. Otherwise they’re holding up good to the life of abuse I put them through. There is one hole stabbed through the bed floor of the one I’m driving now that I don’t know how it happened. I think the aluminum is a lot more dent resistant Than the steel versions are.

The only issue I have had with mine is the front and rear camera got a blue hue to them and now at 32k miles I am starting to feel the beginning stages of a death wobble.
I don't think mine has the updated dw fixed.

I am hoping to get my new truck before addressing the dw or the rear tires.

What are you doing with a truck that the aluminum would be a problem? This a cross post quote from another thread going on in GCC
Nothing really that scares me about the aluminum in particular. I plow with it, it does get dinged up and scraped up, but will it be worse on aluminum?

And when I think aluminum I think of a tin can sound. Assumed they would be noisier and not take the same abuse.

I hauled an ISX cummins in the bed. Dude about broke my tailgate putting it in there. It bent the floor some. Will aluminum be better or worse?

But then I am sure this is not my last pickup so I just as well get used to it.

Going to call the salesman after lunch and have him quote me a new Lariat/platinum/tremor packages and see what is up.
I get fleet pricing so maybe it will be cheaper than I think?

Nothing really that scares me about the aluminum in particular. I plow with it, it does get dinged up and scraped up, but will it be worse on aluminum?

And when I think aluminum I think of a tin can sound. Assumed they would be noisier and not take the same abuse.

I hauled an ISX cummins in the bed. Dude about broke my tailgate putting it in there. It bent the floor some. Will aluminum be better or worse?

But then I am sure this is not my last pickup so I just as well get used to it.

Going to call the salesman after lunch and have him quote me a new Lariat/platinum/tremor packages and see what is up.
I get fleet pricing so maybe it will be cheaper than I think?
They made these out of much thicker aluminum than the steel trucks are made of. So even though they are much lighter, the body itself is much more rigid than the steel trucks were. Definitely quieter inside because of the thicker body material. Bed might be easier to puncture in a single point loading scenario.

Now we all should know by now that in a vehicle fire the body of the aluminum trucks just completely evaporates. Totally true. But it’s not like your salvaging a steel cab truck in the event of a vehicle fire so it’s moot point. I’ve heard of the tearing issue but haven’t seen anything happen to one that would tear one. This is the 3rd aluminum body truck I’ve had and the aluminum construction has not been an issue at all.

I built a lariat on the ford website. What I want comes up to $77,500.

Actually the tremor package is $70 cheaper lol.

Be interesting to see what the salesman can do.

I built a lariat on the ford website. What I want comes up to $77,500.

Actually the tremor package is $70 cheaper lol.

Be interesting to see what the salesman can do.
As you can see knowing how to order a Ford (maybe all) truck is pretty important.
If you option out a lower trim level it gets pricey in comparison to the next trim.

Lariat Ultimate is really nice truck IMO with most all of the desirable options.

When it comes to ordering there is a big difference between the lariat value and lariate ultimate package.

I thought lariats were more standard than that. Too bad. Makes shopping harder.

Yeah exactly, I know several people who got burned by dealers paying ultimate prices for base trims.

Looking at newer trucks. Found a 2016 almost identical to what I have with only 16K miles. for $65k.
There is about a $20k value difference between my 2014 and the 2016, or about $30k between the 2014 and 2017.

Just wondering if it is worth the extra money.

From my perspective? No fucking way.

$20k is another truck. $30k is a nice truck. What makes an alumidooty worth $30k more value wise?

Just another rambling by a poor person. Carry on.

Top Back Refresh